8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2014 9:45 AM by zBernie

What are project management best practices?

zBernie

I created a test project in Premiere Elements 12, and saved it in a directory named "Michaels Posters".   Then I archived the project to this directory and it created a "Copied_My\ new\ video\ project1" directory with all of the media files.  Then I added a video clip to the project, archived it again, and it created the "Copied_My\ new\ video\ project1_001" folder below.

My first real project will be a video highlights video of my 4 years old for 2013.  This will involve editing the same project several nights a week, for maybe a couple of months.  This would result in numerous "Copied_My\ new\ video\ project1_NNN" directories being created, assuming I archive the project each night.

So what is the best practices for managing a larger project like this, and avoid using a lot of disk space for the same project?

Michaels\ Posters/

├── Adobe\ Premiere\ Elements\ Preview\ Files

│   └── My\ new\ video\ project1.PRV

├── Copied_My\ new\ video\ project1

│   ├── Adobe\ Premiere\ Elements\ Preview\ Files

│   ├── Encoded\ Files

│   └── Layouts

├── Copied_My\ new\ video\ project1_001

│   └── Adobe\ Premiere\ Elements\ Preview\ Files

├── Encoded\ Files

│   └── My\ new\ video\ project1.prel

├── Layouts

└── Media\ Cache\ Files

• 1. Re: What are project management best practices?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Why are you continually archiving your project and making new copies of all of your media?

Why not just work from the same project file?

• 2. Re: What are project management best practices?
            zBernie Level 1

Because the project resides on an external disk, and is accessed from my iMac and Macbook.  So the media files are available to both.

• 3. Re: What are project management best practices?

So why not just work from the project file and media on your external drive? No need to work on it on your main hard drive and then archive it to pass it between computers.

• 4. Re: What are project management best practices?
                zBernie Level 1

Yes, that's exactly what I want to do -- Have all of my project resources on the external drive, which can be opened from two different computers.

From my limited experience, if I'm editing a project on my Macbook, then add a video clip, then save the project to the external drive, that video clip is not on the external drive.  I have to then archive the project, which places the newly added clip on the external drive.  Then when I open the same project from my iMac, the new clip is available.

Unless I'm mistaken, just saving a project to an external drive does not save all of the resources there, which is what archiving accomplishes.

But I am a noob!

• 5. Re: What are project management best practices?

Well, you can put your media files on your external drive before you import it into your project, and then your media files and your project file will both be there.

• 6. Re: What are project management best practices?
                    zBernie Level 1

The media files are on the external drive where the project resides, but in a different directories scattered throughout the drive.  I have all my media files organized by year then event like shown below, with videos I want to include throughout.  So when I create a project, I want the video files stored with the project.  What if I renamed a directory?  Then PrE would not be able to find it.  The archiving utility does this for me, and copies all the related media files to one location.  It's just that it does it repeatedly everytime I archive the project.

-Thanks

├── 2nd Floor Bathroom_Renovation

├── Aryns Helping Hands Benefit

├── Bills 48th Birthday

├── Christmas

• 7. Re: What are project management best practices?

I guess if this system works for you, there's no harm in it -- other than it takes extra time and duplicates a lot of files.

If you've already archived the project to this external drive once, why not just work on this archived project file? When you archived it, all of the accompanying media files were put in the same directory on your external, so everything is in one nice, neat place.

Then you shouldn't need to re-archive it again. It's all right there.

• 8. Re: What are project management best practices?
                        zBernie Level 1

I do work with the LAST archived project file, which contains ALL necessary resources to edit the video.  But then if I add video clips to the project, these newly added clips are NOT in the archived project, so I archive it again.

The more I think about it, the more I like this workflow.  One disadvantage as you said is duplicate videos and resource files.  But a couple of advantages I like are:

1. You can revert to a previous version if there are any issues with a newer version, e.g., project corruption.

2. You can open the archived project ANYWHERE, and all video and resource files are available.

In terms of a larger project containing dozens of individual clips like my upcoming 2013 video highlights video of my 4  year old, I'll delete older archived projects as I go, and save maybe a couple of previous archived projects, in case I want to revert to these projects.

If you are familiar with the lack of project management iMovie, then you will know why I am elated to be using Premiere Elements 12, and being able to manage projects at all!

Thanks again for your help, I'm looking forward to starting my next video project.