5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2014 12:25 AM by Rick Gerard

AI to Premiere

Arrakis Level 1

Im making some animated text inserts in after effects CC which I will be giving to someone to use for a premiere pro project.  Whats the best work flow for doing this?  They will need to overlay it over the video footage.    What kind of files should I save to give to them?   AI files?   Or do I render it as a mov file with a transparent background?  Im not sure.  Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: AI to Premiere
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I'd give them files exported using a lossless codec, such as QuickTime Animation.

• 2. Re: AI to Premiere
            Arrakis Level 1

I imported my quicktime mov file - output module: lossless with alpha.   But when I import it to premiere pro and play, once the timeline indicator reaches it,  the footage goes all choppy.   Both the sequence and the mov file are 1920 x 1080 25 fps  What is happening?

• 3. Re: AI to Premiere
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is really basic stuff, you have to render your preview.

• 4. Re: AI to Premiere
                Arrakis Level 1

But everytime I move it on the timeline I have to re-render again.  Tedious much.     Why do the rest of my QT movs in the sequence play fine with yellow render bar but this one mov  have rendered out from AE as lossless alpha has to be rendered in this way everytime I make a change?

• 5. Re: AI to Premiere
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you render previews in Premiere Pro they should stay until you make a change in that section of the footage.

The animation codec quicktime is a lossless file in a codec that is intended as a storage container for lossless video and the data rate is too high to playback smoothly. Also, you are applying this layer on top of another video which means calculations must take place. That also takes system resources. If you press the enter key in PPro the timeline will render all sections that require rendering for smooth playback.

This is really basic NLE stuff and it's not unique to Premiere Pro. They all require rendering of sources and processes that require rendering to cache before playing back.

Jpeg2000 or PNG qt or even image sequences are other options for your projects that need to contain an alpha channel, but I'm afraid that if your system won't playback in real time then you have to render the previews and every time you change something that needs to be rendered you .... you guessed it, have to render it again.