8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2014 9:03 AM by cc_merchant

Which video card to replace GTX470?

Dvico Level 1

Hello!

I'd like to ask your advice what type of video card a good choice to replace my GTX470?Which  is better performance? Please send me exact type, I mean Asus or Gigabyte.?

My desktop pc : P9X79 Pro / 64Gb RAm / i7 3930K / Areca raid controller 2* 4*1TB HDD / OCZ revodrive for OS.Mainly I use Premiere Pro CS6+After effects CS6 , to edit 1080p DSLR, sometimes AVCHD 1080, maybe in the future 4K.

As I checked the benchmark site so maybe the good choise is GTX 770 or 760 4GB enough?The price should be under 450USD.

Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: Which video card to replace GTX470?
          cc_merchant Level 4

With 4K material in the future in mind, look at the EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Classified. See below:

EVGA 770.png

• 2. Re: Which video card to replace GTX470?
            Dvico Level 1

Thanks! And what do you thunk about Gygabyte? they have a lower performance?They also have 4Gb GTX770 with better price.

And as I see the price this 4Gb 770 close to Asus 780 3Gb.

Is there any main performance difference between 780 3Gb and 770  4Gb ?

Becuse the 256 and 384 bit memory bus not the same?

• 3. Re: Which video card to replace GTX470?
              cc_merchant Level 4

And what do you thunk about Gygabyte? they have a lower performance?They also have 4Gb GTX770 with better price.

It has a marginally lower memory bandwidth and thus marginally lower performance than the EVGA.

For 4K material, 4 GB VRAM is a lot better than 3 GB, since it reduces the risk of running out of video memory. The performance difference between the 770 and 780 is small, as long as you don't run out of video memory. Once that happens, the 770 is much faster.

• 4. Re: Which video card to replace GTX470?
                JEShort01 Level 4

Dvico,

Regarding brand, I prefer EVGA (my #1 choice now) and would consider MSI too (my #2 choice now). They both fully support the best monitoring / tuning applications that (with the 700 series cards) provide adjustable limits on both power and temperature targets in addition to customization features for fan control (including speed vs temp. curves). For EVGA this application is called Precision X and MSI's is called Afterburner and it is my understanding that the same person wrote both of these (essentially similar functionality with separate user interfaces).

Here's how I like to set mine:

- set hard coded fan speed to where it is just starting to become audible

- set the temperature target to prevent overheating

This too prevents the annoying speed ramping and/or just plain excessive wind noise that the GTX series cards are capable of (except water cooled models of course!).

Regards,

Jim

• 5. Re: Which video card to replace GTX470?
                  Dvico Level 1

Thanks Jim.I prefer EVGA also, I think. As I checked they also have a not OC model, what is the same price level with Gigabyte.Im not decided yet to spend extra money for the overclocked models...Do you have xperiance with an OC and base clock models.OC models have a lot more power consumption and heat?

Can I use it the OC clock for editing?

Mostly I working on projects for weeks and render just a few hours.So I dont care about the rendering procedure, and time.What is important for me to preview in realtime smoothly during unfinished projects.

• 6. Re: Which video card to replace GTX470?
                    Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

JEShort01 wrote:

Here's how I like to set mine:

- set hard coded fan speed to where it is just starting to become audible

- set the temperature target to prevent overheating

This too prevents the annoying speed ramping and/or just plain excessive wind noise that the GTX series cards are capable of (except water cooled models of course!).

That first one is extremely important.  After installing an EVGA GTX 780 in my editing computer I occasionally was getting a BSD crash.  I took the computer outside and cleaned it thoughly and still had the problem.  I was having this problem on exporting AVCHD to MPEG2-DVD and constantly watching the core temps and they were low. so I started looking at the GPU and what amazed me was that as the GPU load increased to ~100% that there was no automatic increase in the fan speed,  it just ran at about 46% (if I remember correctly) never faster or never slower.  In Precision X, I selected the Fan Curve control by a the GPU load goes up the fan speed increases as you can see below,  Now everything works properly, the new Maximum temperature is 67 degrees CPrecision-X-Fan.png

• 7. Re: Which video card to replace GTX470?
                      UlfLaursen Level 2

Good to know Bill, I'm looking at this vard as well. Thanks for sharing

Ulf

• 8. Re: Which video card to replace GTX470?
                        cc_merchant Level 4

Almost identical to my overclocked 680 settings:

EVGA 680.png