7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2014 12:46 PM by Peter Spier

Cannot open an indesign file

Snowflake

Hello,

I am a research staff at the University. Adobe Creative Suite 6 is provided by the Universty for Faculty, staff and students. I downloaded the software. I have an indesign file but my computer is not recognisign this file. Please help.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Cannot open an indesign file
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What happens when you try?

• 2. Re: Cannot open an indesign file
            Snowflake Level 1

Thanks.

Our University offered the software in four separate downloads namely, CS6DesignandWebPremium64bit.part1.exe; CS6DesignandWebPremium64bit.part2.rar; CS6DesignandWebPremium64bit.part3.rar; CS6DesignandWebPremium64bit.part4.rar

I downloaded these files on a new folder on my desktop.

Now to answer your question, when I double click the .indd file, a window pops up with the message "How do you want to open this type of file (.indd)? Look for an app in the store   More options"

I have a windows 8 laptop and I clicked on "more options".

Although I saw several options, none were adobe creative suite 6.

So then I clicked on "look for another application on this PC?"

A window opened up and I was able to browse to the folder where I had saved the downloaded file.

I had 2 options:

(a) Application file with the name "CS6DesignandWebPremium64bit.part1.exe" and (b) a File folder with the name "CS6DesignandWebPremium64bit". I clicked on this second folder which opened up 2 additional folders named "Build" and "Exceptions" AND a third file named "CS6DesignandWebPremium64bit.aamee

At that point I was not sure what else to do since I was clueless what these files or folders were.

Regards

Debalina

• 3. Re: Cannot open an indesign file
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Doesn't sound like you ran the installer after downloading. Run the .exe file, then you may need to run another setup file from the extracted folder.

• 4. Re: Cannot open an indesign file
                Snowflake Level 1

I did run the installer file after the download, the .exe file

What other setup file should I run?

• 5. Re: Cannot open an indesign file

Do you see a file named Setup.exe in one of the extracted folders?

• 6. Re: Cannot open an indesign file
                    Snowflake Level 1

No I don't see any setup.exe file.

• 7. Re: Cannot open an indesign file

My recollection is the original part1 .exe file should have extracted some folders, probably called Creative Suite (or similar) among other things. There should be a setup.exe file in that folder, but maybe I'm misremembering. Are there any instructions included with the downloads? A Readme file?

If not, you should be asking the IT folks at the uninversiioty for some help.