11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2014 3:53 PM by Littlefelt

Premiere Elements 12 Running Slow

Littlefelt

Hi,

I recently purchased this program and installed it on my MacBook Pro 13.3" Late 2013, 2.4 GHz Dual Core i5 Processor, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM, Intel Iris 1024 MB Video Card, 256 GB Sold State Drive, and I have the external USB SuperDrive for DVD burning.  The MAC is currently running OS X Mavericks 10.9.1.  I installed Premiere Elements 12 on the DVD drive and used the original disc from the box.  The program runs extremely slow and it is driving me crazy.  Scrolling, video rendering (VERY SLOW), moving the cursor within the software, and dragging clips around is very lagged.

I had Premiere Elements 9 on a Windows XP Dual Core Pentium 4 Processor computer with 2GB RAM and it ran WAY faster.  I have been trying different display settings on my current MacBook, and even when it's the only program open it is still slow. Is there anything that I can do to make it run faster?

I use Adobe Lightroom 5 on this computer, and it runs very quickly, so I am sure that other Adobe software works well on this machine.  Thanks!

-Brian

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Running Slow
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Your system may be a bit underpowered for running Premiere Elements 12. But a lot depends on what type of video you're editing and how your project is set up.

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

What are your Project Settings, as listed under the Edit menu? If your project settings are properly set for your video you will NOT see a yellow line above your clips, along the top of your timeline, in Expert view. Is this the case in your project?

BTW, is your installation from an installation disc, a download from Adobe or by download from the App Store?  A number of issues have been reported with the App Store version of the program and there are reports that Apple has pulled it.

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Running Slow
            Littlefelt Level 1

Steve,

According to the minimum requirements of this software, my system is more than capable to handle it.  I am using the MacBook Pro on it and not the old Windows XP Computer.  I was simply making a comparison between the two.  The specs for my MacBook Pro are as follows:

MacBook Pro 13.3" Late 2013

2.4 GHz Dual Core i5 (4th Generation Haswell) Processor, Turbo Boost to 2.9 GHz

8 GB DDR3 RAM

Intel Iris 1024 MB Video Card

256 GB Solid State Drive

USB SuperDrive

I noted above that I installed the software using the DVD that came with the software box. It is installed on my MacBook Pro.

On the top of the timeline I do not see yellow lines, but I do see thin yellow lines crossing through the video and audio files in 'Expert Mode'.

Screen Shot 2014-01-09 at 11.41.49 AM.png

Here are my project settings:

Screen Shot 2014-01-09 at 11.39.52 AM.png

I uploaded the video from an old camcorder into a HDV format a few years ago.  It was a Sony 3 CMOS LCD video camcorder. The camera tapes have worn out and I am trying to make lots of DVDs of these videos to keep a hard copy of them.

Thank you for your help!

-Brian

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Running Slow
              the_wine_snob Level 9

In your first screen-cap, there is an orange line above the Clips. See this Image:

Screen_Shot_02.png

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Running Slow
                Littlefelt Level 1

So is that orange line a bad thing?  If so, how can I fix that?

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Running Slow
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

That orange line indicates that for the smoothest possible playback, one will need to Render the Timeline, by hitting the Enter/Return key.

Initially, when the Clips are dragged to the Timeline, if it appears, it indicates a mis-match between the Project, and the Video Clips.

If one adds an Effect, any form of overlay, like a Title, or a PiP, it will appear, indicating that for smoothest playback, the Timeline needs to be Rendered.

Did your line appear, when the Clips were first dragged to the Timeline?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Running Slow

It is also, as I said above, an indication that the project has not been properly set up to match your video.

But without knowing the model of camcorder your video came from and its format and resolution, it's difficult to be specific.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Running Slow
                      Littlefelt Level 1

Bill,

Yes, they first appeared when I added them to the timeline. 

I have tried video files downloaded from the internet as well, and they have the same orange line on top with the incredibly slow performance. I think I am going to get a refund and try out the Premiere Pro CC.  That is what a friend of mine uses and he has the same MacBook as I do.  He is able to navigate the software just fine.  This sounds too hard to solve to speed up the current version of Premiere Elements 12, so I will try this other route. 

Thank you for your help.

-Brian

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Running Slow
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Littlefelt,

As Steve points out in Reply # 6, there is a mis-match between the Clips and the Project.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Running Slow
                          ti_sage

I am also experiencing an near-continuous "spinning beachball of doom" running Premiere Elements on a similarly spec'ed Mac. I have the the thin orange line and have hit the Render button to try and resolve it. Tomorow, when it's hopefuly done rendering, I'll let you know..!

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Running Slow

If rendering your timeline is taking more than a few seconds, something is seriously wrong.

I beginning to wonder if there is something in Mavericks that's bugging up the program. The way the Retina display causes so many problems.

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Running Slow
                              Littlefelt Level 1

Rendering mine took nearly 4 hours, so it might be since the program looks very pixelated on the Retina display.  I have purchased a subscription for Adobe Premiere Pro CC and it is working flawlessly on my Mac.