29 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2016 6:28 AM by Steve Grisetti

PE12: asking "Where is file..." for a non-existent file

mlitty Level 1

When opening a project in Adobe Premiere Elements 12, I'm getting the "Where is file..." pop up window.  It's asking ...

"Where is the File 'C:\Program Files\Adobe\Premiere Pro 1.5\Presets\Textures\Business Title_7.tga'?"

Which is odd because I didn't use any such file in the project, I only have Adobe Premiere Elements 12, and this is installed on a MacBookPro.  So I'm not sure why it's looking for a tga file in a Premiere Pro folder in a non-existent C:drive.

I only have two video clips in this project.  I'm using the cross-fade transition between titles and clips.  The title template I'm using is "RedBulbs_Title".  I've duplicated it several times and I seem to get that same "Where is.." pop up, one for each time I've used the "RedBulbs_Title" template.

Am I missing something in my installation?

• 1. Re: PE12: asking "Where is file..." for a non-existent file
          A.T. Romano Level 7

mlitty

Are you getting this message just by opening a new project? Or, are you opening a project that you had started and then saved closed?

Are you using Premiere Elements 12 Mac purchased from Adobe or an authorized reseller or Adobe Premiere Elements Editor from the Mac App Store? For now I will assume Premiere Elements 12 Mac from Adobe.

Title template are typically composed of two files, one a .prtl for its text and another for the graphic in the title template (typically png...tga has not been supported by Premiere Elements since about version 8 Windows...not sure if Premiere Elements Mac would support tga. Unlikely, but. Based on that message, I would think that the project cannot find the graphic file that goes with that Title Template, but the message cannot be explained.

So I can explain searching for a missing component in a Title template, but none of the rest falls into place. As you have observed you are getting a Windows type message and path for another program.

I am strictly an Elements Windows person...so however you do it on a Mac, do an uninstall of Premiere Elements 12 Mac. If you have a computer cleaner, apply that to the computer to get rid of leftovers from other programs and incomplete installation or uninstalls.

Please update us on your progress.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: PE12: asking "Where is file..." for a non-existent file
            A.T. Romano Level 7

mlitty

FYI

For Premiere Elements 12 Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, the Title Templates Red Bulb_title is found

Local Disc C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

Title Templates

All_Lang

General

Red Bulbs

and in the Red Bulbs Folder are the two components for the Red Bulb_title

• RedBulbs_title.png (for the graphic part)

and

• RedBulbs_title.prtl (for the text part)

ATR

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: PE12: asking "Where is file..." for a non-existent file
              mlitty Level 1

A.T.

I have a new project that I've created in Pe12.  I get the message every time I open the file to continue editing.  So, I created it, edited for a while, and save.  When I open the file again, days later, I get the error.

It does seem to be related to the titles in Pe12.  The error seems to occur once for every time the title template is used.  I dismiss the error saying the file is Offline so that I can get to the project and continue working.  Even though the file is considered "offline", the video doesn't seem to be mising any components.

I'm useing Pe12 for Mac, purchased new from Amazon.com.  It was a clean install.  There was no previous installation of Premiere Pro or Elements.

I have not imported any jpegs.  My source files are .mp4 and the title graphics within Pe12.  It's a very simple project.

The strangest part for me is seing a Windows error message on a Mac.  I've never even opened the Windows install disk for Pe12, much less used it in the Mac.

Using Finder to search for the missing file returns no results as if the file doesn't exist anywhere on the Mac.

Am I correct in that the Title clips in Pe12 are not on the installation but on the internet?  I seem to recall that the Title files had to download the first time I used a particular title in Pe.  Could it be a problem with the downloaded files?

I'm re-installing Pe now.  I'll let you know how that goes.

Re-installed over previous install hoping to avoid losing anything.  Big mistake.  Everything just crashes now.  Uninstalling everything, preferences and all, and will do a clean install.

more to come.

• 4. Re: PE12: asking "Where is file..." for a non-existent file
                A.T. Romano Level 7

mlitty

Thanks for the update.

If you have not completed your uninstall/reinstall just yet, you might consider uninstall/ccleaner run through/then the reinstall. The ccleaner run through would be expected to get rid of any leftovers for incomplete uninstall and/or reinstalls.

https://www.piriform.com/mac/ccleaner

I have used the Windows counterpart of ccleaner with pros, no cons.

ATR

• 5. Re: PE12: asking "Where is file..." for a non-existent file
                  mlitty Level 1

ccCleaner is great.  I didn't know there was an OSX version.  I'll get it.  (Revo Uninstaller is also fantastic for cleaning out Win installs)

I did complete the uninstall/reinstall before getting your post about the OSX version of CCCleaner, and I'm still getting he same windows error when trying to open the project.

Screenshot 2014-01-12 14.10.27.png

I even created a dummy project using the tilte used in the project to try and force a redownload of the online assets.

I'm not sure if this matters, but I'm running OSX 10.9.1 Mavericks.

It's crashing now.  I'll try the uninstall>CCCleaner>Reinstall.

This is massively frustrating.

Premiere Pro is still looking for missing files in a non-existent C: drive.  Even on a brand new project that uses titles.  It's as if it either doesn't know where it put the files it downloaded for the online title assets or it's looking for windows assests that it doesn't need.

The files it's looking for don't seem to appear anywhere in my hard drive when I do a command-F search in finder.

This is really rediculous.

• 6. Re: PE12: asking "Where is file..." for a non-existent file
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

mlitty

Thanks for the update. Sorry the news is not better.

It might be time to pass this by Adobe via its Adobe Chat to find out if it has any undocumented reports of others getting this strange syndrome. That action does not prohibit us from trying to work through troubleshooting here.

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?product=premiere-elements&topic=downloading-installing -and-setting-up

After you click on the above link, click on "I still need help." to bring up the Adobe Chat. I have pre-selected the topic as Downloading, Installing and Setting Up.

I do not know what the anti-virus malware situation is in a Mac, but you might check that out if applicable.

ATR

• 7. Re: PE12: asking "Where is file..." for a non-existent file
                      mlitty Level 1

Thank you for the link.  I couldn't find a live chat window anywhere on the site.  Everything I found just sent me back to the forums for help.

Unfortunately, the chat people only deal with Installation issues on the weekends.  I tried to explain that an OSX installation looking for a Windows file was an installation issue, but he disagreed, saying it's a use issue.  He said that I might be able to reach a person who could help Mondy Through Friday.

Odd and disappointing that Adobe doesn't keep anyone who can help with use on the weekends.  It seems that they have pretty weak support for their Elements line.

Thank you for all of your help.

• 8. Re: PE12: asking "Where is file..." for a non-existent file
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

mlitty

Do not give up. Try for contact with Adobe tomorrow Monday and let us see if it has some undocumented troubleshooting to resolve your unexpected and unusal issue. If not, we will look deeper into the issue.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: PE12: asking "Where is file..." for a non-existent file
                          mlitty Level 1

Stranger yet.

I dug around the installation logs and found that there were some read/write permissions issues on installation.  These were related to the directories where the online materials are stored/downloaded when used, something  I couldn't find before.  I followed that trail to

Library > Adobe > Premere Elements > 12.0 > Online ...

In there I found the assets for the RedBulbs title that I used and reconnected that asset.  A little progress.  I stll can't find a "Presets" directory for Premiere and there are no TGA files in the Online folder, so that "Business Title_7.tga" is still a mystery.

• 10. Re: PE12: asking "Where is file..." for a non-existent file
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

mlitty

Great work with those installation logs and permissions. I wish that I could help you with the searches but my no Mac status and no access to Mac get in the way of doing that.

However, Googling brought up the following link about hidden folders on the Mac

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/elements_9_photo_effects_folder_miss ing_with_imac_lion_upgrade

have you been there and found that?

ATR

• 11. Re: PE12: asking "Where is file..." for a non-existent file
                              mlitty Level 1

Thank you. I had made my Library files visible some time back.  That's how I was able to trace down the Online files.  The thread you lead me to does raise another question though.

One of the files Pe12 keeps looking for is supposed to be in a Presets folder.  I don't seem to have any Presets folder associated with Elements.  Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Bridge all have a Presets folder in their main program folder.  Pe12 does not.  I'm wondering if it somehow failed in the installation?  There wasn't any mention of it in the install log though, positive or negative.

• 12. Re: PE12: asking "Where is file..." for a non-existent file
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

mlitty

I am not sure if this link is going to help, but at least it tells us where the "custom" presets might be found with Premiere Elements Mac???

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/troubleshoot-damaged-projects-premiere-element s.html

ATR

• 13. Re: PE12: asking "Where is file..." for a non-existent file
                                  mlitty Level 1

I've at least found out where the reference to the missing files is located.  I opened the project file in TextEditor and found Dependecy references to

<Dependency ObjectID="1933" ClassID="38999b93-d0a4-4bac-9f6d-7ca53546b263" Version="1">

<Path>C:\Program Files\Adobe\Premiere Pro 1.5\Presets\Textures\Business Title_7.tga</Path>

<Tag>C:\Program Files\Adobe\Premiere Pro 1.5\Presets\Textures\Business Title_7.tga</Tag>

</Dependency>

I don't know why it's looking for Premiere Pro anything, I've only ever owned Premiere Elements 12.

There are no "Textures" folders in my hard drive associated with Premiere Elements.

I still don't know why  a MacBook installation of Pe12 is creating references to files on a PC file system!?

• 14. Re: PE12: asking "Where is file..." for a non-existent file
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

mlitty

Thanks for the update. Strange happenings. You are doing a lot of good detective work on this.

A just in case question...did you receive your Mac computer brand new? Is there any chance it was pre-used and the seller did a bad job of cleaning up the computer for sale? My last recollection of .tga files and Texture Folders were in the days of Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 Windows.

The Premiere Elements unanswered whys (on Windows or Mac) are major sources of Mylanta or Tums moments.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: PE12: asking "Where is file..." for a non-existent file
                                      mshakes Level 1

this is happening to me it is highly frustrating. the thing is, this is the first time this is happening to me. before this i was saving and opening my projects just fine?

• 16. Re: PE12: asking "Where is file..." for a non-existent file
                                        mshakes Level 1

also it is only happening to one out of 4 files

• 17. Re: PE12: asking "Where is file..." for a non-existent file
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

mshakes

Please give the details of your specific situation.

The originator of this thread was getting a unique type "Where is the file....?" message related to a particular .tga file which is not known to exist in Premiere Elements 12.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

Are you trying to open a project and are stopped from doing so with a "Where is the file....." message? What is the exact name of the

file that the message is looking for? Is the file one that you had imported into the project before you saved closed the project?

The "Where....?" message looking for a .tga file is a special case. Typically, when the user gets one of these messages, it could mean....

a. the file have been moved, deleted, or renamed after the project was saved closed

or

b. the file was saved to an external hard drive that has changed drive letter.

Please explain, and we will try to help you sort through the troubleshooting of your specific issue.

Thank you.

ATR

• 18. Re: PE12: asking "Where is file..." for a non-existent file
                                            mlitty Level 1

My original problem was never resolved.  I ended up installing on a PC laptop.  That installation had a whole host of other issues that took an Adobe rep four hours to resolve.  That session included almost two hours of his hacking through registry and systems files via remote desktop.  Eventually it did work on my windows laptop, but never on my MacbookPro.

The issue with my Macbook install was that the Pe12 Title resources being downloaded from Adobe when used all had PC paths in the files.  We never did resolve why the OSX install of Pe12 was receiving files with Windows paths from Adobe.

Take a look at the projects that are and are not giving you problems. 

1. What OS are you running?

2. What error are you getting and when?

3. What Titles and Transitions are in the problematic projects?  And what Titles and Transitions are in the projects that load without error?  (this will help to assess whether your issue is similar or distinct from what I experienced.)

• 19. Re: PE12: asking "Where is file..." for a non-existent file
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

mlitty

Thanks for the reply to mshakes and the update on your original problem with Premiere Elements 12 Mac.

Great insights for others who find themselves with this "Where is the File.....tga?" message.

As a matter of curiosity, did the message

"Where is the File 'C:\Program Files\Adobe\Premiere Pro 1.5\Presets\Textures\Business Title_7.tga'?"

ever show up in all the troubles that you had trying to install Premiere Elements 12 on Windows instead of Mac?

ATR

• 20. Re: PE12: asking "Where is file..." for a non-existent file
                                                mlitty Level 1

A.T. Romano, Oddly, no.  We had a host of other issues installing on Windows, but not that one.

As an additional note, we recently reinstalled the OS on the Windows laptop and had to reinstall PE12.  I've misplaced my disks but had the wisdom to email myself the registration key when I bought the disks from Amazon.  We ended up installing the downloadable "trial" version and activating with the registration key from the disks I purchased.  THAT install went smoothly and seems to run well.  We've only worked on one project with the fresh install so far, but I'd highly recommend grabbing the latest "trial" version from Adobe and activating with your registration key from your disks if anyone is having issues.

Between the fouled up OSX install and the hours spent on the phone and with remote support getting the disks originally installed on my Windows machine, I'm convinced that there was something wrong with the disks that I purchased.  Thankfully Adobe provides downloadables.  Thank you also, A.T. for all of the effort you put into helping with the original problem.

It makes me wonder if downloading the OSX trial and activating there would have solved that issue as well.

• 21. Re: PE12: asking "Where is file..." for a non-existent file
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

mlitty

Thanks for the reply with the valuable Premiere Elements insights.

Just in case notes...

a. If you purchased a version of Premiere Elements from Adobe direct as an online download, then you should be able to go to "My Orders" at Adobe to download your installation files again.

b. Independent of the place of purchase and if you have not downloaded the files before, you can download and install the tryout out of the current version only from the Adobe web site.

b. If you did not purchase from Adobe direct, you can obtain installation files from the following web site (currently applies to Premiere Elements 12, 11, 10, and 9 and insert your purchased serial number in them at installation.

Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 Direct Download Links, Premiere too | ProDesignTools

Best wishes moving forward with your projects.

ATR

• 22. Re: PE12: asking "Where is file..." for a non-existent file
                                                    mlitty Level 1

I prefer to download from Adobe directly.  I used at Adobe - Download free trial version Adobe Premiere Elements 12 | Adobe and activated with the code from the box set purchased from Amazon.com.

• 23. Re: PE12: asking "Where is file..." for a non-existent file
                                                      kennethb14082048 Level 1

I also have this problem with Abobe Premiere Elements 13.1 on a Windows 8.1 PC

I downloaded a trial version from Abode and created a project to try it out which also uses RedBulbs_title. Every time I load the project it opens a dialog box (which is looking in the last location I loaded media from) with the title Where is the File "Business Title_7.tga". If I just close the dialog box the project loads Ok and everything seem to work. I have updated the trial version to the full purchased version by entering a serial no but the problem is still there.

Now that I have the full purchased version, I tried creating a new project which only has the RedBulbs_title in it. Again the dialog box with the title Where is the File "Business Title_7.tga" always appears. Looks like the problem is something to do with the RedBulbs_title.

Did you ever find a solution?

Thanks

• 24. Re: PE12: asking "Where is file..." for a non-existent file
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

kennethb

The problem with the RedBulbs_title under Titles & Text Tab still exists in the purchased as well as the tryout of the Premiere Elements 13/13.1.

I have not thought about this issue in a long while. I will today. I have some ideas.

I will try to report back in this thread with the results of my current ideas on this (planned for before the end of this day).

To be continued.

ATR

• 25. Re: PE12: asking "Where is file..." for a non-existent file
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

kennethb

Even though I do not know the why for this Where is the File Business Title_7.tga message associated with RedBulbs_title Title Template, I believe that I have found a way to get rid of it. I also found the message "Where is the File Tropical_7.tga?" to be associated with beachresort_title Title Template.  I can get rid of that also using the same kind of fix.

Unlike the originator of this thread mlitty, I do not find the problem in Premiere Elements 12/12.1; whereas it is pronounced in Premiere Elements 13/13.1. But, if you had to, one could apply the principles that I used in 13/13.1 to 12/12.1 to get rid of the messages. But, just clicking Skip to the messages seems to open the project with these title templates intact and the message gone.

I have written the details in my blog and am proofreading them now. I will post a link to those details within the next hour or tomorrow morning.

I would appreciate it if you would consider the details and then let me know if they worked for you.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...Still work in progress, but here is the link to the blog with the details of what I have done so far with this matter of "Where is the File Business Title_7.tga?"

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 13/13.1: "Where is the File "Business Title_7.tga?" Solved?

• 26. Re: PE12: asking "Where is file..." for a non-existent file
                                                            kennethb14082048 Level 1

ATR

Thanks very much for your help.

Clicking Skip every time I open the project with the title templates works as does closing the dialog box with the title Where is the File "Business Title_7.tga".

Creating the file Business Title_7.tga from the file named RedBulbs_title_prv.png as described in your blog link above works a treat and solves the problem permanently. No more annoying dialog box.

Thanks again for the time you spent solving this.

Kenneth Brown

• 27. Re: PE12: asking "Where is file..." for a non-existent file
                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Kenneth Brown

Many thanks for your follow up report on some of the those Premiere Elements title templates searching for .tga files with that "Where is the File......tga?" messages.

Today I will try to make a sampling list of how many of the _title variety are involved.

Best wishes

ATR

• 28. Re: PE12: asking "Where is file..." for a non-existent file
                                                                ozegran

I have the same issue. I have Premiere Elements 14 and opening a file that I had created - from scratch using the titles built into Version 14. I have opened this same file before today without the program asking to locate any files and all of a sudden I am getting the question?

I previously had Version 9 and did not ever have this problem.

I am running Windows 10 on an intel core i7, msi GT72 Dominator gaming laptop.

The file it is asking to locate is "Business Title_7.tga"

Thanks

Jenny

• 29. Re: PE12: asking "Where is file..." for a non-existent file
                                                                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's likely related to the Movie Menu template you've chosen.

But since you've tagged your question onto a very old thread, I'd recommend you start your own, new thread if you need help working through this issue further.