1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 8, 2014 9:38 AM by cc_merchant

HDD setup - Internal RAID, External RAID or single discs

footcandlefilms

I know variations on this question have been done to death on this forum, but I'm still struggling to understand how to apply it to my specific requirements and hardware.

I am looking to optimise the performance/speed of my Hackintosh for video editing on Premiere and grading on Resolve Lite, Colorista and AE.

I work mainly with Pro-Res files, sometimes with AVCHD, and occasionally with raw.

My Hackintosh specs are as follows:

PartComponent
      Processor4th Generation Haswell Core i7-4770 - Quad Core 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo Boost)
      MotherboardGIGABYTE 8 Series GA-Z87N-WIFI
      Memory16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical 1600MHz
      Primary GraphicsZotac Nvidia GTX 770 - 2GB Video Memory, 1059MHz Core Clock, 7010MHz Memory Clock
      Secondary GraphicsIntel HD 4600 Graphics
      Maximum Video Resolution

2560x1600

Hard Drive  240GB CRUCIAL SSD 32MB Cache (OS and Programs)
      Hard Drive1TB TOSHIBA SATA III 7200RPM 32MB Cache
      Network CardIntegrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
      WifiAtheros AR9287 802.11BGN 300Mbps
      SoundHigh Definition 7.1 Channel Audio
      Power SupplyCorsair CX600M 600w Modular PSU, 80 PLUS Bronze
      ChassisBitfenix Prodidgy
      External Ports1 x PS/2 Keyboard/Mouse Port
      3 x HDMI Ports
      3 x DVI Ports
      1 x Display Port
      2 x Antenna Connectors
      6 x USB 3.0/2.0 Ports
      2 x USB 2.0/1.1 Ports
      2 x Ethernet Ports
      1 x Optical S/PDIF Out Connector
      5 x Audio Jacks
      Operating SystemOS X Mavericks

I have also purchased a USB3 Lacie 4Big Quadra 8TB external RAID.

I currently run the OS and programs from the SSD, and have partitioned the 1TB SATA III HDD, using one partition for scratch and the other for projects, media and exports.

My question is, what would be my best solution for optimising performance?

1. Buying a couple more HDDs, installing them internally and striping along with the existing disc as a 3-disc RAID 0, using the Lacie as backup/storage only?

2. Buying a couple more HDDs, installing them internally as single discs (SSD for OS & Apps; HDD1 for Scratch; HDD2 for Media and Projects; HDD3 for Exports), again using the Lacie for backup/storage only.

3. Using the Lacie as an external 4-disc RAID 0, and the existing internal HDD as storage. Buying further HDD(s) for backup.

Also, if RAID is the answer, what is the best configuration in terms of which disc(s) to point Premiere to? i.e does Premiere treat the RAID as a single disc for i/o purposes, creating a bottleneck with high bandwidths, or does it act as it would if different file types were pointed at separate individual discs?

Many thanks in advance for helping the IT dunce!