3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2014 11:50 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 12 photo slideshow

LucaZoPhoto

Hi! Im working on creating a slideshow that needs to be playable on both a DVD & online. I went ahead and created a test slideshow and while in elements it looks fine when uploaded to vimeo the resolution is really low and can not even be expanded into full screen without looking out of focus. I am sure I am using the wrong preset or something? This slideshow will be shown projected on a huge screen so the resolution need to be optimal.

Secondly, what is an easy way to add a white background to vertical images? Instead of the standard black.

Thank you so much in advance. I have looked online plenty but can not find a good tutorial on making this work.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 12 photo slideshow
          A.T. Romano Level 7

LucaZoPhoto

You wrote

what is an easy way to add a white background to vertical images? Instead of the standard black.

I would think it would be placing a Color Matte (See Project Assets/Panel Options/New Item/Color Matte) on Video Track 2 directly above your portrait oriented image on Video Track 1.

You say that you want a slideshow playable on DVD and online. Are you envisioning this with or without menus. It gets more complicated if you think Premiere Elements DVD-VIDEO with menus for online. The only product that Premiere Elements offers with menus is the webDVD which is really a flash file with menu. I would have to do some homework on the logistics of getting that online to your web site.

As for your test slideshow. Go idea a mini test run before the grand projects. But let us get into the details of what you did, especially since your out of focus end exports.

1. How many photos? What format? What pixel dimensions? Are photos the only assets of your slideshow?

2. What project preset did you use for the Premiere Elements 12 project?

3. How did you upload your Timeline to Vimeo? As a file saved to the computer hard drive, and then the file uploaded to Vimeo at the Vimeo web site OR via Publish+Share/Social Websites/Vimeo? In either case, what presets did you use?

4. Are you restricted to DVD-VIDEO on DVD presentation where the frame size is 720 x 480 (NTSC) and 720 x 576 (PAL) whether standard or widescreen?

Let us start here and then decide what next based on your details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 12 photo slideshow
            LucaZoPhoto Level 1

ATR, thank you for taking the time to help me. So very much apprecaited!!

I am not sure what Menus are. So I doubt I need them.

Here are the answers to the questions:

1. How many photos? What format? What pixel dimensions? Are photos the only assets of your slideshow?

There will be about 100 photos. They are 240 dpi & 5735 × 3828. There will be two songs in addition.

2. What project preset did you use for the Premiere Elements 12 project?

NTSC-AVCHD-Full HD 1080i 30

3. How did you upload your Timeline to Vimeo? As a file saved to the computer hard drive, and then the file uploaded to Vimeo at the Vimeo web site OR via Publish+Share/Social Websites/Vimeo? In either case, what presets did you use?

I used publish+ share. Using preset: Vimeo HD

4. Are you restricted to DVD-VIDEO on DVD presentation where the frame size is 720 x 480 (NTSC) and 720 x 576 (PAL) whether standard or widescreen?

I am not sure. Im sure I could use a flash drive too.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 12 photo slideshow
              A.T. Romano Level 7

LucaZoPhoto

I am not sure whether you are in a NTSC or PAL setup or if your Premiere Elements 12 is running on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit computer. For now, I will assume Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7, 8, 8.1 64 bit in a NTSC setup. (NTSC vs PAL HD does not have the same significance as it does for NTSC vs PAL SD, but regional frame rates need to be factored in.)

All that being said this is what I would like you to consider for setting the baseline for your slideshow...

1. 100 photos with pixel dimensions of 5735 x 3828 pixels. That is 3:2, typical aspect ratio of photos. For video, think 4:3 or 16:9. Here we are going to think 16:9. For your source, we are going to need batch cropping/resizing since we are going from 3:2 to 16:9 and not 16:9 to 16:9 in the resizing. Please check out the free IrfanView for this purpose or an alternative method of your choice if you have one.

http://www.irfanview.com/

I would suggest a batch cropping resizing to 16:9 2200 x 1238.

2. Open Premiere Elements 12 to the Expert workspace and set the project preset manually as follows.

a. In the opened project, go to File Menu/New/Project and set the project preset for

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

Before exiting that area, make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Settings on This Project".

3. Then back in the Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace, import your photos via Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag your photos to the Timeline.

4. Render the Timeline by pressing the Enter key of the computer main keyboard or by pressing the Render button above the Timeline. What does the play back of the rendered Timeline look like in the Edit Mode monitor?

If OK, you can apply menus via Tools/Movie Menu and/or move on to export....

5. Export choices to consider...

Publish + Share

Disc

DVD disc

with preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD

(Frame Size 720 x 480 with the 16:9 for display after encoding)

Publish + Share

Computer

AVCHD

with preset = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30

(depending on Vimeo's limitations at the Vimeo web site, that file could be uploaded to Video at the Vimeo web site from its computer hard drive save location.

Publish + Share

Social Websites

Vimeo

with preset = Vimeo HD

(but here the you will be uploading to 1280 x 720 @ 29.97 frames per second...no export settings customization)

Once we establish settings for presentation of good video and audio quality in a mini test run before the grand project, then we can detail convenience features, like applying the same transition more than one at a time, etc.

Depending on your computer resources, some of the photo sizing details could be stretched but since the max resolution in all this is 1920 x 1080, anything more than that typically does not improve quality and often jeopardizes the program.

Please review, consider, try, and, if clarification needed please let us know.

Thank you.

ATR