7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2014 9:10 AM by A.T. Romano

Import an FLV file from Adobe Connect into Premiere Elements 12?

C-T McNamara

The Adobe Connect support staff recommended that we use Adobe Premiere Elements to edit the FLV file that we exported out of their software.  We purchased Adobe Premiere Elements 12 based on that advice.  Now we see that FLV files are not on the list of supported import files. 

How can I import an FLV file from Adobe Connect into Adobe Premiere Elements 12 for editing?

• 1. Re: Import an FLV file from Adobe Connect into Premiere Elements 12?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Over the years, I have used Moyea's Flash Importer plug-in for PrPro, and it has worked perfectly. With about PrPro CS 4, IIRC, Adobe did add an FLV Importer, so Moyea began to suspend development of that plug-in. Then, with the release of the CC version of PrPro, they dropped FLV completely.

Now, Moyea does have other programs, but I do not know if any of them are plug-ins for PrE. However, many of their programs can create, edit and output FLV.

There is also a (free, if memory serves) FLV converter, FLV to AVI, which I used to convert FLV files, before I discovered the Moyea plug-in for my PrPro.

I would look into Moyea, to see if there is anything, that will work as a plug-in to PrE, http://www.video-to-flash.com/products/, and if not, explore a program, such as FLV to AVI: http://www.pazera-software.com/products/flv-to-avi-converter/

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Import an FLV file from Adobe Connect into Premiere Elements 12?
            nealeh Level 5

And if that's the only reason you bought PRE you should be able to return it for refund.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 3. Re: Import an FLV file from Adobe Connect into Premiere Elements 12?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

C-T McNamara

I am only guessing, but someone might have confused Premiere Pro with Premiere Elements and FLV Import based on the following Premiere Pro Adobe document

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/transferring-importing-files.html

If I am reading the document correctly, Premiere Pro supports FLV with On2VP6 video codec but not FLV with the Sorenson Spark video codec.

The document appears to be a generic one, stating that it applies to Premiere Pro, not specifying what versions - assumed all?

ATR

• 4. Re: Import an FLV file from Adobe Connect into Premiere Elements 12?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Your reading of that PrPro document is correct. As of about version CS 4.2 (the second update to CS 4), Adobe DID add the FLV Import, just as stated -

On2VP6 video codec but not FLV with the Sorenson Spark video codec.

That FLV Import support continued through PrPro CS 5, CS 5.5 and CS 6, but was then removed in PrPro CC, with the version 7.2, IIRC. There are many users upset by that dropping of the support, and their only course of action is to either not upgrade to the latest, or roll-back to an earlier upgrade.

NOTE: All of the above applies to Premiere Pro.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Import an FLV file from Adobe Connect into Premiere Elements 12?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Thanks for the important update and overview for the Adobe Premiere Pro document that I posted only to point out a possible source of confusion for those looking for a FLV answer and not noting Premiere Pro in the title and making no distinction between Premiere Pro and Premiere Elements in this regard.

Nice update and overview.

Thanks

ATR

• 6. Re: Import an FLV file from Adobe Connect into Premiere Elements 12?
                    C-T McNamara Level 1

Bill, Neale and A.T.,

Thank you all for your responses.  I don't think the document A.T. posted is the one that I saw, or I would have researched which codec I had, but I could be wrong.  I might also have gotten confused by looking at Forum posts related to PremPro or older versions, not realizing that Adobe might take away support for a format that they produce in other tools, like Adobe Connect.

Curiously, the support person that I ended up working with appeared to believe that I should have been able to import it if I could view them in my Media Player.  When we checked the version of the codec in my FLV files, he could see that it was a codec that was not supported.  He then asked use TeamViewer on my system and proceeded to install an FLV-AVI converter that came wtih AVG Search Toolbar and other AVG software - I spent serveral hours over the last couple days getting rid of all the AVG baggage.  And the resulting AVI does not import into Premiere Elements either.

Most importantly for us, we do have an option other than not upgrading or rolling back, and that will be to choose a different software tool for our video editing.

The unfortunate part of that choice will be not having such a great community of fellow users.

Thanks again,

C & T McNamara

• 7. Re: Import an FLV file from Adobe Connect into Premiere Elements 12?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

C-T McNamara

Thanks for the update.

That Moyea Plug-in was very convenient in earlier versions of Premiere Elements for forcing the flv import into the Premiere Elements project. It is unfortunate that it is not available to the latest versions.

Success with your video editor decisions.

ATR