14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2014 4:34 PM by A.T. Romano

Video remains Still in Media Viewer PE10 and Nvidia GTX 770M

Djdimauro

Recently purchased a new Notebook that includes an Nvidia GeForce GTX 770M. The Media View does display the first frame of my project. Though I DO hear sound, and the timeline progresses, the video in the veiwer remains "still".

Is there a resolution to this? I've checked for updates to the GTX 770M and Nvidia indicates I an current.

• 1. Re: Video remains Still in Media Viewer PE10 and Nvidia GTX 770M
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

Which version of Premiere Elements are you using? What are the Project Settings, as listed under the Edit menu?

What processor does your computer use and how much RAM do you have?

• 2. Re: Video remains Still in Media Viewer PE10 and Nvidia GTX 770M
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, along with Steve's questions, with both PrE 10 and an nVidia display adapter, see this thread for some more details on an incompatibility between PrE 10 and the later nVidia drivers: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5956523#5956523

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Video remains Still in Media Viewer PE10 and Nvidia GTX 770M
              Djdimauro Level 1

Camcorder Model:

Panasonic HCX920P

Video Format:

Content originally ingested from Camcorder to a RAW video folder that I maintain on my NAS. When I create a Pre10 Project, I Get Media from=>Files and Folders, and Browse to my desired RAW ingest folder. Then multi-select all of the individual *.MTS files/clips and Open.

The individual clip files for imported this way for the project I'm trying to edit have the following attributes:

Video:

Frame width:          1920

Frame height:         1080

Data rate:               13155kpbs

Total bitrate:           13539kbps

Frame rate:              29 frames/second

Audio:

Bit rate:                    384kpbs

Channels:                 6

Audio Sample rate:   48kpbs

Adobe Premiere Elements 10 Version: 10.0 (20110902.Mo|11.B123.280463)

Since there do not appear to be any software updates available, I'm assuming this is the latest version.

Project Settings:

General -

Editing Mode:            HD1080i

Timebase:                 29.97 frames/second

Playback Settings:

Realtime Playback:               Desktop Video Display During Playback [checked ON]

External Device:                    None

Aspect Ratio Conversion:     Hardware (If Supported)

Desktop Audio [selected/Radio Button ON]

24p Conversion Method

Interlaced Frame (2:3:3:2)     [selected/Radio Button ON]

Export:

External Drive:          None

Display video output when in background, [checked ON]

Video

Frame Size:               1920 horizontal     1080 vertical

Pixel Aspect Ratio:     Square Pixels (1.0)

Fields:                        No Fields (Progressive Scan)

Display Format:          30fps Drop-Frame Timecode

Title Safe Area:          20 %horizontal     20 %vertical

Action Safe Area:       10 %horizontal     10 %vertical

Audio

Sample Rate:               48000Hz

Display Format:            Audio Samples

Capture -

Capture Format:     HDV

Video Render:

Previews

File Format:     I-Frame Only MPEG

Compression:  MPEG I-Frame

Optimize Stills     [checked ON]

My System:

ASUS G759JX Notebook PC

Processor:     Intel Core i7-4700HQ Quad Core - 2.4GHZ-3.40GHZ; 6M Cache

RAM:               16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz 1.35V

Primary HD:          250GB Solid State Drive [OS; Apps; AppData]

Secondary HD:     1TB 5400rpm Hard Disk Drive [DATA - Contains most typical Windows "Library" folders/files (Documents; Downloads; Music; Photos; Video. Though my media (Music, Photos, Video) is stored on a Western Digital My Book World Edition II 2TB (1TB mirrored) NAS.]

Graphics/Video Card:     nVidia GeForce GTX 770M 3GB GDDR5

I invested in this thing specifically for Video Editing with Pre 10. I'm confident that somehow there will be a resolution and I appreciate you and Bill responding. I'm going to follow the link that Bill provided to see if I can determine if there is some incompatibility between the nVidia drivers I have and Pre 10 and, hopefully, find a resolution.

• 5. Re: Video remains Still in Media Viewer PE10 and Nvidia GTX 770M

Can you confirm that you are NOT shooting in 3D mode?

Also, what happens if you use Premiere Elements' Add Media/From Flip or Camera to get the video from the camera to your computer's hard drive rather than your using your current method of " ingesting from Camcorder to a RAW video folder that I maintain on my NAS"?

Does video captured this way perform better than video imported your way?

• 6. Re: Video remains Still in Media Viewer PE10 and Nvidia GTX 770M
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Djdimauro

There is a current epidemic of display issues specific to the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA video card user. Hunt has mentioned in your thread earlier. My semi-history on the cases can be viewed in the link that he cited in post 3 of your thread

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1317675

The answer to this type of problem is not in assuring that you have the latest version of the video card driver version, but rather that you roll back the driver version to whichever is the first in the roll back to work for you.

It is a problem that neither NVIDIA nor Adobe seems to be addressing. And, I see no Premiere Elements 10 patch for this on the horizon.

Please let us know if you try the roll back and if that worked for you after you have pursued your questions and answers with SG.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Video remains Still in Media Viewer PE10 and Nvidia GTX 770M
                    Djdimauro Level 1

I wasn't certain that I could confirm that I was NOT shooting in 3D. You need a special lens (actually a pair of lenses) to accomplish that. I haven't purchased that accessory - not sure I ever will.

However, I did take the time to review the settings on the camcorder. Interestingly enough, there were two settings that I am curious about:

1. The "AUTO SLOW SHTR (2D)" is set to "OFF"

2. The "AUTO SLOW SHTR (3D)" is set to "ON".

I have no clue what that means. I would suspect, if anything, I want the opposite.

I use the ingest approach I described so that I can transfer the RAW footage from the camcorder to my NAS, allowing me to erase it from my camcorder so that I can be prepared for the next "family event".

• 8. Re: Video remains Still in Media Viewer PE10 and Nvidia GTX 770M
                      Djdimauro Level 1

A.T.

I've visited the thread you provided and I did try to install several earlier versions of the nVidea GX770M driver with no success. I will be updating that thread with results from my testing,

I wasn't sure from what I had read whether of not this issue is resolved in Pre12. Even it it is, I would hesitate to upgrade to Pre12, since I'm seeing entries in the Forum regarding issues with it.

• 9. Re: Video remains Still in Media Viewer PE10 and Nvidia GTX 770M
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Djdimauro

Thanks for your updates and data. I just posted in the Roll Back thread about them.

This roll back driver situation seems restricted to the Premiere Elements 10 users with the NVIDIA video card.

More on this in the morning.

Many thanks for your very helpful information.

ATR

• 10. Re: Video remains Still in Media Viewer PE10 and Nvidia GTX 770M

Also, what happens if you use Premiere Elements' Add Media/From Flip or Camera to get the video from the camera to your computer's hard drive rather than your using your current method of " ingesting from Camcorder to a RAW video folder that I maintain on my NAS"?

Does video captured this way perform better than video imported your way?

• 11. Re: Video remains Still in Media Viewer PE10 and Nvidia GTX 770M
                            Djdimauro Level 1

Steve,

Please see last line of Thread Item #7.

To elaborate.. I do not use this method for a specific performance improvement during the ingest process. In fact, the elapsed time for me to create a project is longer this way than it would be to create the project by ingesting content directly from the camcorder. At some point I will connect my camcorder to my PC via USB and us Windows Explorer "Copy" to copy the ENTIRE contents of the camcorder HDD and/or SDHD Memory Card to a Folder that I create on my NAS for that particular Project's RAW content. Typically, a Project is some family "event" that I've recorded (i.e. a Vacation). It's a straight copy from the root of the camcorder HDD and/or SDHD Memory Card to this folder. In essence, the folder is a clone of the camcorder. I then reformat both the camcorder's HDD and the SDHD Memory Card so that there is space available to record the next family "event". There may be several of these family "events" that are captured this way before I even create a Project in Pre10 for the first one. Eventually, I get to creating the Project in Pre10 which is when I Get Media from=>Files and Folders, and Browse to my desired RAW ingest folder.Then multi-select all of the individual *.MTS files/clips and Open.

Again, this isn't meant to be a more efficient method, just one that accommodates the delays between me capturing footage and creating a viewable movie. (Believe me - I get a lot of flack from the family about this delay.)

One other thing of note... Somewhere in the early days of my getting into this "hobby" - and I don't thing it was with Pre10 - I noticed that if I ingested the content directly from the camcorder into a new Project, when I went into that Project later - the thumbnails for the ingested clips did not display. ???

• 12. Re: Video remains Still in Media Viewer PE10 and Nvidia GTX 770M

So you don't even want to try to troubleshoot this thing?

• 13. Re: Video remains Still in Media Viewer PE10 and Nvidia GTX 770M
                                Djdimauro Level 1

Steve,

I'm VERY committed to troubleshooting this. I just wanted to clarify my earlier response. I've also posted to the thread A.T. Romano mentioned in Item #7 above (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1317675). That thread focuses on the nVidia driver issues.

One of the options I'm considering is to simply upgrade to Pre12. I have seen some references indicating that Pre12 resolves the nVidia driver issue that appears to a near epidemic in Pre10. I am looking for confirmation of that, but I'm also hesitant to upgrade since Pre12 is immature and I'm already seeing posts for issues with that.

• 14. Re: Video remains Still in Media Viewer PE10 and Nvidia GTX 770M
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Djdimauro

I been trying to catch up on your thread just now and re-read it from first to lastest post in it.

The Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA video card history is indeed tempting to pursue, but I have a question on something that I just may have taken for granted when I was attracted to the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA video card syndrome.

Granted you want to edit your specific video format in Premiere Elements 10 and your results are unsatisfactory as described. But, what happens to the problem if, for troubleshooting purposes, you put a bunch of stills on the Timeline. Same problems? Or even video of a different format from a source other than the camera involved in the present situation? Same problems?

Definitely do not "upgrade" to 12 without first going through the 30 day tryout from Adobe.

More later.

ATR