9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2014 6:34 AM by rob day

info

bford225 Level 1

hey i just saw this video http://tv.adobe.com/watch/make-it-with-creative-cloud/creating-your-business-card/ .

and i am wondering how does it fit with illustrator? im a photographer. i have used dreamweaver, illustrator,

took indesign and failed the classs.

i am only guessing that taking the bussines card into indesign, is to get it ready for print right?

well vista print is a whati am wanting to print from.  i already have my card made in illustrator, i am just revamping.

what is indesign good for if a photographer is using it? i have not really gotten the hold on the idea concept.

• 1. Re: info
          Derek Cross Level 6

To give you a perhaps oversimplified answer:

Photoshop - for optimising, cropping etc photographs (bitmaps - images consisting of pixels).

As a photographer I assume you use Photoshop anyway.

Illustrator - for creating vector graphics (banners, logos).

Dreamweaver is used to create websites and can use objects (eg JPGs, GIFs) that have been created in Photoshop and Illustrator.

InDesign is a desktop publishing application which is used to assemble objects created in Photoshop, Illustrator and other applications and to which type can be added to produce one to multi-page documents such as stationery, books, magazines and eBooks.

For a simple business card you can use Vista's own templates or provide artwork yourself produced from Photoshop or Illustrator or a PDF produced from InDesign.

Derek

• 2. Re: info
            bford225 Level 1

i see. yeah i use use to use photo shop a lot. i still do for only advance techniques. i now use lightroom for getting all my hard core work done. like lets say over 100 images. . then any advance editing. its photo shop. based on my schooling when i first learned how to edit when i was in school. and the program that my school had was photo shop cs3. then cs4 came out and i got it for my self. since then i self taught myself how to use lightroom. becasue i never took the class when it was offered.

as far the other apps. this is what i know how to use. the basics in the following.

1. illustrator, 2. dreamweaver, and 3. just a very touch of indesign.

photo shop very easy for me to use. and im really good at it.

indesign. im still trying to learn how to best fit it into my needs as a photographer. becuse right now. i dont have a designer to pay to help out with things.  so more knowlege of the software, more benifits for me.

now i am planing to go back to learn graphic design as a minor. while i am taking my BA in photography.

as for now. i am using all the apps. self teaching myself. but only ones i have a little understanding how to use. like incopy and indesng, adobe msue. and adobe preimer pro. .

yes the digital publishing is what i am interested in doing. right now i am working on that portfoilo app that you can make using indesign. for photography.  self teaching myself.. as far as online publsihing.

i am wanting to take tools i know. and get them ready for print. and ebooks, magazines, blurb books things like that. i am wanting to have my photography on.

ipad portfoilo app.

now i have an idea. about taking, a flyer, bussines card, brocure, bussiness marketing tools, that photographers use, and turn them into a app. a digital app. thats the main reasson.  without a  year around job. i cant afford to be using all my ink. so i thout of making it digital. but an app. that i can upadate.  that whati am thinking about and with indesign digital publishing idea. i think it can help. but i still dont know how to use indesign that well. becasue i did not pass the class when i was a photo student.

see Design is my weakness. like i had to paint and draw and use the pen tool in illustator. and did not master it. so my teachers said to befriend a designer one day. but with them being busy and such. just the basics in all apps is better understanding for me. thats why i paid for the adobe cloud. access to all the tools.

so as far as indesing, how does it work?

• 3. Re: info
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Here's a suggest for you. Take a look at the InDesign courses on Lynda.com.

This link will get you a one week trial: http://bit.ly/RS0GXs

That should give you an idea of what InDesign is all about.

• 4. Re: info
                bford225 Level 1

okay

• 5. Re: info
                  Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

bford225 wrote:

see Design is my weakness. like i had to paint and draw and use the pen tool in illustator. and did not master it. so my teachers said to befriend a designer one day. but with them being busy and such. just the basics in all apps is better understanding for me. thats why i paid for the adobe cloud. access to all the tools.

Obviously your teachers weren't very good at teaching!

Pen tool is easy to master - there's a billion online tutorials (well maybe not literally a billion!)

As for InDesign -

It's a program for combining objects created in Photoshop, Illustrator, or other programs - that allow a page layout, for business cards, brochures, posters, and anything else that can be in a printed format.

Do you need to bring your Illustrator business cards into InDesign?

Absolutely not! You can make PDFs from Illustrator that will work fine on Vista Print - just make sure you follow their specifications for the file being submitted (you can visit their website for that info).

If you don't know how to use InDesign - or any other Adobe product there's literally a load of videos on tv.adobe.com

And a lot of other resouces.

• 6. Re: info
                    bford225 Level 1

i see. thanks.  what about turing a bussiness card or flyer into a app. can it be done?  a digital bussiess card or flyer, one that can be updated with ease. thats something i am thinking of doing. creating a app.

• 7. Re: info
                      Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Frankly - I don't see a market or a purpose for that sort of thing.

Can it be done - yes.

But you'd need to create them in InDesign.

• 8. Re: info
                        rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

i am only guessing that taking the bussines card into indesign, is to get it ready for print right?

There would be no advantage bringing it into ID. In ID you would have to export to PDF for Vista. You can do the same thing directly from Illustrator via Save As>Adobe PDF. You just want to make sure your AI artboard is setup to the Vista trim and bleed specs

• 9. Re: info
                          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Frankly - I don't see a market or a purpose for that sort of thing.

Moo Cards is working on a business card with a NFC chip, which can communicate with a smart phone:

http://us.moo.com/nfc/