6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2014 11:06 AM by Josh_Corey

Problems importing PDF file to Forms Central

labs2

I am trying to import a PDF file to Form Central, last week the file imported fine, we had to make some corections, and now when I try to import the file I get this response

FormsCentral could not import the PDF form because it has more than 500 form fields.

can someone enlighten me on this,  I did not add any more fields, I just adjusted the tabs and labeled the form fields.

Thanks New

• 1. Re: Problems importing PDF file to Forms Central
          Josh_Corey Adobe Employee

Hi;

Can you send me the two versions of the PDF to jcorey@adobe.com ?  If you don't have the original that worked you can share that form with me in FormsCentral following these instructions (and please include a reference to this forum post), share with jcorey@adobe.com

http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-2462

Thanks,

Josh

• 2. Re: Problems importing PDF file to Forms Central

Hi;

It turns out the PDF should have been blocked originally, that the original had too many fields too (well over 500).  Something was repaired in the PDF when it was edited in Acrobat that made it so that the import PDF error checking was able to correctly determine their were too many fields.

Thanks,

Josh

• 3. Re: Problems importing PDF file to Forms Central
              SI_MSD7 Level 2

Is the 500 max applicable to all accounts or just the free account? I just spent the better half of 4 hours naming hundreds of fields only to find out I can only import up to 500 hundred!

• 4. Re: Problems importing PDF file to Forms Central

Hi;  The field limit is for all account levels.  The best thing to do in this case is too split the form into two, it is not ideal but is the only way around this limit.

Thanks,

Josh

• 5. Re: Problems importing PDF file to Forms Central
                  SI_MSD7 Level 2

Thanks Josh...that's what I ended-up having to do. The problem is this will now produce two separate responses. I now have to devise a way to track/connect submissions from part A & part B (i.e, by adding a reference ID to both forms), otherwise we wouldn't know which data applies to which responses - considering the applications will now be submitted at different times vs as a whole. Just another setback with Form Central.

The other issue is with Form Central reordering certain fields in the Response table.  My field names and tab order set in Acrobat are 100% in sequence - in terms of the names in the tab order panel matching the actual placement of the fields on the page. When I upload/import the PDF to Form Central, certain fields are placed out of order and I have to scroll through "miles" of headers just to find the misplaced field to manually reorder it.  Is there any progress in having this issue resolved in Form Central? I have no idea what Form Central is reading when it imports the PDF, because it doesn't appear to looking at the form structure in terms of the tab order.

Also, will the 500 field max ever get increased?

i think Form Central offers a good solution for being able to submit data but these quirks are casting a shadow on the brand.

• 6. Re: Problems importing PDF file to Forms Central

I hear your concerns/issues and unfortunately don't have any good information or work around for you.  The 500 field limit is not likely to change anytime soon.  The field order is unfortunately not something you can easily change, it is the order in the PDF dictionary which you don't have access to edit, the tab order is not related to the actual order that the fields are in in the PDF structure, unfortunately FormsCentral was not able to utilize the tab order.  I do wish I had better information for you, but these are certainly limitations.

Thanks,

Josh