10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2014 9:06 AM by katshort

resizing dpi

katshort

how do I change from 72 to 300 dpi in indesign?

• 1. Re: resizing dpi
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Image resampling has to be done in an image editor like Photoshop. However, if you're starting with an image at 72 ppi and trying to go to 300 ppi, it will look just awful!

• 2. Re: resizing dpi
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You scale the image down and use it at a smaller size (about 24%) on the page.

• 3. Re: resizing dpi
              katshort Level 1

I know, therein lies our problem.  This issue is new to us.  If I am working in indesign I assume I have to begin with 300 but where do I set that up?

• 4. Re: resizing dpi
                Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

katshort wrote:

I know, therein lies our problem.  This issue is new to us.  If I am working in indesign I assume I have to begin with 300 but where do I set that up?

Why do you assume 300?

Have you talked with your printers?

• 5. Re: resizing dpi
                  katshort Level 1

The problem is we are sending out ads created in indesign  that are blurry when used in the publication.  We were told from that end to change to 300 and we somehow found the default is 72 but cant remember where so cant figure out how to make the change to 300

• 6. Re: resizing dpi
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The resolution value you save at is meaningless by itself. The same pixels can be saved at any resolution at all without resampling, but you change the "physical" dimensions (so called 100% size) in inverse proportion to any change inthe resolution value. If the images are pixelated iin ID you don't have enough pixels to print at that size, period. No amount of resampling is going to fix that. You need to recapture the image with more pixels in the capture (or find another copy that was not downsampled for use on the web or whatever). If you check the link info you'll see two resolution values listed, Actual PPI (Waht is set in Photoshop at 100%) and Effective PPI (resolution of the image the size you've used it on the page). The latter is the only one that matters.

The other cause of pixelation in images in print is links that are missing or need to be updated.

• 7. Re: resizing dpi
                      Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can check the image resolution in the layout by selecting the image and going to Window>Info

and look at the effective PPI. That will tell you the PPI of the image when it's scaled.

If it's 300 or above you're good to go.

If it's below that then you'll need to talk to your printers.

If it's 72 ppi in the layout at effective ppi - then you're in trouble and need to source higher resolution images.

Going back to "you're good to go" - if it's the case the effective PPI is fine

You can toggle the PPI of images on output to PDF in the File>Export>Pdf (Print) dialog box under Compression.

• 8. Re: resizing dpi
                        John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

An InDesign layout has no single resolution, but rather, InDesign propagates (to output) the effective resolution, (original ppi factored by scaling), of each raster element independently. If you need InDesign ouput at 300ppi, (chances are you don't...as mentioned, your printer can advise a true minimum resolution), your raster elements must be of sufficent resolution when placed in the layout. Your images can't be resampled (up or down) in InDesign. And even when done using appropriate software, upsampling does not increase quality, and will not make your images look better.

You refer to the bearers of this problem as "we". Is there anyone among you who understands image resolution?

• 9. Re: resizing dpi
                          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If I am working in indesign I assume I have to begin with 300 but where do I set that up?

It's the image's pixel dimensions that determine the output resolution (Effective Res shows the output ppi in the info panel). So if the image has a pixel res of 900x900 and is scaled to 3"x3" on the page its res is 300ppi. If it is scaled to 10"x10" it res is 90ppi.

• 10. Re: resizing dpi
                            katshort Level 1

Sadly, I am the most knowledgeable in indesign.  I am not a graphic artist/designer and have gleaned much of my knowledge through webinars and trial and error although having said that I did take a couple of courses years ago.  Adobe is so vast there is much to learn. Thank you to everyone for all their help, it really did help.