5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2014 7:28 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 12 Files Won't Open Correctly in Windows 8 (64 bit)

gelijojapa

I haven't found a good format yet that will opening correctly in Windows 8. Some open with video only, others open with audio only, one opens video and audio but the image is elongated.  Nearly all of the file formats I tried that wouldn't open in Windows 8 were fine on a Vista PC

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Files Won't Open Correctly in Windows 8 (64 bit)
          A.T. Romano Level 7

gelijojapa

Please give the specific properties of the source media that you are trying to import into Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8 64 bit. I have Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8.1, previously 8, 64 bit and am not having the same type of issue that you present.

For your source video, what is

Video Compression

Audio Compression

Frame Size

Frame Rate

Interlace or Progressive

File extension

Pixel Aspect Ratio

What is the camera that these videos are coming from -  brand/model/settings for recording?

The project preset should match the properties of the source media. In Premiere Elements 12, the program takes over the job of doing the setting of the project preset. Sometimes it does it right. Sometimes not. When not, then you set the project preset manually based on what you know are the properties of your source media. So, it is important to know the properties of the source media to set up the project correctly.

There are certain video compression that are not compatible with Premiere Elements (any version), others incompatible on some computers but not others. So back to need for properties for your source videos to sort out what we are dealing with.

Please put together the information requested, and we will work with you to get the importing, editing, and exporting of the program that you want (if possible).

Looking forward to your follow up. Anything you do not understand in the above, just ask and we will clarify.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Files Won't Open Correctly in Windows 8 (64 bit)
            gelijojapa Level 1

OK,

I just used the import from Webcam feature on PE 12. It was imported as an

AVI,

image size 720x480

Frame Rate 30.19

Interleave 1:14.75

I exported it as an MPEG,  720p  29.7 High Quality.

When I go to play the file on my PC, there's no video. I uploaded the same

file to Youtube and it played fine, and it also played any problem on my

Vista PC.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Files Won't Open Correctly in Windows 8 (64 bit)
              A.T. Romano Level 7

gelijojapa

You wrote about your MPEG2.mpg (720p30) Premiere Elements Export....

"When I go to play the file on my PC, there's no video".

Since you mention Windows 8 64 bit as your computer, what player did you attempt to use. Did you get an error message with an explanation for the no video?

I believe that there is no MPEG2 playback in Windows 8. I have seen suggested choices for Ffdshow, MPC-HC, and VLC player. This might be the explanation for the different playback results Windows 8 vs Windows Vista with this file with MPEG2 video compression and a .mpg file extension (wrapper/container).

Depending on further details, information needed on

a. What type of .avi you are using as source? Avi is just a wrapper format. Different possibilities for video compression.

b. Properties of the .avi file...does that 720 x 480 have a display aspect ratio of 4:3 or 16:9. Is the frame rate interlaced or progressive. That type of information can be gotten from a video audio properties readout program such as MediaInfo or from knowing the brand/model/settings for your webcam.

Lots of details to put into place.

Please review.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Files Won't Open Correctly in Windows 8 (64 bit)
                gelijojapa Level 1

I think solved my problem. There are several AVCHD presets that work fine

in Windows 8. Thank you your help.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Files Won't Open Correctly in Windows 8 (64 bit)
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

gelijojapa

Thanks for the follow up.

Great news, problem seems to be resolved.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further concerns about your Premiere Elements workflows.

ATR