5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2014 9:05 AM by yhummo

(PC) After Effects CS6 Consistent Crash on Launch of Program.

yhummo

Hello and thank you in advance,

Having read through many discussions ranging from the same to somewhat similar problem within After Effects CS6, I am posing my own question in anticipation of some helpful advice or possible solutions. Listed below are all the technical details regarding my computer and it's problemtatic messages.

I regularly use AE and have never received such warnings.

I have checked and verified that the files noted in the error messages are in the containing folders.

I have since updated all pertinent software to no avail.

Error messages upon attempted launch:

1: After Effects error: Crash in progress. Last logged message was: <1540><AppDirs> <5> Required Dir= C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS6\Support Files\Required

2: After Effects can't continue: sorry, After Effects has crashed. For After Effects Help and Support, go to http://www.adobe.com/go/learn_ae_support. If you still can't resolve the issue, please contact Adobe Technical Support (2).

(0::42)

CPU:

Windows 7 Professional (Service Pack 1) - 64-bit OS

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.2 GHz

4GB Ram

Quictime Version:

Quicktime 7.7.4(1680.86)

Error window via AE has stopped working:

After Effects CS6 Version 11.0.2

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:          APPCRASH

Application Name:          AfterFX.exe

Application Version:          11.0.2.12

Application Timestamp:          505998cf

Fault Module Name:          CoolType.dll

Fault Module Version:          5.10.31.19553

Fault Module Timestamp:          4f3a0874

Exception Code:          c0000005

Exception Offset:          000000000006fa62

OS Version:          6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID:          1033

Additional Information 1:          c59b

Additional Information 2:          c59ba05d1204182a30aa7dcc16266179

Additional Information 3:          9eb2

Additional Information 4:          9eb2e62ba6bd499c16c6704601f32413

Error Window via Event Viewer:

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Application Error

Date:          1/8/2014 3:02:53 PM

Event ID:      1000

Task Category: (100)

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      ---

Description:

Faulting application name: AfterFX.exe, version: 11.0.2.12, time stamp: 0x505998cf

Faulting module name: CoolType.dll, version: 5.10.31.19553, time stamp: 0x4f3a0874

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000000000006fa62

Faulting process id: 0xe1c

Faulting application start time: 0x01cf0cac3a696158

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS6\Support Files\AfterFX.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS6\Support Files\CoolType.dll

Report Id: db84929c-789f-11e3-8500-b4b52fdf439c

• 1. Re: (PC) After Effects CS6 Consistent Crash on Launch of Program.
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

I see that you only have 4 GB RAM.  That's a problem.  Get much more.  16GB total is good for a start.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: (PC) After Effects CS6 Consistent Crash on Launch of Program.
            yhummo Level 1

Hello Mr. LaRonde,

Thank you for your helpful suggestion. I have no doubt that a more sufficient amount of RAM would help out the speediness and aggrevation of my time with After Effects on this particular system (Actually have 32GB in my home office for plenty of video needs). I will be requesting to have this updated relatively soon.

That stated, the 4GB is the minimum system requirement as stated in the Adobe AE CS6 system requirements. And coupled with the fact that the program was running and rendering very large files recently without problem, I tend to point this erroneous instance as being that of another source.

Thank you again for your helpful advice.

• 3. Re: (PC) After Effects CS6 Consistent Crash on Launch of Program.
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

First, install the latest bug-fix updates. You're two behind.

http://adobe.ly/AE_CS6_1104

• 4. Re: (PC) After Effects CS6 Consistent Crash on Launch of Program.
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Crashes in CoolType.DLL point to font issues on your system, regardless of what the others said. You may simply need to weed out your fonts, especially remove any "bad" freeware fonts that you may have recently added.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: (PC) After Effects CS6 Consistent Crash on Launch of Program.
                  yhummo Level 1

I have edited my reply to easier highlight my particular Windows 7 solution.

As Mylenium points out, the fault message implicating CoolType.dll points to a font related issue.

Attmepted but unsucessful solutions are as follows (in no particular order):

• Deleting AE preferences files.
                  • Updating AE, Adobe, General Computer software.
                  • Running a Command Prompt allowing (windows) System File Checker to determine if any system files were invalid and in need of repair.
                  • Sorting through fonts and deactivating non-system essentials.
                  • Uninstalling and Reinstalling After Effects.
                  • Reverting to a previous OS/application build via System Restore.

Correct Solution in my instance:

Navigating to TypeSupport folder via the following path: C:\\ (username) \ AppData \ Local \ Adobe \ TypeSupport

Upon deleting said folder and restarting After Effects - Voila! Success! Lift Off!

After Effects will automatically re-establish a new TypeSupport folder upon launch.

Hope this might help other user.

Thanks again for eveyones advice and helpful solutions.

Message was edited by: yhummo