8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2014 5:09 AM by veeeev

Is it possible to use EdgeAnimate on Amazon S3 (static website)?

veeeev

How do?

My question is in the title really. Is it possible to display an edge animate composition on Amazon S3? It seems to deal with my static sites fine. HTML5, CSS, Jquery, Javascript, no issues at all.
      I had a sniff around the comp files and if I remember rightly there are JSON files included, which I'm not too sure about. I'm self-taught over the past couple of years, so there's plenty I don't know about, so any tips would be greatfully recieved. Nothing in the code I've seen suggests EdgeAnimate needs any benefit from serverside proceedures.

You can insert CORRS Configurations and XML files. I don't know if either would aid making it work in this case, but I do use CORRS Configurations to allow an upload form (plupload) to work on one of my sites so figured I'd best suggest them.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

• 1. Re: Is it possible to use EdgeAnimate on Amazon S3 (static website)?
          ladobeugm Level 1

Funny, but I was just using S3 for an Animate Project today. Although in my case, it was to add media to be used in an Animate project that was hosted somewhere else. One would think if you make all the files public and keep the same order, then yes, you should be able to run your site on S3. Only way to know? Try. I'd do a simple site first for testing.

• 2. Re: Is it possible to use EdgeAnimate on Amazon S3 (static website)?
            veeeev Level 1

Thanks for your reply Ladobeugm.

Ah, so you mean you're hosting the files (pictures I assume) on S3, but serving the comp from a real server?

Sorry, I should have mentioned, I have tried lot's of times, to no avail. I'm only asking because I'm unable to find a way around it not working. All files ACL access settings are set to public access, with the bucket configured as a website. I'm fresh out of ideas. I do run an EC2 server with Wordpress on it. I know EdgeAnimate can work on Wordpress/EC2, but my main aim is to have it work on S3. When considering the pricing difference for serving websites, it's a no-brainer. EdgeAnimate is such a useful tool I don't want to be without it, but this has had me stumped for weeks.

EdgeAnimate works fine locally and since I'm not using Lamp or any similar product, I figure if it works locally it should work when served statically from S3. So it seems it's a configuration on S3. I just have no idea what that configuration may be.

• 3. Re: Is it possible to use EdgeAnimate on Amazon S3 (static website)?
              ladobeugm Level 1

Have you contacted Amazon support yet? I'll be the first to say they may not even know what EdgeAnimate is.....but it doesn't hurt to try and have them test it in console or something for errors.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Is it possible to use EdgeAnimate on Amazon S3 (static website)?
                veeeev Level 1

Admittedly, no I haven't. I generally get the answers I need through research (eventually!!!), but I will get in touch with them in the morning. I guess I was hoping someone else had come across this first.
                Thanks for your suggestions. I'll leave this open for now, in case someone does know the answer. If I get a positive answer from AWS I'll post the result here to help anyone else that may be faced with the same issue.

Cheers.

• 5. Re: Is it possible to use EdgeAnimate on Amazon S3 (static website)?
                  veeeev Level 1

Tough one hey?!

EdgeAnimate does have a static export option. Just tried that out again, still with no joy. The only files are Javascript, HTML and .Png's. Using Inspector, the source all shows up fine. The only discrepancy is that the browser couldn't find the preloader image. Obviously this wouldn't prevent it from working.

I've asked the same question on the AWS forum and Stack Overflow. No useful answers at all. Would have thought the techs at Stack Overflow would know, they know EVERYTHING!!

Meh! Looks like my comps will have to go on EC2 then. It's a shame because it's hardly ideal. Adobe - Though I'm sure one persons issue wouldn't qualify any changes, sites served from CDN's are becoming more popular, so maybe one to think about for the future. 

• 6. Re: Is it possible to use EdgeAnimate on Amazon S3 (static website)?
                    elainecc Adobe Employee

Hi, veeeev-

My understanding of Amazon S3 is that it's not actually a webserver, but just a file storage with a bunch of APIs you can hook up to.  Publishing to static HTML doesn't actually publish static pages; it publishes your text to the HTML so that it can be picked up by search engines.  We could take a look at your page if you post it to a server for us to play with, but it seems like it's using S3 for a purpose it's not intended for.

Thanks,

-Elaine

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Is it possible to use EdgeAnimate on Amazon S3 (static website)?
                      veeeev Level 1

Hi Elaine,

Thank you for your reply. You're correct, S3 is indeed file storage. The ability to use it to serve websites is well promoted though, by Amazon and elsewhere. Obviously, being a CDN, nothing server-side is possible, such as using .PHP files for contact forms, or MYSQL for databases, but then the EdgeAnimate projects don't require any of that. This is where my confusion lies. I use all of the files you would typically find in an EdgeAnimate comp on my websites. In the comps you have the HTML that links to the necessary .js/.css files. That's no different to how my sites are served.

Did you mean for me to post the comp on a normal webserver and show you, or to upload it to S3 and show you?  I've tried on traditional servers and there are no issues whatsoever so, the compositions work fine. If you meant the latter, I'd be happy to do that and appreciative of you taking the time to look. I'll create a quick mock-up or use one of the available templates in the morning (it's really late in the UK) and post a link back here.

• 8. Re: Is it possible to use EdgeAnimate on Amazon S3 (static website)?
                        veeeev Level 1

Ahhh, you're going to think I'm a ******, and rightfully so, but I'd literally been over this a hundred times before posting anything on a forum like this. Maybe it's because my comps were more techinal than this one, or maybe it doesn't like the method used when using .oam's with Dreamweaver, but, it's working. Viva le forum aliases! My only salvation. Thank you for taking the time anyway.

Edit: After more testing, more simple compostions seem to work without issue, more complicated ones seem to struggle to load