17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2014 7:29 PM by KCP1954

Help with Blurring Feature

KCP1954

I'm just coming to terms with using Premiere Elements 12 to edit my home videos. I've used the blurring feature to diffuse background images that detract from the relevant portions of my video. However, when I render the finished project to save to my computer and burn onto a DVD, the blurred portions appear in the wrong part of my video, and interfere with the parts that I DO want to keep. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

• 1. Re: Help with Blurring Feature
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This happens often when you're editing MPEG/MTS video.

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

• 2. Re: Help with Blurring Feature
            KCP1954 Level 1

Hi Steve

The video camera is only a basic model; a Sony Hanycam HDR-Cx110, but it is full HD 1080 and in the Pal format.

• 3. Re: Help with Blurring Feature
              A.T. Romano Level 7

KCP1954

How are you applying the blur and which blur?

Are you doing this by applying one of the blur effects to an Effects Mask that you create in the frame or other?

What is your preset for the burn to DVD...PAL Dolby DVD or PAL Widescreen Dolby DVD?

ATR

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Help with Blurring Feature

This has long been a bug when working with MPEG and MTS files in Premiere Elements, ATR. For some reason, objects and effects in the final output don't match their location on the timeline.

There are workarounds for it, depending on how KCP plans to use his finished video.

But if you'd like, we can pursue your line of thinking first.

• 5. Re: Help with Blurring Feature
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Good morning.

I have not run into this MPEG and MTS blur problem before so I will do some homework on this based on your comments. And, I will do just that after I get the background information requested from KCP1954 in order to rule out other possibiities.

Thanks for the reply and insights.

ATR.

• 6. Re: Help with Blurring Feature
                    KCP1954 Level 1

Hi

I wasn't sure how to undertake the blurring process, so I looked on youtube and found a segment titled, "blur faces in motion in Adobe Premiere Elements 12" by Chareen Snelson. The principal was pretty much the same for the blurring portions that I wanted to achieve on my home video, so I just followed the instructions in Chareen's video.

1  I used an effects mask, by right clicking on my video in the timeline, selecting 'Effects Mask' and then clicking apply.

2  That gave me a box in my video clip and an item on video 2 in my timeline.

3  Then I clicked on the Effects panel at the bottom of my timeline display and clicked on "Mosaic" and dragged it onto the

effects mask under video 2 on my timeline.

4  I adjusted the mosaic box in my video clip using the applied effects button and dragged the box to that portion of my video

that I wanted to blur.

5  Then under "Mask" in the applied effects box, I clicked on the little stopwatch called "toggle animation", which sets up my

keyframes.

6  Then I clicked on the "show/hide keyframe controls" button up in the right hand corner, which opens up a timeline for the

keyframes.

7   I then right clicked on the video 2 in my timeline again, then effects mask and then edit. This allowed to move and adjust the

mosaic box on my video clip, as my video progressed, which added keyframes to the keyframe timeline.

This procedure gave me the result that I was looking for while the video was still in the editing stage of Adobe Premiere Elements, but as soon as I rendered the project into the completed video to be saved on to my computer, the finished video had the blurring portions all in the wrong places.

I tried both PAL Dolby DVD and PAL Widescreen Dolby DVD, but on both occasions, the result was the same.

This is all very long-winded I'm afraid. Perhaps you can make more sense of the procedure I followed, if you watch Ms Snelson's video on youtube.

Thanks for your time.

• 7. Re: Help with Blurring Feature

I demonstrate my own method for doing this in my special effects book for Premiere Elements 11 and 12 -- as well as step by step instructions for creating 50 visual effects -- if you're interested.

http://muvipix.com/cooltricks11.php

• 8. Re: Help with Blurring Feature
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

KCP1954

Thanks for the details which I found very helpful. I am familiar with the approach, but have not seen this particular video tutorial that you mention. But, I will watch it nonetheless when I do a run through of what you have described.

What project preset did you use for your project?

Once I know the project preset used, I will give what you have described a run through to determine any vulnerable spots that would result in the export issue.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Help with Blurring Feature
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Your link is not working in post numbered 7. Not Found display.

ATR

• 10. Re: Help with Blurring Feature
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Not sure if this is the link, that Steve G. was referring to, but here is the Muvipix link to Amazon, for his Cool Tips & Tricks PrE 11 book:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1482666375?tag=chuckengelsco-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCo de=as1&creativeASIN=1482666375&adid=115E77YZJAJQKP4JYYY0&&ref-refURL=http%3A%2F%2Fmuvipix. com%2FFORMgallery1.php

That posted link did not work for me either.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Help with Blurring Feature

Thanks, Bill. I've also fixed the link to the product and tutorial page in my post above.

• 12. Re: Help with Blurring Feature
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Great!

Hunt

• 13. Re: Help with Blurring Feature
                                  KCP1954 Level 1

Project preset? Not sure what that means.

KC

• 14. Re: Help with Blurring Feature
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

KCP1954

The Premiere Elements 12 project preset sets the project settings to match the properties of your source media.

That is important since it directs the program to establish the Edit Mode monitor space to match the properties of the source media for editing purposes.The setting of the project preset has obvious and subtle features. Another of the obvious kind is that it directs the program as to which set of Movie Menus choices to display for your project.

In Premiere Elements 12 the project takes control over setting this project preset based on the properties of the first drag to the Timeline. Sometimes it does it OK, sometimes not so OK. When it does not do it OK, then you have to set the project preset manually in the new project dialog. To do that:

a. Open a new project

b. Go immediately to File Menu/New/Project and set the project preset to match the properties of your source media. Before you exit the final dialog there, be sure to place a check mark next ot "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project"

c. Then back in the Premiere Elements Expert workspace, use Add Media/ to import your video into the project.

When the program does not set the project preset correctly it is not just a matter of it giving you the closest to what you have. Instead it default to its default which is NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30 or its PAL counterpart.

This situation exists for both Premiere Elements 11 and 12.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-accuracy-of-automatic-project.html

Please let me know if I have targeted your question. Please let me know if you need clarification on anything written.

I have done some road testing on the blur/mosaic before and after export and have not replicated the issue yet. More on that later.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                                    • 15. Re: Help with Blurring Feature
                                      KCP1954 Level 1

ATR

Sorry I've taken so long to reply but I've been following your instructions and doing a little test video.

You're an absolute genius! You've managed to target the exact problem for me! It works fine now.

I had no idea the project preset was there. I just assumed that if I selected PAL to render the project, it would make the necessary adjustments.

I live in Australia but I actually bought my copy of Premiere Elements 12 while on a recent trip to Hawaii. But, because it was purchased in America I guess the program defaulted to NTSC rather than PAL. So I did my whole video project with the presets on NTSC AVCHD without realising it, and when I rendered it under the PAL format, the blurring obviously got all out of sync!

I'm so grateful! Great work! I'm very impressed! You have no idea how frustrated I was getting with the Premiere Elements! Good job!

Thanks again

KCP

• 16. Re: Help with Blurring Feature
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

KCP

I really appreciate the follow up great news that the problem is resolved. Great job in sorting out the details so that they worked for you.

Remember never give up and never hesitate to ask questions and ask for clarification.

Best wishes

ATR

• 17. Re: Help with Blurring Feature
                                          KCP1954 Level 1

Hi ATR

Sound advice. I shall be seeking your counsel if we stumble over another problem.

Thanks again.

KC