Unable to render videos

mrmsbtc Level 1

Unable to render videos

• 1. Re: Unable to render videos
          the_wine_snob Level 9

mrmsbtc,

Welcome to the forum.

First, a few questions, please:

1. By "Render," do you mean Rendering the Timeline for smoothest playback, by hitting the Enter/Return key, or do you mean outputting an AV file from the Timeline, through Export/Share/Publish+Share? The term "render" is often used for either, though different processes.
          2. What is your PrE version?
          3. What is your OS version?
          4. What happens, when you try to "render?" Any error messages?
          5. Is there an orangish-yellow line ABOVE your Video Clips, in the Timeline?
          6. What are the specs. of both your Imported Video, and also your Project's Settings?

Good luck, and let us know a bit more please.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Unable to render videos
            mrmsbtc Level 1

Hunt,

i was testing to see how this works.   I have given the person who works directly with the software this information.   She will try to join this discussion or create her own question and address your questions.

tks, mrmsbtc

• 3. Re: Unable to render videos
              the_wine_snob Level 9

mrmsbtc,

Thank you for the update. If the user has any questions, or needs clarification on any of the questions asked, please let them know that we are ready to help, in any way possible.

Good luck, and we will await more information.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Unable to render videos
                cris10marie Level 1
                • By "Render," do you mean Rendering the Timeline for smoothest playback, by hitting the Enter/Return key, or do you mean outputting an AV file from the Timeline, through Export/Share/Publish+Share? The term "render" is often used for either, though different processes.  1)  My original question refers to the export/publish/share step of creating a video.  I can save videos in project form, and was once able to publish them.  All of a sudden, the program will run and run for about 20 minutes, at the end of which I get the message "Unknown Error."  I will have a published video with the correct name in the correct location, but when I click "play," the video immediately goes to the "play again?" option in Windows Media Player.  The problem seems to happen when the publishing process is about 99% done.  2)  I also have a problem rendering the timeline.  The program asks me for an administrative password, which I do not have since I am not the tech administrator in my building.  Very frustrating, as it seems I should be able to render the timeline while working to make playback go smoothly.  Why does the system think that rendering the timeline is making changes to the computer that need admin approval?  Isn't it just a saving process?
                • What is your PrE version?    PRE 11
                • What is your OS version?  Windows 7
                • What happens, when you try to "render?" Any error messages?  "Unknown Error"
                • Is there an orangish-yellow line ABOVE your Video Clips, in the Timeline?  Some parts of the video, yes .. but as mentioned above, I cannot render the timeline to make this line go away as I'd like to.
                • What are the specs. of both your Imported Video, and also your Project's Settings?  I am recording in MP4, MBPS.  I am trying to publidsh using the settings for Computer, Windows Media File, and using the default preset of 720x480 16x9 29.97.
                • Thank you.
                • 5. Re: Unable to render videos
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The program really needs to be run by an account with Admin rights... and in some situations, right clicking the program icon and selecting RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR fixes a few "odd" errors

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/error-compiling-movie-rendering-or.html is for Premiere Pro, but the ideas may help

• 6. Re: Unable to render videos
                    cris10marie Level 1

I want you to know that your answer poses a real problem for educators.  It seems to me that Adobe wants to be a leader in products for education.  Students in schools are not running the software on accounts with admin rights.  Surely, there is a way to get the software to work without admin rights, because we have not always had this problem. Students, on their student accounts, have been rendering videos for months. All of a sudden, they can't.  What's the deal?

The answer you have given me leads me to one conclusion -- that I will have to switch to another product.  At this point, I am sorry I wasted my time learning Adobe Premier Elements and am hesitant to try another Adobe product.  Is there really no other help I can turn to, other than to read a forum that was created for one of your another products?

Please offer me some hope here ... I have a video production class that is very disappointed that their time and hard work are being wasted.  In  the meantime, I will try the suggestions you have offered.

Thank you.

• 7. Re: Unable to render videos
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is a user to user forum, not Adobe support... I am another user, not Adobe staff... as such, I can only reply with what I have read about similar problems

I do NOT have direct experience of your problem, because I use MY computer, not a school computer, with full Admin rights

You may want to try Adobe chat... Select a reason, then click I STILL NEED HELP to activate Premiere Elements chat

-http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?product=premiere-elements&topic=activating-my-product- or-serial-number-issues

• 8. Re: Unable to render videos
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Cris10marie,

I do agree with you, and have hoped for many years, that Adobe would work out a way to provide much better, common networked support. So far, the improvements have been minimal, at best, though Adobe Technical Support has been helpful to several IT folk, running networks in some different environments. We (mere users) seldom find out what those changes have been, as all we ever get it is "Well, it worked," with no followup, as to WHAT worked.

I see most of these networked issues in an academic setting, but also in corporate settings. I used to file FR's (Feature Requests) for better, and more complete network support (though it never affected me directly), but gave up after many versions of various Adobe programs, changed nothing.

Wish that the news was better, but you *might* get help from Adobe Technical Support. If you do, please, please update the thread, with what was done to improve things - no other educator has done that, that I can recall.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Unable to render videos
                          cris10marie Level 1

Thank you, John.  I was thinking you were Adobe support.  Thank you for the suggestions!

• 10. Re: Unable to render videos
                            cris10marie Level 1

Share + Publish (Render) Problems:

If anyone else has problems getting their videos to share/publish/render in Adobe Pre 11, please try this fix.  It seems to work for me:

• Open up your video project.
                            • Select a video clip by clicking on it.
                            • Right click on the clip and select "Properties."  A window should open.
                            • Write down the properties of the video, specifically the format, resolution, and frames per second.  Do this for every clip.
                            • Compare the specs for each clip.  Are they the same or different?  If different, that's why you are having a problem rendering/publishing/sharing your videos.
                            • Try taking out any clips that do not have the same properties.  Try to publish/save.
                            • If it works, you have found your problem.
                            • Take each clip separately, import it into Adobe PREL, and publish/save it in the format you want to use.  For example, Windows Media, 720 x 480, 29.97.
                            • Once all clips are properly saved, try again to create your longer video by importing these newly saved/converted clips.  Publish/Save in the same format you have been working with.  It should work!
                            • In the future, make sure all your clips are saved in the same format, or convert them first in Adobe PREL.

Someone did offer this help to be on the forum, but I didn't know how to check the properties of each clip.  (You right click and choose "properties.")   was sure (wrongly) that the clips were all the same because the footage was taken on the same camera.  What I didn't realize was that my students were editing those videos in different programs, which saved them all in different formats.  I neglected to teach them the step on converting in PREL.

• 11. Re: Unable to render videos
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

cris10marie,

Thank you for the detailed followup, and glad that you have a course of action, that should prove successful.

What I didn't realize was that my students were editing those videos in different programs, which saved them all in different formats.  I neglected to teach them the step on converting in PREL.

This is a fairly common issue, though it manifests itself in various ways. Often, a user will decide to convert the original footage, and depending on both the conversion program used, and the settings chosen, can often end up with a file that is impossible to edit in PrE, or one that poses difficulties. While conversion may well be warranted, suggesting that one do so, is usually down the list. Then, folk here usually will make very specific suggestions about the output file, from the conversion program.

Such issues can also be compounded by some Apple programs. Most will not edit original footage natively, and will do an internal conversion, when the file(s) are Imported. This is often not noticed, or even known of, by the user. Then, when a file is output from those programs, things can get even worse, as many of the CODEC's used are Mac-only, and a few available ONLY on a Mac with the initial program installed, such as FCP - even other Mac's cannot handle the files, UNLESS FCP is also installed.

Video editing is really a can-o-worms, with so many variables involved. Most of us here are "perpetual students," as new CODEC's are released, or modified. Same with all the possible programs, that might be used along the way.

Good luck with your classes, and if any here can provide any help whatsoever, please do not hesitate to ask.

Hunt