12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2014 8:04 AM by A.T. Romano

Where is "Sequence settings?"

Rose Winters

My text renders blurry. On a forum someone else had this problem and was told to check  sequence settings. I can't find it, I've searched every drop down menu I can find.

Thx

• 1. Re: Where is "Sequence settings?"
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Rose Winters

What program are you using? If Premiere Elements, what version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system it is running?

Sequences are a feature of Premiere Pro.

Please clarify and then we will decide what next which might include moving your thread to the Premiere Pro Forum if you have using Premiere Pro instead of Premiere Elements.

If Premiere Elements is your program, in what forum did you find your "sequence settings" suggestion for your text issue?

Where is your text blurry...in titles that you created in the Premiere Elemens Titler or in the disc menus or other?

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Where is "Sequence settings?"
            Rose Winters Level 1

I have elements 11, not pro. I have windows 7. The text looks great til i

render it, them it looks grainy and blurry, like is pixelated

• 3. Re: Where is "Sequence settings?"
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Rose Winters

Thanks for the follow up and confirmation that you are working in Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7, presumed 64 bit system.

Is this text part of a still or video that you are importing into a Premiere Elements 11 project? Or, it this text part of a text title created in the Premiere Elements 11 Titler? If the latter, what font, font style, font size are you using?

Depending on your answers, then we might proceed to discuss how your project is set up....

a. Properties of your source media. Are you dealing with screen captures from another program?

b. Project preset based on the properties of those source media.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Where is "Sequence settings?"
                Rose Winters Level 1

yes 64 bit system.

My project was a very simple one, just a still picture, a fairly high res

photo (jpg)  for three minutes, with music clips and text using Premiere

Elements 11 Titler. The font size varied, from 35 to 60, and  I used  If

the latter, what font, font style, font size are you using?

I used adobe casion pro,and for style I used casion pro gradient. Most

title clips were default text with a couple of rolls and a couple

animations. They look great until I render them, then they pixelate.  The

still picture remained perfect, it was just the text that degraded when I

rendered.

• 5. Re: Where is "Sequence settings?"
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Rose Winters

Thanks for the reply.

Premiere Elements 11 automatically sets the project preset when you open a new project. Typically it is based on the properties of the first drag of file to the Timeline. If the program does not find a project preset to match those file properties, it sets its default (Full 1080i) which may or may not be appropriate for your project. So first question, what project preset is being set by you manually or the project automatically? If you do not know, let us know what its says for Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and pixel aspect ratio.

How high a resolution jpg photo are you using for three minutes? What are the pixel dimensions of it? From what you wrote, there is only one of these in the project. Is that correct?

If you took these text files and put them over a color matte with a color to give a good contrast between color of the font and color of the color matte, is that rendered Timeline text content improved or just the same?

If right click the Edit Mode monitor and select Playback Quality, does it make a difference if the set is for Automatic or Highest?

What is your intended export for this Timeline?

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Where is "Sequence settings?"
                    Rose Winters Level 1

The edit mode is set at 1080i

Time base 29.97 frames/sec

Frame size 1920 x 1080

jpeg size 527 kb, pixel dim  1387 x 1818  (yes, only one photo for entire

video)

playback was set at highest, I tried auto just now, it is still pixelated

The text was already on a black background, very contrasty. (is that a

word? Haha!)

Here's an attachment of the screenshot, in case it helps.

I exported it as an mpg for youtube and the whole thing came out blurry. I

am now attempting to put it in as avi, which may help the youtube issue (it

blurred my photo, weird, but thats a youtube problem, my video was clean.)

• 7. Re: Where is "Sequence settings?"
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Rose Winters

Great details.

The screenshot would be a big help but it did not post. Could you try again on that?

Suggestion if you are not doing this already. Use the Snipping tool of the computer to make a jpg image of the Expert workspace view of the situation. I am particularly interested in how you are using that 1387 x 1818 4:3 jpg in the 16:9 project. Is that a landscape or portrait oriented image?

When you create a titler, the text title will take on the pixel dimensions of the project preset which would be 1920 x 1080 16:9. Are you finding that, if you increase the font size, the text clarity improves?

I will try and do a run through (road test) based on your details later tonight or tomorrow and see what is happening.

More later.

ATR

• 8. Re: Where is "Sequence settings?"
                        Rose Winters Level 1

Okay, here's a weird thing. Attached is a screenshot, which as you'll see

is pixelated. I saved it to pdf but it also looked pixelated as a jpg. I

saved it to a word document.

BUT I took a freeze frame (bitmap) of the exact same frame which turned out

PERFECT, text and all!! So that suggests my playback is the problem. BUT

when I convert to AVI or mpg the pixelation prints. Strange-- my head hurts!

And as you'll see, the size of my photo didnt matter, it is simply centered

against a black background, and the text is over the black area. (I didnt

select the black background, it is the default since the picture is set as

a portrait and the screen is "landscape" so to speak.)

Thanks for hanging in there, I wish I was smarter!

Rose

• 9. Re: Where is "Sequence settings?"
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Rose Winters

Those screenshots are not showing up here for some reason. But let us not let that hold us back.

Let us do the typical background troubleshooting drill before be focus on font, font type, font styles and the Titler.

1. Given you have Premere Elements 11 on Windows 7 (presumed 64 bit).

2. Your project preset is NTSC/AVCHD/Full HD1080i30.

3. What video card does your computer use. (Please check out Device Manager/Display Adapters...when you look there, is there one or two video card listed?) Is your video card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the video card. See how you do. If you need help with this, try at least to supply the name of the video card.

If you have two video cards, we may have to look at disabling one of them.

If you have one video card and its driver is up to date, we can try deleting the BadDrivers.txt file. In Windows 7 64 bit, the path to it is:

Local Disc C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. After you open the program/project again, a new BadDrivers.txt file will be generated. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

4. Please give another try to get that screenshot posted here. It might expedite matters.

With the above areas ruled out, then we can move forward to another line of troubleshooting.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Where is "Sequence settings?"
                            nealeh Level 5

Rose Winters wrote:

I exported it as an mpg for youtube and the whole thing came out blurry.

Can you post the youtube link. It may be that the problem is in your PC display and that the clip could look fine on another computer.

Note that to include screenshots you must login to this forum with a web browser and use the camera icon to insert the image. Images will not post if you are using e-mail to reply to these messages.

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale
                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 11. Re: Where is "Sequence settings?"
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Rose,

For attaching screen-caps to the forum Replies, this article might be useful: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2643538#2643538

While it talks about using Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements, other Image editing software can be used for the initial screen-cap. I think that you are beyond that point, and will benefit most from doing the actual attachment of either a JPEG, or PNG Image into the Reply - the little "camera" icon, on the forum's editing page, will allow for you to do that.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Where is "Sequence settings?"
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Rose Winters

Since my last post I see that both nealeh and Hunt have given you some information on posting screenshots here. The screenshot may or may help to pick up on some aspect of the situation to help us define the core of what currently appears to be a display issue.

Your follow up written information requested in post 9 will be important so that we can rule in or out any video card contributions to your situation.

Looking forward to your results and, if possible, the screenshot of your Premiere Elements workspace demonstrating the issue.

Thanks.

ATR