6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2014 11:19 AM by ccaleb.kingston

Images are appearing blacked out and drop shadows don't render

ccaleb.kingston

Hey There,

I'm trying to export an InDesign project that was supposed to print out this morning. When I exported it to pdf, a lot of the images appear as black and drop shadows appear to be outer glows for some reason. Can someone please tell me what settings I have wrong on here? I set appearance of black to show as accurate during export but that didn't seem to change anything.

InDesign document with accurate colors.

Screen Shot 2014-01-06 at 9.08.59 AM.png

Acrobat PDF (exported from InDesign) with items blacked out and drop shadows showing as glows.

Screen Shot 2014-01-06 at 9.08.39 AM.png

Thanks,

Caleb

• 1. Re: Images are appearing blacked out and drop shadows don't render
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Appearance of Black is only for when outputting or viewing the document in RGB.

You can display blacks as rich blacks, and you can choose to output blacks as rich blacks - but it's only for RGB devices.

This looks like a clipping path gone awry.

What happens if you view the document in "View>Overprint Preview"?

• 2. Re: Images are appearing blacked out and drop shadows don't render

Well it's probably not the clipping path looking at it again, it looks like it might be something else.

• 3. Re: Images are appearing blacked out and drop shadows don't render
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Let's get some basic information, please.

Version of ID? OS? Which Export Preset, or waht custom settings when making the PDF? Is the PDF supposed to be Grayscale (I don't see any color at all inthe PDF screen grab)? Waht application are you using to view the PDF?

• 4. Re: Images are appearing blacked out and drop shadows don't render
                ccaleb.kingston Level 1

Hey guys, while running through your questions, I've found this black out only appears in "Preview" apples pdf viewing program but it shows accurately using "adobe acrobat" Is there a way to get it to render smooth through all?

Eugene Tyson wrote:

What happens if you view the document in "View>Overprint Preview"?

When changing the view, the images still look fine in InDesign but still exports as shown above.

Peter Spier wrote:

Version of ID? OS? Which Export Preset, or waht custom settings when making the PDF? Is the PDF supposed to be Grayscale (I don't see any color at all inthe PDF screen grab)? Waht application are you using to view the PDF?

Versioin: InDesign CC 9.1

Export Preset: [High Quality Print] without custom changes.

The PDF is color. I have 14 pages and everything that is supposed to be color is but on this accessories page, it just shows images completely blacked out. I have graphics that I put a drop shadow on thru photoshop and they render nice but when I use the drop shadow option in indesign, it just shows a weird glow.

I am using Apples program (Preview) BUT I just tried viewing it in adobe acrobat and all coloring is as it should be?? Why would one pdf previewer render different than another?

• 5. Re: Images are appearing blacked out and drop shadows don't render

Apples PDF previewer, or any 3rd party pdf viewer doesn't support all Adobe's PDF modules.

They are notorious for being problematic with "complex" pdfs.

Same with Mozilla PDF reader, Chrome and loads of other 3rd Party Readers.

If it's for viewing online you can use the PDF Smallest File size and choose Adobe Acrobat 4 for the setting - and this will give the dumbest version for web.

If you want higher quality images for the screen you can set it to to 96 or 100 in the compression settings.

If it's for Print - then consult your print provider for the optimum settings for their equipment.

• 6. Re: Images are appearing blacked out and drop shadows don't render
                    ccaleb.kingston Level 1

Thank you ALL for your support. Communities sure are nice Your suggestions have been very helpful and I'll be sure to let our printers tell me what settings they want. Thanks again!