13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2014 8:10 PM by Mitchwriter

Upgrading In Design

Mitchwriter

Hello,

I have InDesign CS 3.0.1.  I am trying to upload a book I formatted in In Design to AMazon's Kindle program. They tell me to use a Kindle plug in for In Design but requires version CS4 or CS5 or CS6.

How can I upgrade? And if I do how will this effect the book I wrote and formatted in In Design 3.0?

Thank you,

Mitch

• 1. Re: Upgrading In Design
          Jeff A Wright Adobe Employee

Moving this discussion to the InDesign forum.

• 2. Re: Upgrading In Design
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is no upgrade path from InDesign CS3. You'll either have to pay full price for a "perpetual" copy of InDesign CS6, or get a subscription to InDesign CC. The good news is that you buy a monthly subscription to InDesign CC, and not renew when your project was done (if this is a one-time thing).

There might be some reflow when opening a CS3 document into InDesign CS6/CC but for an EPUB or Kindle file, that's really not as issue since text will reflow in the Kindle anyway.

You'd be wise to view Anne-Marie Concepcion's videos on Lynda.com about creating EPUB files because she also covers conversion to Kindle format. There is an offer for a free week of Lynda.com around but I don't have a link. You'll need to consistently apply paragraph and character styling thoughout. She covers that subject and the other things you need to know (how to create a TOC, etc.) well.

• 3. Re: Upgrading In Design
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As far as purchases go, CS6 is the only version Adobe is selling of those you listed but there is no path to upgrade from CS3 to CS6.  One thing you could do is acquire the trial version of any one of the three you listed and use that for the 30 days they allow for. 

The site where you can get them is http://prodesigntools.com/tag/ddl  but you need to be sure to follow the steps outlined in the Note: Very Important Instructions section on the download pages at this site and have cookies enabled in your browser or else the download will not work properly.

• 4. Re: Upgrading In Design
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

There was a first-year discount being offered for CS3 users who decided to subscribe to Creative Cloud, but I'm not sure that's still in effect. There are no other "upgrade" offers.

Your choices now are find a copy of CS4 or CS5 on the open market (risky), buy a perpetual license for CS6, or subscribe to the cloud and get both CC and CS6 as part of the subscription. You shold find a lot of improvement in eBook tools in CS6.

The bad news is your text is going to reflow as soon as you touch it in a newer version (text engines change every version). Your best bet is to export from CS3 to .inx, then open that in whatever version you wind up using. Not only is this safer than a direct conversion of the .indd file, it will get all of the reflow out of the way as soon as you open the file so you can avoid surprises byt scanning through looking for problems.

• 5. Re: Upgrading In Design
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Here’s the 7-day Lynda.com trial: http://bit.ly/RS0GXs

• 6. Re: Upgrading In Design
                    Mitchwriter Level 1

I want to thank everyone that responded to my question about upgrading InDesign. Very much appreciate your time. Here's the question again:

I have InDesign CS 3.0.1.  I am trying to upload a book I formatted in In Design to AMazon's Kindle program. They tell me to use a Kindle plug in for In Design but requires version CS4 or CS5 or CS6. How can I upgrade? And if I do how will this effect the book I wrote and formatted in In Design 3.0?

I think I found another approach. Kindle E-books says it's best to upload a word file for the best transfer to an E-book. So I bought a suscription to Adobe's PDF to Word software converter. I took my PDF file which was exported from my INDesign book and converted it to word. Everything came out fine such as  most of the text and all the images (all in the right place) except that any words that contained "tt" or "ti" or "ft" were replaced by a "?" within the outline of a box. Here's an example:

good way to go. You’ll enjoy the cooling effect without any danger. For colder weather choose materials

that we call “quick dry.” These are synthe�c materials that are basically types of nylon like polypropylene and capilene

that keep you warmer than co�on and o�en have proper�es that wick away dampness from your skin. And they simply

dry quicker. Most likely you have a synthe�c short

or long sleeved shirt in your closet. Even be�er, buy one with a high sun protec�on factor.

Synthe�c bo�oms: Same materials as described above. You can wear board shorts or bathing trunks, shorts, bikini bo�oms and so forth.

If you are looking for more sun protec�on on the lower half get something

light weight and non-restric�ve that covers your calves.

So I am close. Spent an hour and a half with Adobe support and they haven't figured it out yet. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear from you.

Thank you,

from MitchMy Books

• 7. Re: Upgrading In Design

Please turn off or delete the autoquote when you respond by email

The missing characters are ligatures, which are not supported in Word. You should be able to turn them off in the whole document in ID using Find/Change (and you can turn them off as the default for new text from the Character Pallette flyout menu).

In Find/Change switch to the GREP tab and inthe Find filed type .+

Leave the change field blank, but click the More Options button if the formatting options boxes are not showing. Click the magnifier next to the Change formatting to open the dialog and go to the Basic Character Formats section and clear the checkbox for ligatures.

Set the scope of the search to Document and press Change All. You might want to do this on a copy to be safe.

• 8. Re: Upgrading In Design
                        gert verrept Level 2

Seems to me a "ligature" question. Check in the para styles if the "ligatures" is checked.

Try "unchecking" it and/or retype a sentense and see if it's ok.

• 9. Re: Upgrading In Design
                          Mitchwriter Level 1

Peter,

Thank you again. I'm sorry I don't know how one turns off autoquote feature.

Also, took your advice and went into INdesign file and found the Find/Change box. But I do not see the Greb Tab option. Perhaps my older version ID CS3.0.1 doesn't offer this?

Thank you,

from MitchMy Books

• 10. Re: Upgrading In Design

Autoquote is a feature of the email program -- something like "include original text in your reply."

Sorry about the GREP. I was reading fast and read CS3, not CS 3.0.1.  You can use the Text search tab and enter ^? in the Find field. It's not as efficient, but it should work. Same thing about the change format.

here's a screen shot I made earlier with the GREP tab showing, but it also shows the change format dialog:

Remove Ligatures.png

• 11. Re: Upgrading In Design
                              Mitchwriter Level 1

Peter:

Just really wanted to thank you. Your latest suggestion seemed to resolve the problem. The conversion from InDesign PDF to word file (via Adope pdf converter) seems clean now. Curious do you work for Adobe or just an interested tech guy?

Thanks again,

Mitch

Re: Upgrading In Design

created by Peter Spier in InDesign - View the full discussion

Autoquote is a feature of the email program -- something like "include original text in your reply."

Sorry about the GREP. I was reading fast and read CS3, not CS 3.0.1.  You can use the Text search tab and enter ^? in the Find field. It's not as efficient, but it should work. Same thing about the change format.

• 12. Re: Upgrading In Design

Like most everyone you'll encounter here, I'm just a longtime InDesign user volunteer.

• 13. Re: Upgrading In Design
                                  Mitchwriter Level 1

Peter,

Thank you again. Happy New Year.

from MitchMy Books