2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2014 10:22 AM by Jordan Montreuil

AE CC is using insane amounts of RAM for all projects, no matter how small.

Jordan Montreuil

Ever since I started using AE CC instead of CS6, I've noticed my RAM using is through the roof. AE will utlitize all available RAM for every project, no matter how small. I was working on a project last night with 5 layers, only two pieces of footage for a total of 75 megs of footage. This is a screenshot of my Activity Manager:

ram.png

This will often max out my system, leaving me less than 50 megs of RAM. Which makes it impossible to use other programs while AE is running.

Does anyone have any idea why this happening and what I can do to stop it?

• 1. Re: AE CC is using insane amounts of RAM for all projects, no matter how small.
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If I'm reading that correctly, it appears that AE is only using 6 GB of RAM and you have waaaaay too many powerful programs running at once.

• 2. Re: AE CC is using insane amounts of RAM for all projects, no matter how small.
            Jordan Montreuil Level 1

The OS is using 5 gigs, I'm not sure why but it is. Firefox is using a gig but that's pretty common. The rest is stuff running is not using much at all. But that still doesn't solve my problem. The problem I am having is AE uses all available RAM.

All available RAM, no matter the project size.

If I were to run a 'purge' in the terminal, it would probably free up about 2 gigs of RAM from the kernal task. Then AE would take it over.

In this instance, the project is two layers of quicktime movies, a layer for Optical Flares and a layer for Magic Bullet Looks. Very simple project that doesn't even take that long to render. Yet, AE takes up all of the RAM.

I want to know why AE is sucking up all of the RAM and how to prevent. It takes all available resources and makes the system pretty much unusable outside of AE.

PS. I have 5 gigs of RAM set aside for other applications in the preferences.