5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2014 3:51 PM by KoaMali

How To Reduce Space Between Text and Image

KoaMali

I am trying to wrap text around an irregular shape in InDesign CS4. I used the pen tool to mark the outline of the image, cut the image, then selected the pen outline and pasted the image into the outline. With the TextWrap settings set to what is in this dialog box, text wrapping appears fine on the right-hand side, but has too much space on the left-hand side.

textwrap0.png

If I try to reduce the space even further, it just affects the right-hand side of the image, not the left:

textwrap1.png

It is doing the same thing for all of my irregularly-shaped images where I try to wrap text. How can I reduce the whitespace to the left of the image?

• 1. Re: How To Reduce Space Between Text and Image
          Cari Jansen Adobe Community Professional

You can use the Direct Selection and Pen tool to edit the Text Wrap path by repositioning anchor points and direction lines and adding more anchorpoints etc. That way you can move the wrap path inwards a bit more to allow for the text to fit better.  To lock breaks in a bit more on a line by line basis, consider Composer settings to Adobe Single-line composer (Control panel menu)

You can also try enabling Hyphenation. With Left aligned text the wrapping on the left will always look a little gappy I reckon. However enabling hyphenation will get InDesign to hyphenate at breakpoint to the left of the object with text wrap as well as at the end of the line.

Also if you change the alignment to Justified, you'll also get a better result.

On a side related note, I'd generally advice my trainees not to wrap text on left and right sides, when the object with the wrap is placed in the middle of a sentence. It makes reading the sentences more difficult.

Hope this helps,

Cari

--

twitter.com/carijansen

• 2. Re: How To Reduce Space Between Text and Image
            Cari Jansen Adobe Community Professional

Actually just noticed your text is already justified apologies.

Couple more things you can try to improve this:

• From Control panel menu choose Justification and try using the following settings:

MinimumDesiredMaximum
            Word Spacing80% 100%120%
            Letter Spacing-2%0%2%
            Glyph Scaling98%100%102%

Also check that Single Word Justification is set to Full Justify.

Cari

• 3. Re: How To Reduce Space Between Text and Image
              Danny Whitehead. Level 4

On a side related note, I'd generally advice my trainees not to wrap text on left and right sides, when the object with the wrap is placed in the middle of a sentence. It makes reading the sentences more difficult.

I'd agree with this. Unless the image lies over the gutter of two columns, wrapping left and right is bad design. Even if your wrapping was working as you intended it to, the reader would read those last three lines as "can make you feel and younger than in years".

• 4. Re: How To Reduce Space Between Text and Image
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I also would avoide wrap on tboth sides in this situation, but it looks to me like the big problem here is that you are not allowing hyphenation, so you wind up with very large spaces where an entire word cannot fit.

• 5. Re: How To Reduce Space Between Text and Image
                  KoaMali Level 1

Thanks for telling me about the Direct Selection tool. I was able to find a "ghost" outline with the tool, and move the points so the text could wrap better.

BTW, hyphenation was turned on, and I have returned the text wrapping to just the left-hand side again.

Ghost outline in its original location:

textwrapghost0.png

Ghost outline moved for proper text wrapping:

textwrapghost1.png

Thanks again!