4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2014 4:06 PM by susanmackinnon

Problems creating a book

susanmackinnon

I am trying to revise in In Design a 343 page book with lots of photos that I created in 2008 using Pagemaker which I pretty much learned by trial and error. I am not a graphic designer.

I have spent hours perusing 3 InDesign books and am taking an online class on InDesign and still am having major difficulties.

I have so far converted the chapters to InDesign and done my revisions.Now I need to convert the 64 chapters into a book. Using the book panel, I got all the chapters listed, attempted pagination, and the chapters still show up as individual documents with a certain number of pages, not the real page numbers. When I open an individual document the pagination is correct (I think). 1) How can I view the book in InDesign as a book and not individual chapters to make sure pagination and format are correct; it will also be easier to proofread as a book; 2) how can I change a right hand page to be a left hand page within the book (they have a different format, and I don't just want to add a blank page; some of the chapters were created beginning on an odd page, yet in the book they need to be on an even page; 3) the first 12 pages are intro pages, ist 3 with no pagination, 4-12 numbered iv-xii; Ch 1 then starts on page 1. I did not understand how to paginate sections so I numbered iv-xii manually and then started the "real"pagination at chapter 1. Does that work too? Or should I do the section numbering and if so how?  4) The book has a lot of photos. The original edition I exported the PMD chapters to PDF and then combined the PDF chapters as one PDF book which was then printed and looked reasonably good. Or should I be sending the book to the printer as an INDesign book?  Is the print quality different or better using an InDesign format as opposed to a PDF?  For the PDF, I didn't need to send the photo links to the printer; will I need to do this if I send it to the printer as an InDesign book. 5) Just as an experiment I tried the Preflight Panel, and got a humungous number of errors of overset text which would take hours to fix.  Why would that be?

I haven't started with the Index and TOC but need to get the pagination done first.

Thanks for any help.

Susan M

• 1. Re: Problems creating a book
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Do you mean that the page numbers in chapter two start where chapter 1 leaves off when you open chapter two, but not when you look at the numbering in the book panel? Have you updated numbering from the book panel? The book panel only shows the names of the component files and the page numbering assigned, there is no way to view all of the chapters in layout as one contiuous thread.

Pages will be left or right depending on the number. If you have master pages with objects that are overridden, be very careful about doing anything that will cause a page to swap sides. All of the overridden obejects will remain, and new master objects will be added behind them.

To start logical page 1 on a page that is not the first physical page in the book, open the file that contains the page and select it in the pages panel. From the panel menu or right-click menu choose Numbering and Section Options, and select the option to start a new section, and assign the page number 1. You may see an error message about duplicate numbers which can be cleared by goin to the same dialog from the first page inthe document and changing the numbering style (typically you would change the numbers for front matter to small roman numerals) The same current page number marker on a master page can then be used for automatic numbering in both sections.

You can export the entire Book, when you are ready, as a single PDF for the printer.

Overset text may simply be an effect of differences in tracking between PM and ID that show up in conversion. Pagemaker conversions can be anything from near perfect to completely useless, and oversets would not be uncommon. Whatever the cause, you do need to deal with them.

• 2. Re: Problems creating a book
            susanmackinnon Level 1

Thanks. I got it.

Is there a reason to submit a book to a commercial printer as an InDesign

Document as opposed to a single PDF?

And one more issue: my odd pages have a rectangular gray box in the upper

right corner (with a heading) that goes out to the margin of the 7x10 page.

When I print the page on my printer part of the box is missing.

Does that have to do with "bleed" or "slug?" Or should I adjust the page

size?

Thanks.

Susan

• 3. Re: Problems creating a book
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You should be submitting PDF if possible (and most printers prefer that since you make the PDF, so if it isn't right they get to blame you instead of you blaming them).

If you have objects that extend all the way to the edge of your page you need to add a bleed allowance in the page setup (clcik the more options button if the bleed fields aren't showing) and extend those objects past the page edge to the bleed line. Include the bleed area when you make the PDF. Keep any important information inside the page edge at least as much as the bleed allowance though, or it may be cut off. Most desktop printers are not capable of printing to the edge of the page, so they cut off typically about 1/4 inch all around from the page image. This is normal and does not aafect the press output.

• 4. Re: Problems creating a book
                susanmackinnon Level 1

Thanks again.

Susan