12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2014 8:57 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 9 just stopped working!

Trixstal

The program opens up to a blank grey screen, that's it. I've never had a problem with the program before, but as of a few days ago, it just quit on me. The following information did finally come up after I tried many taskes to open it. I even tried opening it right from the apllication, instead of the shortcut, in case there was something funny going on with the start up/splash screen. I know that Adobe has stopped the Photoshop.com saving sute, but I never used any of that, so I was wondering if that could be the case. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled it twice. The first time I open the program I actually get a work area (vid display, times, file area, etc. But once I try to open a project it goes grey and that's all it does. The information that came up is as follows:

premiere elements stopped working.JPG

premiere elents stop working2.JPG

Then I started getting this message...

premiere solution.JPG

This is all I get when O open the program now...

PREMIER ELEMENTS 9 MISSING WORK AREA.JPG

Can someone please help me? This was my go to video editor, and I'd like to not look for another brand or program. Thank you

Windows 7 Home Premium  Service Pack 1

Dell Inspiron 5520 - Intel i5-3210M CPU @2.50 GHz - RAM 8 GB - 64bit - 900 GB HD.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 just stopped working!
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What SOMETIMES happens is that a Windows update will make a graphics driver "obsolete" so read below

What is your exact brand/model graphics adapter (ATI or nVidia or ???)

What is your exact graphics adapter driver version?

Have you gone to the vendor web site to check for a newer driver?

For Windows, do NOT rely on Windows Update to have current driver information

-you need to go direct to the vendor web site and check updates for yourself

ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 just stopped working!
            Trixstal Level 1

Hey John,  Thanks so much for the reply. I upgraded the graphics drive but it still has the same issue. I hope it's not the transition of Adobe eliminating Photoshop.com storage services that's messing with this. Whe I open the program right from the exe I don't get am option to crate/name new work. It just opens to the gret space illustrated above. When I do use the standard desktop shortcutt the opening screen gives me the option to sign in, etc..  But when I choose a new program or open an old program the spinning 'thinking' circles dissapears and the program doesn't do anything, no work areas to display. Hmm, this is getting frustrating. I whis Adobe had actual Customer Cervice to figuer this out.

If you have any other suggestions I would greatly appriciate them. Thanks again!

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9 just stopped working!
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know if Adobe still supports your version, but worth a try

Select a reason, then click I STILL NEED HELP to activate Premiere Elements chat

-http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?product=premiere-elements&topic=activating-my-product- or-serial-number-issues

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9 just stopped working!
                Trixstal Level 1

So one other thing I'd like to mention about my problem is, all the options under the top headdropdown menues are grayed out. Dod that ring any bells as to what might be wrong? I can't be the only one having this issue since the new year.

Also here are the correct links to the error messages I've been getting. I wasn't aware that I couldn't insert actual images in this forum.

First part of the Error Window that pops up:

https://workspaces.acrobat.com/?d=zDfevDi4v5cNcHu*WpvlfQ

Second part of the Error Window that pops up:

https://workspaces.acrobat.com/?d=36Le9BtIxfigMLA8Ge*kbA

Additional Error window that popped up:

https://workspaces.acrobat.com/?d=sWDuNytuY0lGwS2aPbLHcw

This is all I get when the program opens, and all the drop down options are grayed out when opened:

https://workspaces.acrobat.com/?d=8lVWNbSbMyZnXxBzGp2SXQ

Any help would be greatly appriciated. I'm starting to lean towards another brand editor, but I'd rather not. Thank you.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9 just stopped working!
                  Trixstal Level 1

I truly have to say I'm very dissapointed in Adobe as a company. To leave, um, "Customer Service" to a forum is insane! I have a product made by the company, they should be the ones to get it back up and running, not other users. I know I can't be the only one with this problem, and I've given a lot of information regarding my situation. Yes, I have seen the repremands when someone does't supply all the right info. So, now it looks like I'll be shopping for a new video editing program. Very dissapointed.

Much thanks to John T Smith for taking the time to try and help me.

What a waste of time it was learning this program.

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 9 just stopped working!
                    Indefatigable

I've had a very similar problem and finally determined the problem is my McAfee Real-Time Scanning.  Turn that off, and the grey-screen problem goes away.  I can't tell you how long that problem has existed as it had been quite a while since I used this program, but for sure it has existed all of this month.

McAfee also screwed up my cd/dvd drive and prevented ejecting the disc both mechanically and via software but there was no problem reading the disc that was in the drive.  Again, turn off the virus/spyware scanning and the drive problem vanishes.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 9 just stopped working!
                      Trixstal Level 1

Indefatigable....  YOU ARE A GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!  If I could reach through the screen and shake your hand, I would. That did the trick! Thank you so much for takin gth etime to help me. This had been driving me crazy for the longest time. I'm back in business. Thanks again!!

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 9 just stopped working!
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks for sharing your observations.

Real-time, active scanning anti-virus, anti-malware and anti-almost anything, can be highly problematic, when using programs, like PrE, plus some other computer operations, and not just those from McAfee.

What so often happens is that they lock files on writes, until they have scanned to data about to be written. Many will also lock files, on reads. With large PrE working files, or the media files, this locking can cause all sorts of issues. Often, the program will receive a time-out from the OS, because necessary files are locked. With large files, surveying them on all reads, and writes will, at best, slow things to a crawl, or cause myriad failures.

I had not read of one of those programs locking a multi-drive, but that makes sense, especially if the disc in the multi-drive contains large files - also, any reads from a multi-drive vs from the HDD, will likely be slower.

When editing, I recommend that one turn off any active, real-time scanning anti-virus, etc.. During that time, I do not recommend Web browsing, or opening e-mails, especially ones with any attachments.

Again, your input is greatly appreciated.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 9 just stopped working!
                          Indefatigable Level 1

Trixstal, you're welcome.  Do you recall when you first had the problem? I'm trying to give McAfee some feedback so that they can solve the problem. Others must also be frustrated or putting in ridiculous time and effort to fix their PC.

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 9 just stopped working!
                            Trixstal Level 1

Unfortunately, I'm not sure when this started to occur. I'm a composer of music for film/TV. It never really dawned on me that McAfee would be the problem because when I use Premiere, McAfee would automatically be off since I have to disable any anti-virus software to run my dense recording DAW and sound VST instruments. It would be at the end of a session where I'd throw together a rough demo of sound to picture for directors/producers to get an idea for that day. It just happened to be that when I always use Premiere, MaCafee would have been off by situational circumstance. Sorry, I wish I could pin point a beter time frame for you. But again, thank you so much for your help

Bill, thanks so much for your information. As for the multi drives, yes, I use four seperate drives in unison for my work.

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 9 just stopped working!
                              Indefatigable Level 1

I've found a post dated June 2010 that described the same problem for a PrE8 installation.  I'm wondering if there is some way to make add an antivirus warning to the faq list or put a sticky on the topic.  I've added bookmarks, fwiw.

Still playing phone tag with McAfee tech support but will ensure that it goes on record with them.

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 9 just stopped working!
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Indefatigable,

While too long to work as a "stickie," this Tips & Tricks article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2910195#2910195

mentions problems with anti-virus, anti-malware and anti-about-anything programs, when used on a video-editing machine.

After the article was initially written, many companines, Norton, McAfee, and others, introduced the real-time scanning, active programs, which introduced new issues, such as the "locking" of all files on reads AND writes. Mention of those was added down the article, as a warning on how issues can develop when such programs are employed.

As for the above linked article, it makes mention, also, of Windows Indexing, as it could also lock large AV files. Windows Indexing has been re-written, and has gotten better with more recent Windows OS's, so it is less of a problem now, than it once was.

Thanks for the work that you have done on this. One thing that I would like to point out is that McAfee is not the ONLY such program, that can cause a problem, and I say that as one, who has never been a fan of McAfee, for various reasons. Norton, and several other companines, have anti-whatever programs, that can do the same thing.

Hunt