8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2014 9:01 AM by farolim

up to date summary

farolim Level 1

Why sometimes when I up to date a summary of a unique inDesign document only the title of the summary apears and all pages of the document became empty and all the document return when I eliminate the up to date of the summary?

Please answer me.

Message was edited by: farolim

• 1. Re: up to date summary
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm not sure what you mean by a summary. Perhaps a Table Of Contents?

If that's what it is, it sounds like you have it threaded to the rest of your document. TOC must always be a stand-alone story.

• 2. Re: up to date summary
            farolim Level 1

Thank you

Yes it is the table of contents, I do not understand what you say. I make the table of contents, I up to date it sometimes with succes and after that the table disapear and all the document. Only the title "Table of Contents" remains.

How I do not "threaded to the rest of the document" ? The TOC is in the list of the paragraph styles and on the layout of the tale of contents.

• 3. Re: up to date summary

I sense you may not be a native English speaker, and I want to be clear in my answer for you. Do you understand the terms "story" and "threaded Text"?

A story is a block of continuous text that may be in a single text frame, or may run through multiple threaded (linked) text frames. The TOC must be in a separate story, not connected to other text in the document.  When you update the TOC it replaces the entire story, so if you accidentally thread it to the other text, your main content will disappear, and when that happens there is no longer anything to list in the TOC, so you see only the title.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: up to date summary
                farolim Level 1

Yes I am not a native english speaker and I have a bad english. When I was young the french was the international language and I learn it very well... but now only the native french speakers understand it!

I go to see what hapen with the TOC. I have images linked to titles but I have it before and no errors with the up date of the table of contents.

I hope you can understand and I thank you

• 5. Re: up to date summary

I'm not quite sure what you meant in your last post.

We have many users here who speak French (though not me), and if it would help you, please post in French and we'll translate on our end.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: up to date summary
                    farolim Level 1

Ce  que je voulais dire c'est que je vais revoir le TOC et les titres du document et encore que j'ai pas de "links" sauf ceux des images qui sont attachés aux titres. Je vais aussi vérifier si toutes les pages sont reliées.

Je vous dirais si je résous le probléme et merci bien pour tous vos efforts.

• 7. Re: up to date summary

A TOC cannot pick up images directly because it works by finding paragraphs that have a style applied. If the image is an anchored object in a target paragraph, however, it should show in the TOC as well.

• 8. Re: up to date summary
                        farolim Level 1

C'est fait, mais j'ai pas trouvé le probléme. J'ai copié tout le texte avec les images et je l'ai collé dans un autre document et j'ai pu alors faire la "table of contents" sans problémes.

Merci pour m'avoir répondu mais j'ai été incapable de trouver ce qui c'est passé  dans le premier document.