2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2014 4:35 AM by pottrell

Question regarding migration from Flash on Kuler for University

pottrell

Hey guys, on the off chance this gets read I was wondering if I could ask you a question regarding your recent website change on Kuler from Flash to what you're using now, (HTML5?) - It's for my dissertation for university.

1. What made you choose to migrate away from Flash?
      2. How easy was the choice to migrate?

Thanks!

David

• 1. Re: Question regarding migration from Flash on Kuler for University
          Dave E Employee Moderator

Thanks for the question pottrell.  I also see you posted the same on Facebook.  The answer to your question is not a simple one.  But, I'll give you a quick summary.

Usage of the Kuler service has grown to surpass the original capabilities we designed it for.  The new HTML version of Kuler was not just a single front-end change.  We updated the entire stack—in order to provide the right level of performance and scalability for the future. 

There were many factors that led to choosing to build the front-end in HTML vs. Flash.  For instance, we thought about accessibility (browsers and devices), development and maintenance costs, and compatibility with other services like TypeKit and Creative Cloud.  In the end, we chose the technology that we felt best met our users needs and our own resource constraints.

Thanks, Dave

• 2. Re: Question regarding migration from Flash on Kuler for University
            pottrell Level 1

Hi Dave,

Thanks for replying and answering my questions,

Would it be possible to quote you some things you have said in my university report? All I'd need from you is for you to email your message across to my email at hello@davidpottrell.co.uk

Would that be okay?

Thank you so much either way Dave, I appreciate it :-)