6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2014 7:30 AM by Marc Lucas

Slow RAM preview playback

Marc Lucas Level 1

All Comps in a project were 720p 25 fps There was one clip a piece of stock footage that was 24p so I retimed it because when I conformed it to 25p it was shorter in the timeline. I exported and reimported into the project. Now all the original footage (talent speaking to camera) is playing back really slowly like its being really slowed down?

I have seen that the RAM preview is down to 15 fps

Message was edited by: Kevin Monahan for legibility reasons.

• 1. Re: Slow RAM preview playback
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1. How did you change the 24p footage to 25? If there was no audio or audio was not a factor the right way to do it is by changing the footage interpretation. There would be no effect on renderings that way.

2. How are  you doing a RAM preview?

3. What are your system settings, OS, and AE version? What about your composition settings? There's not much to go on here.

• 2. Re: Slow RAM preview playback
            Marc Lucas Level 1

OSX 10.9.1

AE CC 12.2.0.52

The footage was 24p I then interpreted the footage as 25p this mage the footage shorter so I then used Time/Retime footage to lengthen the footage by a couple of seconds. I then exported this and imported back into the project. Yes as you mentioned I could of just conformed but only realised that after. Then after reimporting the footage back into the project I replaced it with the 25p footage. I am RAM previewing by just clicking the RAM Preview button in the Preview player. Now only playing back at 15 fps even if I have opened a new project. I have also noticed that the audio default export settings had changed to 8kHz instead of my default 48

• 3. Re: Slow RAM preview playback
              DA post prod Level 2

For test purpose, try creating a new project, importing only one of your footage, and check if the RAM preview is 25fps in there.

• 4. Re: Slow RAM preview playback
                Marc Lucas Level 1

I did that I created a new project and only imported one of my green screen shots that was shot at 25p and RAM previewed and it played back slow so I think it is AE in general not just the project?

• 5. Re: Slow RAM preview playback
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Marc Lucas wrote:

I have also noticed that the audio default export settings had changed to 8kHz instead of my default 48

That is a bug in 12.2. Adobe is aware of it, there is a workaround, and a fix is on the way. See here.

• 6. Re: Slow RAM preview playback
                    Marc Lucas Level 1

Thanks for the heads up with the Audio bug:-)

AE is really killing me today with the other RAM preview problem, I have TV commercial on a deadline really annoyed.