13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2014 8:58 AM by WeAreEcoGreen

How can I escape a loop to further down the timeline

WeAreEcoGreen

Hi everyone, I am wanting to know if I can send the edge animate playhead further down the time line if it is currently in a loop to a point not yet passed. I have tried labels, and play from, as an action triggered in the loo and all that I can have work in a loop is stop and go to url..

Please help if you have any ideas. Thanks

• 1. Re: How can I escape a loop to further down the timeline
          heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

What exactly are you trying to do? Please detail.

From what I can gather with your description, a timeline 'trigger/action' shuld work.

Example 10 second animation.

Place the playhead at the position/time you want to 'jump', say at the 2 (0.02) second mark on the time line.

Then Ctrl/Command + T to add a timeline trigger.

At the Code window enter something like

sym.play(8000);

Where the value 8000 represents the 8 second mark, in my example, use case.

Ctrl/Command + Enter to preview.

So the above example play out a 10 sec animation, but at the 2 sec mark it will auto jump to the 8 sec position and complete.

hth

Darrell

• 2. Re: How can I escape a loop to further down the timeline
            WeAreEcoGreen Level 1

Hi, thanks for the response Darrel

Your answer of putting a trigger on the main time line just makes the loop null as it would never pass that point of the trigger to go into a loop I have tried ihave  a loop and within that loop put a mouse down trigger to jump to a point say 12000 which would be after the point I have the trigger that says play 2000 (which causes the loop)thing is it doesn't respond to the mouse down..just keeps looping 2000 - 6000..

I would have thought the mouse down could take the head passed the end point out of the loop when you pressed the mouse and if not pressed would just be in the loop..that was what I was trying to do. I very much appreciate any help.

Thanks.

I have the current thing up at WeAreEcoGreen.com and the mouse down is set on the title..but title just keeps looping...

I just tried again and when I have no timeline action occurring at the 12000 mark it seems to go there and stop but as soon as I put a element there to fade in it kills it and just stays in the loop....

Best regards Jean-Paul

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

• 3. Re: How can I escape a loop to further down the timeline
              WeAreEcoGreen Level 1

Hi Darrell,

I just reread your email..the difference in your example is the jump occurs within the loop. I want to escape the loop and go beyond onto say 12000 which is past the end of the loop.. you follow? Can I do that somehow?

• 4. Re: How can I escape a loop to further down the timeline

I assume the click action is supposed to be on the WeAreEcoGreen.com, title text. Correct.

If so then the Click action should merely be

sym.play(12000);

Then from there, it will play the designated timeline portion from 12 seconds, onward, to the next timeline stop() action.

So

Timeline sample

Start                                                        | title loop                                    | sym.play(8000);                        |

0 --------------------------------------------------8 ---- start title loop portion ---- 10 (loop back to 8) ------------------ 12 ------------- do something else ----------xx stop()

Example shows

An intro that auto starts, plays along and when it hits 10 secs the timeline trigger sym.play(8000); will loop just that section (from 8 to 10 secs, for example).

Next select the title element, and add a Click action sym.play(12000); so that you can trigger the timeline to play at the 12 sec mark.

Btw: Your animation is not showing in Ie 11

Hth

Darrell

• 5. Re: How can I escape a loop to further down the timeline
                  WeAreEcoGreen Level 1

Thank you again for your response.

Yes that it's exactly what I want to do and is what I have there but for some reason when I try to click the area or any area it simply keeps looping. And hence my confusion as I would have thought that would create that result. Have you actually done this in practice yourself? I too expected that to work.

The only action I can get working is the stop and go-to url...

• 6. Re: How can I escape a loop to further down the timeline
                    WeAreEcoGreen Level 1

Hello Darrel,

I created a whole new animation a lot simpler to remove any other variables and the concept does not work. Once in a loop the click or mouse trigger does not allow one to escape the loop. Please if you have a moment try and set one up with a loop after a loop on the timeline and try and get from one to the other. I could not get it to happen. I would greatly appreciate anyone's input in this area.

Best regards.

• 7. Re: How can I escape a loop to further down the timeline
                      WeAreEcoGreen Level 1

Hello Darrel,

I created a whole new animation a lot simpler to remove any other variables and the concept does not work. Once in a loop the click or mouse trigger does not allow one to escape the loop. Please if you have a moment try and set one up with a loop after a loop on the timeline and try and get from one to the other. I could not get it to happen. I would greatly appreciate anyone's input in this area.

Best regards.

• 8. Re: How can I escape a loop to further down the timeline

Yes I did this many times.

I have a full morning ahead me, and will attend to a sample this afternoon.

D

• 9. Re: How can I escape a loop to further down the timeline
                          WeAreEcoGreen Level 1

I see, then I'm doing something wrong. I will keep doing it till I find what I'm doing wrong. Thank you for your time.

Best regards.

• 10. Re: How can I escape a loop to further down the timeline

A simple example: http://www.heathrowe.com/edge/label-trigger/publish/web/

An intro plays, for 4 secs; followed by a loop (the blinking of the title).

I used timeline triggers {} and labels to navigate.

The animation reaches the 4.5sec mark and hits an Action trigger {}

sym.play('blink');

Which directs back to the Timeline Label position called blink at the 4 sec mark, thus creating the loop.This section of the timeline will loop forever until the enduser clicks the title.

The blinking title has a Click event handler {}

sym.play('one');

Which directs it to another Label position on the timeline called one, thus breaking out of the loop to another position.

Download sample: http:www.heathrowe.com/edge/label-trigger/label-trigger.zip

Note: When you get to the subsequent label 'one' thee is an additional element (grey circle) with a click handle to go back to 0 (ie replay).

Its a simple example, but if you intend to have have a lot of elements, best practice is to take advantage of nested elements, Groups and or Symbols to 'de-clutter' the timeline.

hth

Darrell

• 11. Re: How can I escape a loop to further down the timeline
                              WeAreEcoGreen Level 1

Thanks ! I see you have it working hmmm ok im downloading to see what I got wrong , sounds so simple so I have to see why it doesn't work. Thank you for taking the time. It's very much appreciated.

• 13. Re: How can I escape a loop to further down the timeline
                                WeAreEcoGreen Level 1

Hi Darrell,

Well thought I should let you know I think but can only guess as to what the problem is as I can not load your example as I have an earlier version so must have been a bug that they fixed...as I have done exactly as you suggest and seems logical but does not work. so guys need to save up to get newer version. Thanks again for your time.