3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2014 5:31 AM by TopePrinting

Resize only one object in selection, and other questions. InDesign CC

TopePrinting

I recently changed from InDesign CS4 to CC. I'm having a few problems with the interface and can't figure them out.

1) This one is really annoying me: I select multiple items, like a picture and some text, to move them somewhere. I then want to maybe change the size of the text box, or crop the picture a little. What used to happen in CS4 was exactly what I wanted to happen: whichever item I clicked on to edit would be edited. In CC, it resizes everything selected! If I want to resize ALL the items, I'll group them. Is there an option to turn that off? I've looked through every menu I could find but didn't see anything that would refer to that.

2) In the same vein: When I select a couple items, like a text box on top of a burst or an ellipse or something, and I then want to edit some of the text. In CS4 I could double click and it would turn into the type tool and I could edit text. It still works the same in CC, but only if I have just the text box selected. If there's anything else selected, it just doesn't work.

3) I complained about this one when I changed from CS2 to CS4, but it's still a problem: When I print, and put in a particular page range, it prints those pages. Now, when I go back to print again, it has defaulted back to printing all pages. I'd really like to be able to hit CTRL-P then Enter, instead of using the mouse to select my page range again. Is there some option that I can change somewhere for that? It works fine in Print Booklet, and Export to PDF. It's only when I print normally this happens.

4) Every time I open the program, all my windows (Pages, Swatches, Stroke, etc...) are always minimized. It's annoying to have to open them every time. I couldn't find anywhere to change that either.

These are kind of minor inconveniences I guess, but it would be nice if I could change them. Other than these few things CC has been pretty good. I definitely like that it's 64 bit. I got out of memory errors a lot with CS4. Anyhow, thanks for taking the time to read my questions!

• 1. Re: Resize only one object in selection, and other questions. InDesign CC
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

TopePrinting wrote:

1) This one is really annoying me: I select multiple items, like a picture and some text, to move them somewhere. I then want to maybe change the size of the text box, or crop the picture a little. What used to happen in CS4 was exactly what I wanted to happen: whichever item I clicked on to edit would be edited. In CC, it resizes everything selected! If I want to resize ALL the items, I'll group them. Is there an option to turn that off? I've looked through every menu I could find but didn't see anything that would refer to that.

I have InDesign CS5.5 - and when I select more than 1 object I get a bounding box for all the items - it's impossible to resize just one item without affecting everything selected.

TopePrinting wrote:

2) In the same vein: When I select a couple items, like a text box on top of a burst or an ellipse or something, and I then want to edit some of the text. In CS4 I could double click and it would turn into the type tool and I could edit text. It still works the same in CC, but only if I have just the text box selected. If there's anything else selected, it just doesn't work.

I really don't see this behaviour at all.

TopePrinting wrote:

3) I complained about this one when I changed from CS2 to CS4, but it's still a problem: When I print, and put in a particular page range, it prints those pages. Now, when I go back to print again, it has defaulted back to printing all pages. I'd really like to be able to hit CTRL-P then Enter, instead of using the mouse to select my page range again. Is there some option that I can change somewhere for that? It works fine in Print Booklet, and Export to PDF. It's only when I print normally this happens.

No - this is the way it works - annoying!

What's really frustrating is that it will remember the amount of copies you've input too! I would like that reset to 1 after I print 100 copies. All too often I've opened a file from last year to print a copy and hit Ctrl+P and then Return as the shortcuts - and I get 100 copies printed again!!!

4) Every time I open the program, all my windows (Pages, Swatches, Stroke, etc...) are always minimized. It's annoying to have to open them every time. I couldn't find anywhere to change that either.

Once you have the screen setup the way you like it go to Window>Workspaces and click "New Workspace"

Save as it something unique to you.

Everytime you open InDesign this should be the default panel settings.

These are kind of minor inconveniences I guess, but it would be nice if I could change them. Other than these few things CC has been pretty good. I definitely like that it's 64 bit. I got out of memory errors a lot with CS4. Anyhow, thanks for taking the time to read my questions!

They are minor for sure - and we all have niggly bits in InDesign that frustrate us.

But unfortunately this is a user-to-user forum so it's unlikely to be picked up by Adobe employees.

I suggest you put it in the feature request forums - http://forums.adobe.com/community/indesign/indesign_feature_requests

There's the Adobe Feature Request page - https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

That's about as much as you can do.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Resize only one object in selection, and other questions. InDesign CC
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Item 1 is changed behavior, and you'll just have to get used to it. Deselect then reselect the object you want to edit individually.

2. I don't have CC up and running on the machine I'm in front of, but I don't think there's been any change in behavior since CS6 where double-clicking a text frame inside a multi-selection activates the text tool at the point wher you clicked (in earlier versions it would select the word you double-clicked).

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Resize only one object in selection, and other questions. InDesign CC
              TopePrinting Level 1

I hoped I was just missing something, but I guess that's just the way InDesign is now.

Thank you both for yourhelpful answers!