26 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2014 11:56 AM by Nancy O. RSS

Need to re-create DW site

goatfarmer98

I just learned the value of *.ste files.  Would downloading my folders and contents from my host be the most reliable method to construct a replacement of my DW CS5 site?

• 1. Re: Need to re-create DW site
          Rob Hecker2 MVP

The ste file just defines the location of the site folders and the servers. There is no copy of the ste file on the remote server.

If you lost all your website files, then you can download them from the remote site, but it won't restore any templates you may have used.

• 2. Re: Need to re-create DW site
            goatfarmer98 Community Member

I did not create a *ste file for my site before reformatting my desktop's hard drive and now DW does not recognize folders; files yes but not folders. All of my files and folders are on my desktop but DW will not recognize folders.  From reading the only route for me is to re-create another DW site.  I wonder if I create a new site and then download the folders and their contents to the newly created site -would that work?  Of course the next thing I'll do is create the *.ste file.

• 3. Re: Need to re-create DW site
              Rob Hecker2 MVP

Create a new site definition but point it to the location of your local copy of the website. Define your local and remote servers. That should do it. Downloading the files from the remote site isn't necessary.

• 4. Re: Need to re-create DW site

I created a new site definition pointed to the local folder.  No files were brought over to the new site; it remains empty less the test file I created within it.

My original site - existing images in my image folder are recognized however the new one added this morning via Windows Explorer is not listed when  attempting to insert it into a htm file. I open the folders side by side and it is visible in Win Explorer yet not DW. 

• 5. Re: Need to re-create DW site
                  Nancy O. MVP

Is the Local Site folder on your main hard drive (same as DW) or on an external drive? 

Nancy O.

• 6. Re: Need to re-create DW site

on same drive as DW - desktop harddrive

• 7. Re: Need to re-create DW site
                      Nancy O. MVP

Which operating system?

Nancy O.

• 8. Re: Need to re-create DW site

Win7 Home Premium.  DW CS5.5 ver. 11.5

• 9. Re: Need to re-create DW site
                          Nancy O. MVP

Win7's UAC could be preventing you from using DW with full admin-level privileges.  Close DW.  Re-launch as Admin.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11841-run-administrator.html

Nancy O.

• 10. Re: Need to re-create DW site

Nancy,

I closed DW.

Through Firefox I saved two test image files to a folder within my DW site;  one assigning the extension (jpg) while the other simply "save as". 

They are viable inside WExplorer. 

I tried options 2, 5, and 6 and provided YES with the UAC prompts and opened DW.

The images are visible in WExplorer and not so in that same folder within DW. 

• 11. Re: Need to re-create DW site
                              Nancy O. MVP

I've never encountered this with any version of DW. 

Did you Refresh your Files Panel?  See screenshot.

DW-CS6-FilesPanelRefresh.jpg

My only thought is that your file naming conventions might be such that DW cannot identify the file.  Best practice, don't use any spaces or special characters (%^$#~) in your folder or file names.  However, you may use hyphens- underscores_ and dots.

Nancy O.

• 12. Re: Need to re-create DW site

yes I do use the refresh button; should have mentioned that previously. I name all of my files in lowercase without any characters other than _ or - and no spacing.  The two test files of today were test1 and test2.jpg.

Interesting the two test files are also visible in Flash and Acrobat X Pro but not Fireworks and DW

• 13. Re: Need to re-create DW site
                                  Nancy O. MVP

<scratching head> Do you have multiple users on your PC or is yours the only user account?</scratching head>

Nancy O.

• 14. Re: Need to re-create DW site

Only me.  Everything was fine until I reformatted my hard drive to its original purchase status.  Since then the problem.

• 15. Re: Need to re-create DW site

There is a default "guest" account

• 16. Re: Need to re-create DW site
                                        Nancy O. MVP

OK.  I think your registry may have been wiped when you reset.

I would do a clean re-install of DW and Fireworks.  Use the CS Cleaner Tools below.

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs5-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Nancy O.

• 17. Re: Need to re-create DW site
                                          Nancy O. MVP

When you re-install, make certain you are logged in with Admin Level status.

Nancy O.

• 18. Re: Need to re-create DW site

Nancy:

Steps I took:

Uninstalled the entire Suite 5.5 design premium

Ran cleaner tool installation

unable to find *.log file: searched and browsed all files with "cloud" and *.log

deleted shortcuts

rebooted

check control panel, user accts and "Frank administrator" was listed

installed creative suite 5.5 design premium

added another file to my images folder via Windows Explorer - the file and the two previous "test" files are listed.

Opened suite  programs, "open file" using "all files" types of files

the three new files listed in Flash, Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, Acrobat

the three new files were NOT listed in DW and Fireworks

Thank you for your continued assistance.

• 19. Re: Need to re-create DW site
                                              Nancy O. MVP

#1 DW cannot open graphics files because it is not a graphics app.  It can only open HTML, PHP, XML, JavaScript, CSS and other code/text files.

#2 when you create images in Fireworks it unfortunately saves them as a Fireworks PNG which is not a web friendly file type.  To use images on the web, you need to export them (SaveAs) an optimized web-safe image.

Nancy O.

• 20. Re: Need to re-create DW site

Nancy:

#1:  I chose the wrong word of "open"  Should have been to link to or insert.  The directory has some 20 images linked from a DW page and are visible in both Windows Explorer and DW.. The three recently added images in the same folder are not visible in DW yet are visible in Windows Explorer.

#2:  The same as #1 above; these three recently added files are not png but jpg and are not listed upon using the Open file menu to that image folder. 

• 21. Re: Need to re-create DW site
                                                  Nancy O. MVP

How about creating a NEW folder on your HD and moving the images into that?

Can DW see them in the new folder?

Nancy O.

• 22. Re: Need to re-create DW site

Created a new folder "new" in Dreamweaver image folder - the folder is not visible in Windows Explorer. 

Also created a new folder in the site root - the folder is not visible in Windows Explorer.

Creatred a new folder "practice" in Window Explorer and it is not visible in Dreamweaver.

Yes, I did refreshed all several times.

• 23. Re: Need to re-create DW site
                                                      Nancy O. MVP

OK.   There's a permissions problem on your operating system.

Open Windows Explorer and scroll down to the site folder.  Right click and select Properties.   I'm guessing it's set to read only. 

Click on Security.  All groups and users should have permissions to see "list folder contents."  See screenshot from Vista.

WindowsPermissions.jpg

Close this properties panel.  Now right-click on images inside your folder and check their properties.  If any folders or files in the site folder are set to hidden, DW cannot see them but Win Explorer can.

Hopefully this will help you find a solution to this very perplexing problem.

Best of luck!

Nancy O.

• 24. Re: Need to re-create DW site

The properties General tab of the root directory Read-Only check box is filled with a bluish color.  I can toggle over the box from its color to no-color to with a check mark. Clciking on the advanced button  "Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" is checked; the other two boxes are unchecked.

In Windows Explorer a sound sampling of the particular image files have a clear properties box, yet those three files with clear check boxes are still not visible in DW but are so in Windows Explorer.

Beneath the Properties Security tab the Group or user names:

System

Frank (frank-PC\frank)

Administrators (frank-PC\administrators)

Permissions for System

All are "Allow" except for "special permissions" which have neither "allow" or "deny"

ADAVANCED:  all three as listed above have type: Allow and permission: Full control.

I have read some of the many on-line posts and help files concerning file attributes - and kinda makes little sense. 

• 25. Re: Need to re-create DW site

Nancy:

Though the problem still exists I want to SINCERELY thank you for your assistance and above all your patience. I will either find a solution or a work around.  You have helped me in the past and it is you I hope will answer my future pleas should I encounter new DW problems.

I wish you a wonderful 2014.

Thank you VERY MUCH.

• 26. Re: Need to re-create DW site
                                                            Nancy O. MVP

I wish I had better answers for you.   I don't know what led to you "restoring" your computer settings in the first place but I suspect there's a deeper problem that restore didn't fix.  When you find the solution, please share it.

Good luck!

Nancy O.