3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2014 9:26 AM by SebastiaanFP

Help: my laptop is 7 years old (yes, I've read Tweakers Page)

Marto

Hello All,

I've taken the time to thoroughly research as much as I could prior to posting this. What follows is my current situation and a detailed outline of what type of advice I'm looking for. I know it's a long post, but I consider this a large investment so I'd like to make the most informed decision possible (and yes, I've read Tweakers Page). I have also read the minimum specifications for the Adobe programs, my questions are more aligned with an optimized machine that will run smoothly, not at the minimum speed. For your convenience:

TL;DR - I have an old machine and need advice on purchasing a new one for moderate video editing use (1 - 3 projects a month).

Here are my current specs:

My current machine is a 7 year-old MacBook Pro, and I'm looking for a new one. My current setup is as follows:

• 2007 model MacBook Pro (the year the iPhone first came out)
      • OSX 10.5 (I will soon be ineligible for various system and application updates)
      • 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
      • 4 GB (two 2GB) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
      • NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 128MB of GDDR3 SDRAM and dual-link DVI
      • 15.4-inch (diagonal), 1440 by 900 resolution, TFT widescreen
      • One FireWire 400, one FireWire 800, two USB 2.0 ports, and ExpressCard/34 slot

My current work load/flow:

I do about 1-3 projects a month for my small business. It is a side project; I am employed full time elsewhere and do not do any editing/design in my day job. I currently use AE CS3, AI and PS CS4, and the 2007 version of FCE. I'm posting here because my assumption is that video editing (AE and PPro) will be the most hardware-taxing applications I use. Thus my other needs (AI and PS) will be adequately covered if the machine can handle those programs. I have already read Tweakers Page and feel that a laptop will suite my needs based on the information provided there. Plus, I need the on-the-go capability.

I don't shoot video, so I don't have to worry about imports from a camera: I usually edit with photos, stock footage or custom animations that I create on my own (2d, 2.5d and 3d).

My final video product run times range from roughly :30 - 5:00. I publish to the web (not DVD or broadcast) and typically work with DV and DVCPRO formats and almost always operate in HD. I will sometimes utilize Animation or other uncompressed formats for very short but high quality AE clips.

I have never touched (nor do I plan to in the near future) anything like RED 4K or ProRes footage. The only high end footage I can see myself coming in contact with is GoPro Hero footage.

What I'm looking for:

My planned budget is <$2,000. I am hoping that is enough to cover the machine and any upgrades needed (extra RAM and EXT HDD).The Applications I will be using most frequently are:

• Adobe CC; primarily:
        • Illustrator
        • Photoshop
        • AE (with plugins like Element 3D)
        • PPro (or FCE depending on if I go with a mac or PC)
      • Microsoft Office
      • A 3D Application (either Blender, 3Ds Max or C4D depending on mac or PC)
      • Google Chrome

I will only be editing video while plugged in (not on the go). I plan to have at least one external hard drive which will act as a project drive (greater than 5400 RPM). The applications will be housed on the internal drive so I'm not worried about the 5400 RPM issue. I also plan to have at least one additional monitor for dual screen use.

On the go, I will likely only use Microsoft Office applications and possibly AI or PS.

What I'm currently looking at:

Lenovo IdeaPad y510p: $1,499

• CPU: 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)    
      • RAM: 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz       
      • HD: 1TB 5400 RPM + 24GB SSD   
      • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT750M GDDR5 2GB
      • Display: 15.6" FHD LED Glossy Wedge 1920x1080   

15" Apple Macbook Pro: $1,999 (hoping to find this at a discount)

• CPU: 2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz) with 6MB shared L3 cache 
      • RAM: 8GB of 1600MHz DDR3L      
      • HD: 256GB (not sure of the RPM)
      • Graphics: Intel Iris Pro       
      • Display: 15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Retina 2880x1800  

I'm very open to other PC suggestions if there is one that better fits my needs. I'm looking for straight hardware recommendations/comparisons, not a windows vs. osx debate. If you have benchmarking evidence I could read into I would appreciate that as well.

I know the mac may be slightly less powerful than some of the PC's out there, but my understanding is that all of their hardware is calibrated to work as one unit, so I've heard it beats some PC's with similar, uncalibrated hardware as a result. Please correct me if that is wrong.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Help: my laptop is 7 years old (yes, I've read Tweakers Page)
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

No there is not a specific hardware configuration on the Mac that increases performance over the same hardware on the PC. Any performance difference is strictly the hardware specs themselves since both OS's have similar performance right now.

Eric

ADK

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Help: my laptop is 7 years old (yes, I've read Tweakers Page)
            Marto Level 1

Ok, thank you for the clarification. In that case, I'm much more inclined to go with the Lenovo machine. Does anyone have any exprience with this laptop?

• 3. Re: Help: my laptop is 7 years old (yes, I've read Tweakers Page)
              SebastiaanFP Level 1

Hi Marto,

For comparison:

CPU: you could research which one is more powerful, or if the difference is not so big.

GPU: Nvidia Gforce 2GB looks great, I have no idea how the Intel Iris Pro runs with PPRO. But this probably looks the Lenovo choice, but you could research a little bit what the internal Intel graphics can give for Adobe CC editing.

HDD: when only on a single HDD I would absolutely choose a SSD, which would mean the Macbook. But:

• it might be possible to order the Lenevo with a SSD?
              • or actually for the $500 price difference I would take the Lenevo and buy a fast 7200RPM external HDD set (RAID0) or 2 separate individual external HDD 7200RPM, which would turn the Lenovo into a really good 3 disk video editing workstation with a Nvidia graphics card for the same amount of money that will give you the Macbook with an Adobe unsupported Intel video card. This would only depend on what external connections this laptop has: USB3 at least, or maybe ESata for the external HDD's?

So if the processor power is not to big a difference, or maybe the Lenevo is even better, for the $2000 I would take the Lenevo and turn it into a 3 disk video editing station unless:

1. the Lenevo has no fast enough ports for connecting the external disk(s)
              2. the Macbooks Intel GPU is really superior to the Nvidia in regards to Adobe CC performance (which I hardly believe it will be).

But really I would spend the 2000 budget into building a really good video editing / Adobe CC graphics desktop workstation with 4 to 6 HDD and a supported Nvidia card + good processor, and keep your old laptop for if you need to go mobile on video editing. Or do you really need to be editing mobile with your laptop all the time? Or if you only use the laptop for being mobile with MS Office and Google, keep the old laptop for that, and build a good video editing desktop workstation for that money you have. You get much more powerful hardware in this way, then when you try to cram everything inside of a laptop for the same amount of money.

On the Tweakers page you can see what you can build for different budgets, and $1500 to $2000 can really give you a decent video workstation build.

Just some of my thoughts, tell me what you are going to do and greetz!

Sebastiaan