15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2014 7:49 PM by Todd_Kopriva Branched to a new discussion.

After Effects limited to 32 cores?

Chris Tomberlin

I'm running Windows Professional 7 on a new machine with 2x 10-core E5v2 processors. There's a total of 20 actual cores and 40 virtual cores. After Effects CC (latest build) is only registering 32 of those cores even though Cinebench and the Windows Task Manager are seeing all 40. See the attached screenshot. Has anyone else seen this issue?AfterEffecs-CoreUsage.jpg

• 1. Re: After Effects limited to 32 cores?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You will never be able to use that many cores with AE, anyway, be it specific effects chugging along on just 1 core or that annoying thing of MP rendering requiring enough RAM per background instance, too. No offense, but you are worrying about something that couldn't be less relevant. Yeah, sure, no doubt this limit exists for soem reason in some of the underlying code, but it's really a case of "I wish I had this guy's luxury problems..."

Mylenium

• 2. Re: After Effects limited to 32 cores?
            Chris Tomberlin Level 1

I really don't want this to devolve in some kind of irrelevant argument, but I would like to point out a couple of things. I can, in fact, max out the 32 cores that AE DOES see with certain rendering tasks; rendering C4D comps through AE for instance. I also have enough ram per background instance to utilize more than 32 cores. I would submit that most AE users would like AE to maximize their system resources when possible regardless of whether they have the "luxury" of 40 cores or more, or whether they are using a mac mini.

I would theorize that until these new E5v2 chips from Intel, a single processor had a typical max of 8 cores. Two of them would provide 32 virtual cores. Perhaps the code for AE simply needs to be updated for the new chips.

As for my 40 cores...a Ferrari owner doesn't usually drive around at top speeds, but sometimes he might want to. I think you're just jealous. ;-)

-Chris

• 3. Re: After Effects limited to 32 cores?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

There is no hard-coded limit of 32. After Effects is asking the BIOS how many cores are available, and that is the number that is being returned.

BTW, the number that you have highlighted has a much narrower meaning than you may realize. This is just for Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing and has nothing to do with, say, multithreading of effects and encoding.

• 4. Re: After Effects limited to 32 cores?
                Chris Tomberlin Level 1

Todd,

Thanks, this is helpful information. I understand what you're saying about the "Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously" multiprocessing; but I've seen in practice that AE is not using all the cores when rendering multithreaded effects and encoding. For example, CPU useage does not go any higher than 80%, which with 40 cores corresponds to only 32.

At any rate, If you're suggesting that the BIOS is returning an incorrect core count, why would Cinebench and the Windows OS report all 40 cores? FWIW, the current version of Geekbench is not using all 40 cores either - only 32, so I could certainly accept this is not an AE issue. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of it and appreciate your help.

Thanks

Chris

• 5. Re: After Effects limited to 32 cores?
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I'm curious about that, too. It'll be a while before I can get to our machine that has this many cores to try some things out.

• 6. Re: After Effects limited to 32 cores?
                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Some cores may be tied up with OS operations or other tasks. The report may be correct.

One more thing about After Effects fully utilizing system resources. AE is a frame by frame rendering machine which means that it takes the data from all of the layers in a single frame of a project and starts making calculations. The ram and resources required to do this depend on the size of the frame and the coding of the calculations. Many effects are not optimized to look for all available resources, but even if they were a 12 core machine with a bunch of ram has way more calculating capacity than all of the data from 100 layers of HD source material and the effects processing so it's highly unlikely that the full system resources would be used to make the calculations.

3D apps and render engines they use rely on much more complex calculations of the paths of light rays, reflection, refraction and every other thing a light ray does as it interacts with a material. These calculations can easily cascade into a demand for all available resources. It's a totally different way of calculating pixel values. Until AE's basic architecture is re-engineered there's no way that a HD or even 4K frame size will use up 40 virtual cores and 64GB of ram.

• 7. Re: After Effects limited to 32 cores?
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I think that I may have found a function call that is incorrectly limiting After Effects to 32 cores. This may be a bug. Stay tuned...

• 8. Re: After Effects limited to 32 cores?
                        Chris Tomberlin Level 1

Thanks for looking into this so quickly!

-Chris

• 9. Re: After Effects limited to 32 cores?
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

A ha!

Yep. There's a bug. In the code where we're querying for the number of processors, the wrong data type is being used. After Effects is using the number of slots set to 1 in a bit-field (a vector) to determine the number of cores. But the vector is being truncated at 32.

This bug only exists on Windows.

It's a simple fix, and the code has already been changed on our end. Now we just have to test it and wrap it up into a release. Given our current release cycle, don't expect the fix to be released publicly until a few months from now. This fix doesn't quite rise to the level of urgent patch-worthy fix that needs to come out in a few weeks.

• 10. Re: After Effects limited to 32 cores?
                            Chris Tomberlin Level 1

This is really astounding in terms of service and support. Within just over 8 hours, you've identified and CORRECTED the bug. I've been doing this a long time and worked with all kinds of software (From Apple and Avid to everything else) and often their developers. An 8-hour turnaround on a bug fix has to be a record. Well done!

Another reason the bug only exists in Windows ---- there are no Macs (and won't be anytime soon) with more than 32 cores.  ;-)

Unless you'd like to send me a "special" version of the update to "test out", I'll look for the fix in the next release. Thanks again for resolving this so quickly.

• 11. Re: After Effects limited to 32 cores?
                              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Thanks for alerting us to the problem.

• 12. Re: After Effects limited to 32 cores?
                                Chris Tomberlin Level 1

Todd,

I know this wasn't high on the priority list, especially since AE is not very good at fully utilizing multiple cores anyway, but it's been a few months and AE has gone through a couple of updates and I don't see this fix showing up yet. Is it still in the pipeline?

Bigger picture question - is work still being done to make AE better utilize system resources (particularly multiple cores) ?? I've actually seen better results using Media Encoder to render AE projects than using AE itself. Does ME use a different engine or process?

Thanks

• 13. Re: After Effects limited to 32 cores?
                                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> AE has gone through a couple of updates

No, it hasn't.

There has been only one bug-fix update released since we had this conversation, and that update was already almost done and in the testing pipeline by then.

This fix is in the next update to come out.

• 14. Re: After Effects limited to 32 cores?
                                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> is work still being done to make AE better utilize system resources (particularly multiple cores)

Yes.

See this:

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2014/01/happy-new-year-and-a-question.html

• 15. Re: After Effects limited to 32 cores?
                                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Check the behavior in the version that we just released:

http://bit.ly/AE_CC_next_details