26 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2014 6:26 PM by lilthea

How do I get Premiere Elements 8 to work?

lilthea Level 1

I had to get a new computer so I re-downloaded Premiere Elements 8 and it won't work at all.  I get the opening splash type screen, but I can't start a new project or open an old one.

I used the same link to download Premiere Elements to my new laptop and it worked, although I had to go to support to get them to help me activate it.  I wasn't able to inactivate Premiere Elements on my old laptop as it had crashed and burned.  The person who helped me activate Premiere Elements for my laptop said that I shouldn't have any problem activating it on my desktop.  However, it hasn't asked me to activate it, it just won't work.

I am using Windows 7 Professional with a 64-bit operating system, a 4 GHz processor and 16 gigs of RAM.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

• 1. Re: How do I get Premiere Elements 8 to work?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

lelthea

Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 works fine on my Windows 7 Professional SP2 64 bit computer.

But, your 16 GB RAM are not going to give you an advantage. The version is still a 32 bit application with all the limitations of 32 byt system.

Make sure that you have installed the 8.0.1 Update and are working from that.

Make sure that you run the program with the automatic Background Rendering and AutoAnalzyer features turned off.

Make sure that you are working from a optimized computer.

Other make sure include:

a. Latest version of QuickTime installed on same computer as Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1

b. Working from program Run As Administrator or from User Account with Administrative Privileges

c. Up to date video card driver

What was the nature of the Activation problem. Too many computers with the purchased serial number of some thing else?

Let us start here. I will look into your thread in the morning to look for further developments.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I get Premiere Elements 8 to work?
            lilthea Level 1

Thank you for responding.

I have downloaded and installed 8.01

I have AutoAnalzyer off.  If Background Rendering would show up in Windows Task Manager under processes, then it is off.

I keep my computer optimized as best I can.

My video card is an AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series and the driver was updated in October, 2013.

I had two computers, a desktop and a laptop, that had Premiere Elements installed on them.  They were both replaced, so it appeared that I was trying to install it on too many computers.

I am wondering if the problem isn't one of incomplete installation.  All I get is the opening splash type screen.  It never opens.

Thanks again,

Lilthea

• 3. Re: How do I get Premiere Elements 8 to work?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Lilthea

Thanks for the follow up. Much appreciated the details.

Please consider the uninstall/reinstall route at this time for troubleshooting purposes, as follows....

a. If you could get into Help Menu/Deactiviate, we would start there, but that is not the case so on to b.

b. Control Panel and uninstall Premiere Elements 8 there.

c. Run the ccleaner (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts) to get rid of leftovers from incomplete installs and/or uninstalls.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

d. Reinstall Premiere Elements 8. Then install the 8.0.1 Update.

e. Double check to make sure that automatic Background Rendering and AutoAnalyzer are turned off.

For Background Rendering feature...Edit Menu/Preferences/General and then make sure the option for background rendering is disabled (this feature should be shut off automatically with the 8.0.1 Update install...but check just in case).

For AutoAnalyzer...Click on Organizer in the row below the active Organize header to open the Elements Organizer. In the Elements Organizer workspace, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoAnalyzer Options and disable all under that. To get back to the Premiere Elements workspace from the Elements Organizer workspace, in the Elements Organizer workspace, go to File Menu/Exit.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: How do I get Premiere Elements 8 to work?
                lilthea Level 1

Hello,

I uninstalled Premiere Elements 8 and ran the ccleaner.

I reinstalled it and installed the 8.01 update.

I still was not able to open Premiere Elements 8 but was able to open Elements Organizer.  I disabled AutoAnalyzer through edit preferences but was unable to get to Background/Synchronization.  The error message said that I was not signed into my account so I couldn't make any changes to the settings.  When I tried to sign in, I got this message:  Photoshop.com services are currently unavailable.  Please try again later or check your network connections.

By the way, this is the same error message I get when I try to log into my account using the splash page for Premiere Elements 8.  However, I am able to sign in through the adobe website.  But being signed in on the website doesn't help me to sign in to my account through Elements Organizer.

I still can't launch PE8.  It looks like it wants to open, I get a small PE8 splash type thing that flashes for just a second then disappears.

In Elements Organizer workspace, if I go to File Menu/Exit, the workspace closes, but the PE8 workspace does not open.

Thanks for helping me with this,

Lilthea

• 5. Re: How do I get Premiere Elements 8 to work?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Lilthea

The Adobe ID and Password are no longer done in versions earlier than 11. It went with the passing of photoshop.com. And, any photoshop.com plus members only items are no longer available although their thumbnails can be found in the opened project.

If you encounter Sign In messages. Ignore, cancel and continue.

Please remind me if

QuickTime latest version installed

Run As Administrator applied by right clicking the desktop icon for Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1.

Have you done a Restart of the computer?

More later.

ATR

• 6. Re: How do I get Premiere Elements 8 to work?
                    lilthea Level 1

Hello,

Sorry, I forgot mention that I do have the latest QuickTime installed and yes, I try to open it as Run As Administrator.

I have done a restart.  It still doesn't open.

I thought I had posted this reply, but I must have forgotten to finish it.  Sorry.

Lilthea

• 7. Re: How do I get Premiere Elements 8 to work?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Lilthea

Thanks for the follow up.

Way out possibility but let us try deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Pref file (settings file).

The path to it in your Windows 7 64 bit would be:

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 8.0 Folder is the "Adobe Premiere Elements Pref" file that you delete.

Make sure that you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

Do you have any 3rd party plug-ins, purchased and added codecs? Do you have any other special  programs that you suspect might conflict with Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1.?

You said that your computer's video card is the AMD Radeon HD7800. Does your computer have just that one video card? In Device Manager/Display Adapter, is that the only one listed?

You say that the latest video card version is installed (Oct. 2013). Did you confirm the latest with information at the web site of the manufacturer of the video card or the manufacturer of the computer?

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: How do I get Premiere Elements 8 to work?
                        lilthea Level 1

Hello,

I followed the directions and when I opened the 8.0 folder, all I saw was Trace database.txt and when I opened that this is what I found:

ASL.ResourceUtils.GetLanguageIDFromRegistry15
                        Master1

I don't have any 3rd party plug-ins, purchased and added codecs that I know of. 

As to any special programs, I do not know what might conflict with Premiere Element.  I have an old Macromedia suite and and old Photoshop, but not a lot of other software. 

I only have one video card.

I went to the video card manufacturer's website to check on the driver.  I am sorry, but I do not understand what I need to download to update my driver.   I am leery of downloading things off the Internet without knowing exactly what it is I am downloading.  So often, when you go to open what has been downloaded, it is not what you wanted.  When I went to open the downloaded driver, it said drivertuner.  I did not procede with the installation.

Thanks,

Laurel

• 9. Re: How do I get Premiere Elements 8 to work?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Laurel

Let us work on the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file deletion. I suspect that you detoured from the path. If you have Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 on Windows 7 64 bit, it should be where I said. I have Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 on Windows 7 64 bit, and it is there. Please check the route again. Be sure to have Folder Options of your computer set so that you are using Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives. Many paths are not shown completely if you are not using that Folder Option.

If you confirm that you cannot find that path (it definitely is not on your computer), then it might be time for uninstall, ccleaner, and reinstall.

Also, please go to your desktop icon for Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1, right click it, and select Run As Administrator even if you are running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges.

More later.

Thanks for the follow ups with the troubleshooting.

ATR

• 10. Re: How do I get Premiere Elements 8 to work?
                            lilthea Level 1

Hello,

I double checked and took a couple of screen shots - this is what I saw:  http://liltheadesigns.com/images/adobesearch.jpg   Included is a screen shot of the path to the folder.

I did find another Premiere Elements folder on my computer.  It is in one of my (2) program folders.  I also did a screen shot of the contents of that folder, although there are more if I scroll down.  I did not see a Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file:  http://liltheadesigns.com/images/Premiere%20Elements.jpg

I use Run As Admnistrator when I try to open PE8.

Thanks for helping me with this.

Lilthea

• 11. Re: How do I get Premiere Elements 8 to work?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Lilthea

On reflection, the absence of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file where I pointed to may be related to the fact that the program was never opened. If I recall, there are some items that do not appear until the program is opened for the first time or re-opened after a delete of a program file. So, let us post this search on hold.

a. If you have not already, try disabling the anti-virus and firewalls when you open Premiere Elements.

b. When you go to the Hosts file

Local Disc C\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

and find the Hosts file in the etc Folder, does it look like the this when you open Hosts file with Notepad

Notepad.JPG

c. Create an additional User Account with Administrative Privileges and try to open the program from there.

d. From what you wrote I am assuming that you purchased Premiere Elements 8 as an online download from Adobe and are obtaining your present installation files from there. If so, are you doing the download with the anti-virus and firewalls turned off.

Please review the above and then we can overview the issue as it stands.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: How do I get Premiere Elements 8 to work?
                                lilthea Level 1

Hello ATR,

I opened the Hosts file and it looked just like your .jpg.

I added a new user and with administrative privleges and tried to open PE8 with the firewall and anti-viral disabled. No luck.

Yes, I did buy PE8 as a download, but I did not disable my firewall or anti-virus when I downloaded it. 

Thanks,

Lilthea

• 13. Re: How do I get Premiere Elements 8 to work?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Lilthea

Have you been re-installing the program from the same download, or are you getting a new download from Adobe each time you do a re-install.. (assuming that you purvhased the download from Adobe originally)?

What do you think about another download with anti-virus and firewalls disabled and giving the uninstall/ccleaner run through/reinstall another try with the anti-virus and firewalls disabled during the install.

If your computer uses a router, check the firewall status there besides the computer Windows firewall.

Before you open Premiere Elements 8 for the first time after install/restart, download and install the 8.0.1 Update from Adobe and have that installed before you try to open Premiere Elements 8 for the first time.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4653

I will think about this some more.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 14. Re: How do I get Premiere Elements 8 to work?
                                    lilthea Level 1

I am no longer able to download Premiere Elements 8 from my products on the Adobe website.

• 15. Re: How do I get Premiere Elements 8 to work?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Lilthea

Have you tried right clicking the desktop icon for Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1, selecting Properties, followed by the Compatiblity Tab. In the Compatiblity Tab, set for "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)". See if that works for use the program full feature.

Another approach to the same end....

Do you have Windows 7 Professional 64 bit computer?

If so, do you have the Windows XP Mode installed with it? If so, then install Premiere Elements 8 from your present installation files in the Windows XP Mode (the virtual Windows XP SP3 32 bit) and let us see if that works. If you do not have the Windows XP Mode, then please check out

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

Please review and then let us know if any of the above works for you.

Thanks.

More later.

ATR

• 16. Re: How do I get Premiere Elements 8 to work?
                                        lilthea Level 1

I must have downloaded it too many times.  The link to download it is no longer there and, as I used ccleaner, the previous downloaded installation files are gone.

I will have to contact Adobe to see if they will allow me to download it again.

I have been avoiding purchasing the most recent version.  I am retired on a limited income and try to get along with the older software that I have rather than getting the lastest version of everything.  I still use Photoshop 6 and am quite happy with it.

Can you give me a good argument for buying Premiere Elements 12 (aside from the argument that, if I were being paid for the time I have spent on this, I could almost buy Premiere Pro, LOL).

Thank for your help,

Lilthea

• 17. Re: How do I get Premiere Elements 8 to work?
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Lilthea

See if you can get a clean download from Adobe for your Premiere Elements 8.

According to some, Premiere Elements 8 was the worst version. However, using the 8.0.1 version of it and with automatic Background Rendering and AutoAnalyzer features turned off, I would say that it can hold its own with other version in many respects.

You will typically get the argument that it is a 32 bit application even when run in 64 bit system and thus has the resource limitations of 32 bit. It is not until version 10, 11, and 12 that Premiere Elements becomes a 64 bit application when run specifically in Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit. That translates into the 64 bit resources (installed RAM greater than 4) becoming available to these versions. This does not typically mean the program works faster. But, it has been observed that the frequency of getting a large project taken to a successful finish is greater.

A lot goes to

a. if you are working with resource demanding format such as AVCHD

b. the size of your project

c. the features that you need in a video editor

At this point I would not rush into version 12. Depending on how things go with getting a clean download of 8 from Adobe, you could download and install the tryout 12 from Adobe and check it out. If you like it, shop around for the best price. But, do not purchase unless you try it out first. For me, version 12 (Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements 12) has been the worst to deal with from a troubleshooting point of view (installation especially), and I am working with Premiere Elements 4, 7, 8.0/8.0.1, 9.0/9.0.1, 10, 11, and 12.

We will be watching for further developments.

ATR

• 18. Re: How do I get Premiere Elements 8 to work?
                                            lilthea Level 1

I was finally able to download a copy of PE 8.0 and I opened the 8.1 update.   I tried the Compatiblity Tab, set for "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)", didn't work.  Then, as I did not have the Windows XP Mode on my computer, I followed your link and then followed the instructions.  My computer is configured with hardware assisted visualization. I downloaded and installed the Windows XP Mode.  When I tried to install the Windows Virtual PC, I got an error message that said "The update is not applicable to your computer."

I appreciate your information on version 12.    I am not working with HD at this time.  However, as I never thought I would be getting into video editing to begin with, and I then thought I wouldn't be doing the filming, I hesitate to say I won't ever be working with HD.  Right now the largest project I work with is editing a two hour performance that was filmed with either 2 or 3 cameras, setting it up in chapters with titles and a menu, and burning it to a DVD.  So far, I am quite contect with the features that PE 8.0 offers.  My only complaint has been that it it still crashes easily so I have to continually save my work after each edit.

I really appreciated the effort you have put in to help me get PE 8.0 to work on my computer.  I am not ready to give up yet.  However, I am wondering if maybe I should see if I can still buy the installation CD.  It isn't listed now on the website, but it was there before we started working on this.  At that time it was listed for $20.

Thanks for your help,

Lilthea

• 19. Re: How do I get Premiere Elements 8 to work?
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Lilthea

Thanks for the update.

Initially you wrote

I am using Windows 7 Professional with a 64-bit operating system, a 4 GHz processor and 16 gigs of RAM.

The Windows XP Mode (with its virtual Windows XP SP3 32 bit) should be supported by that Windows 7. That is what I have. We could troubleshoot this further. I have found that when the Properties/Compatibility Tab setting route does not help, the Windows XP does the job to allow for the installation of programs that are having troubles getting installed on the Windows 7 64 bit side.

But right now, you seem to have installed the program but are having issues with the stability of the program during the import/editing/export. In all that has been going on, just in case,

a. 8.0.1 Update in use

b. automatic background rendering and AutoAnalzyer features Off in Elements Organizer

c. no pile ups of preview, conformed audio, or conformed video

But, do factor in the format and size of your project. Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 is a 32 bit application even in Windows 7 64 bit. What is the duration of a typical project and what formats are you putting on the Timeline....video and audio compressions..?

At this time, I would leave the Properties/Compatibility Tab setting unchecked for the desktop icon for your Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 as you run the program on Windows 7 64 bit.

If you decide to purchase a boxed Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 to get the installation disc(s), just in case note, check for authorized reseller.

Please let me know if you need supplemental information on the above or need clarification.

Thanks.

ATR

• 20. Re: How do I get Premiere Elements 8 to work?
                                                lilthea Level 1

Hello,

I have PE 8 installed as best I can.  I did it from a fresh download that I made with my aniti-virus program and firewall off.  The firewall associated with the modem/router was set at minimum as I was not able to fully turn it off long enough to complete the download.  I did the update to 8.1

I turned off AutoAnalyzer but do not know how to turn of the automatic background rendering.  I try to open PE8 using run as administrator.  I still do not get past the welcome screen.  However, I am able to open Elements Organizer through the welcome screen.  (I should mention that I have always been able to do this.)

As to the duration of a typical project - anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours.  I typically get the media I work with from either a video camera card or a DVD.  I usually edit in pieces and save them as .avi   When I have all the pieces edited, I arrange them in correct order, add titles and menu markers.  The titles and menu markers are added to the first frame of each section unless I add a title page before each section.  I rarely add audio alone to my finished projects unless I want music behind the menu and scene pages or a credit scroll.  Then I usually add a .mp3 file.

You said: 

"The Windows XP Mode (with its virtual Windows XP SP3 32 bit) should be supported by that Windows 7. That is what I have. We could troubleshoot this further."

Yes, I think it would be a good idea to get my computer working in the Windows XP Mode.  That may allow me to use Premiere Elements 8.0/8.1. 

Thanks,

Lilthea

• 21. Re: How do I get Premiere Elements 8 to work?
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Lithea

What edition of Windows 7 do your have? Is it Windows 7 Professional SP2 64 bit. There are only certain editions for which this Windows XP Mode is usable.

ATR

• 22. Re: How do I get Premiere Elements 8 to work?
                                                    lilthea Level 1

I have Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.  If SP2 means service pack 2, I was told there was only service pack 1 for Windows 7 so far. 

I phoned the place where I purchased the computer and they said that they would load Windows Virtual PC so that I could use Windows XP Mode and also get PE8 running, but they would charge me $40 (plus tax, of course) to do it. 

I would rather not spend $40+ that I really don't have.  I appreciate your helping with this.

Lilthea

• 23. Re: How do I get Premiere Elements 8 to work?
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Lilthea

I goofed with my typing fingers. That should have been "Is it Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit?" Sorry about that. As you said, there is no SP2 to date for Windows 7 Professional.

Since we both have Windows 7 Professional SP2 64 bit, that Windows XP Mode should install. I did this about 2 or 3 years ago. Let me go digging through the closet for my notes on installing it.

It was a great help to me installing some older HP printers that would not install from the Windows 7 part of the computer. On the Elements side of things, it had an interesting perk from the Windows XP Mode. I still have not been able to open the Photoshop Elements 12 Full Editor on this desktop Windows 7 64 bit. Elements Organizer 12 opens fine, not the Full Editor. "Nothing" will open it, not even if I experiment with the Compatiblity Mode tab in the program's desktop icon Properities - including sets to Windows XP SP3 32 bit. A new User Account with Administrative Privileges in Windows 7 64 bit will not do it either and much more.

To my amazement, Photoshop Elements 12 opened Full Editor and Elements Organizer 12 in the Windows XP Mode side (virtual Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit) of the Windows 7 64 bit. computer.

There is no guarantee that your Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 will open in the Windows XP Mode, but there is hope.

I will check my notes to see if there are any tips I left myself for the install other than what is shown online already.

More later.

ATR

• 24. Re: How do I get Premiere Elements 8 to work?
                                                        lilthea Level 1

I have given up on trying to get Adobe Premiere Elements 8 to work.  I have also given up on trying to get Virtual PC and Windows XP to install on my computer.  I really don't want to pay to have someone do it for me, although the folks where I bought my computer would be delighted to have my $40 to install them.  If I have to pay $40 to get an old version of a video editing program that I own to work, I might as well bite the bullet and get a more updated software.  You don't really recommend 12, but what do you recommend and how much will I have to pay for it?

Thank you for your help.

• 25. Re: How do I get Premiere Elements 8 to work?
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

lilthea

Whatever you do, look at the tryout first. Premiere Elements 11 and 12 are much alike. But, Adobe is offering only the latest version 12 for tryout. If you like the tryout program, then you can purchase the product as download files from Adobe or uninstall that after the 30 days and purchase a boxed packaging or download from an authorized reseller. Whatever works for you. Another scenario is to leave the tryout installed and before it expires insert your purchased serial number in it (whether purchase is from Adobe or an authorized reseller).

Both 11 and 12 work fine. My problem with 12 is apprehension at install/uninstall/reinstall. Bad news most of the time.

Premiere Elements 11 would be my first choice. But, no tryout at this late date unless you use the tryout files from a web site such as

http://prodesigntools.com/photoshop-elements-11-direct-download-links-pse-premiere-pre.htm l

In the latter scenario, apparently this web site gives you access to the tryout but does not sell the product. You would have to find an authorized reseller who is still selling the product.

The Windows XP approach is ify since Microsoft will be stopping its support for Windows XP as of April 2014. Apparently you can continue to use XP and the Windows XP Mode, but security issues would exist.

Please check out the above and let us know what is happening.

Sorry the news was not better, but let us see if we can turn things around one way or the other.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                                                          • 26. Re: How do I get Premiere Elements 8 to work?
                                                            lilthea Level 1

Thank you for your suggestions.  I will check out 11 and probably 12 as well.  I will post here when I have decided which way to go.

I appreciate all your help.