11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2014 12:52 PM by andrew-dd_1937

How to delete a .avi file from Premiere Elements 11 Organizer

andrew-dd_1937 Level 1

I have a file named "my new video project1.avi" that shows up in the Premiere Elements 11 Organizer that I'm trying unsuccessfully unable to delete.

I cannot search and find the file on the Win 7 hard drive, even when I set "file folders" to show hidden files.  Nor can I find it on my external hard drive using the date and time the file was created 01/12/2013 8:45 AM.  I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program but the file reappeared in the Organizer.

Within the file's icon are a centrally located ? and another yellow ? in the upper left corner that when clicked attempt (again unsuccessfully) to reconnect the missing file.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this problem would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: How to delete a .avi file from Premiere Elements 11 Organizer
          nealeh Level 5

You ought to be able to just press delete to delete it from the catalog. But if that's not working try using Find> All Missing Files. It ought to appear in that list and you can try deleting it from there.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 2. Re: How to delete a .avi file from Premiere Elements 11 Organizer
            andrew-dd_1937 Level 1

Thank you Neale but neither of those suggestions was able to find the “empty” file.

What if I create a new project using the same title, would that fill the empty file such that U could then do a complete delete?

• 3. Re: How to delete a .avi file from Premiere Elements 11 Organizer
              nealeh Level 5

An .avi file is a video file, not a project file - how did you create it in the first place? What you could try doing is just creating a file in notepad called 'my new video project1.avi', putting it where the Organizer is looking for it and seeing if it will then allow you to delete it.

Cheers,

--

Neale

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 4. Re: How to delete a .avi file from Premiere Elements 11 Organizer
                andrew-dd_1937 Level 1

I created the notepad file and saved it.  When I next opened the Organizer the two question marks on the Media Organizer’s file icon had disappeared.

But, the file will not transfer to Premiere Elements 11 – what I get is an error message stating:- “this type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed.”

Supposedly the .avi file is 52.3MB but nowhere on the PC’s hard drive or the external hard drive can I find such a file.

I don’t think I inherited this insanity from my children!!

Thanks Neale,

Richard

• 5. Re: How to delete a .avi file from Premiere Elements 11 Organizer
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Andrew,

That "dummy" TXT file, with the .AVI extension, will not Import.

With the external HDD plugged-in, and turned on, I would do a Search for *.AVI on the entire Computer, and let that complete. Then, in the Search Folder, just Sort By File Name. There might be tons of files in the Search Folder, but you should be able to tell if you DO have that file somewhere.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How to delete a .avi file from Premiere Elements 11 Organizer
                    andrew-dd_1937 Level 1

Hi Bill.

No joy, although I did get rid of some other junk by doing that.

I’m a bit confused why this file got picked up after I had uninstalled and then reinstalled Premiere Elements 11.  Is there a way to prevent that from happening when one does a program reinstall (from the disc)?

Many thanks.

• 7. Re: How to delete a .avi file from Premiere Elements 11 Organizer
                      nealeh Level 5

andrew-dd_1937 wrote:

But, the file will not transfer to Premiere Elements 11 – what I get is an error message stating:- “this type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed.”

It wouldn't. It isn't a real video file, just a dummy file so that the Organizer could find it and then hopefully allow you to delete it from the catalog. Can you now delete it?

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 8. Re: How to delete a .avi file from Premiere Elements 11 Organizer
                        andrew-dd_1937 Level 1

No.  Bill Hunt suggested I run a simultaneous search on the PC and external drive using *.avi

But that didn't find the file either.

I've asked Bill if it's possible to uninstall the program and then do an install that doesn't permit unrelated files such as the ........avi file from being picked up.

• 9. Re: How to delete a .avi file from Premiere Elements 11 Organizer
                          nealeh Level 5

I'm wondering if it is a permissions problem. In Windows Explorer find the file C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Elements 11 Organizer\PhotoshopElementsOrganizer.exe. Right-click it and select 'Run as Administrator'. After it starts can you now delete the problem file?

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale

• 11. Re: How to delete a .avi file from Premiere Elements 11 Organizer
                            andrew-dd_1937 Level 1

I think I may have stumbled across the reason why I’m unable to delete the problem .avi file:

I’m wondering if it may be due to the fact that when one installs Pre11 (on a Windows 7 Pro PC) the program automatically creates 3 separate folders – one in “Libraries - Documents”, one in “Program files” and one in “Program files (x86)”.

It appears that when one opens a new project the “my new project” files get stored in new folders in the “Libraries – Documents – Adobe” folder and elsewhere i.e. the x86 Program folder or, in a named folder in “Libraries – Videos” that one creates specifically for the project.

After the project has been completed, and assuming the project’s files that are stored in the Documents and (x86?) folders etc are deleted, one winds up with a single “my new video project.avi” file in the Organizer.  When one attempts to delete this file an error message is generated because, the file has been deleted and therefore it doesn’t exist.

My questions now are:-

1) Can Premiere Elements 11 function without the Organizer, therefore it can be safely deleted from the x86 program files?

2) Alternatively, should I initially delete all the files from the Organizer that relate to the new project I just created, but no longer need, rather than initially deleting them in the Adobe Documents etc folders?

Thank you.