4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2014 3:53 PM by Chris Cox

Why doesn't my Photoshop CS6 open a new document?

gdfroiland

My new photoshop CS6 will not open a new document, nor will it open a photograph. I re-installed the program but that did not help. I reset the preferences but that didn't help either. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Why doesn't my Photoshop CS6 open a new document?
          Salah Fadlabi Level 5

Run CC Cleaner and try to reinstall again

CS Cleaner Tool for installation problems | CCM, CS6, CS5.5, CS5, CS4, CS3

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs5-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

• 2. Re: Why doesn't my Photoshop CS6 open a new document?
            Level 7

Does a new window appear when you try to open a document?

If so, try disabling GPU drawing then restarting Photoshop.  If that works, it means the problem is with your video card driver. Usually updating the driver from the GPU maker will resolve the problem.

If no window appears - then something on your system is interfereing with the operation of Photoshop. We've seen some utility programs, and even certain versions of web browsers cause problems (by hooking into OS functions incorrectly).

• 3. Re: Why doesn't my Photoshop CS6 open a new document?
              gdfroiland Level 1

Hello,

I found the fix. First of all, my Photoshop CS2 would open OK, but when I

wanted to make a new document, chose the size and clicked OK, nothing

happened. Then I would try and open a picture. I would go to File/Open, go

to my folder, click on a picture to open, and nothing would happen. Another

problem I had was with In-Design. When working on a page, I would make a

text box and insert text, but I could not move that text box. I could drag

the handles and reposition it that way, but I could not move the box to

place it where I wanted it easily. Also I could not move picture boxes. I

found a fix: Hit the ESC (escape key). That fixed everything in Photoshop

and In-Design. So unless there's way I can permanently fix this problem,

when it does it again I'll simply hit the esc key. Please let me know if

there is a permanent fix for this. Is it a problem with the brand new

computer I bought last week?

Gary

• 4. Re: Why doesn't my Photoshop CS6 open a new document?
                Level 7

Ah, that sounds like you have a dialog offscreen, or something messing up window layering (so it appears under other windows).

No, I'd guess that the problem is some utility or application running on your system.

But I don't know what could mess up Photoshop and InDesign like that.

Try closing other applications (browsers included), or turning off system utilities, and see if the problem goes away.