13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2014 8:53 AM by Peter Spier

InDesign to PDF

MikeRM Level 1

When you print to PDF in ID, where does the unnamed file go?

• 1. Re: InDesign to PDF
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Interesting question. Im not sure it's ever more than a phqntom file in memory, tossed when the distiller is done with it.

But why print to PDF at all? Other than Print Booklet, there's pretty much no reason to make PDF other than by export.

• 2. Re: InDesign to PDF
            MikeRM Level 1

Peter,

Export is great—most of the time. But, when I need to print in reverse order or only a select few pages (or perhaps only the odd pages) Export does not have the functions.

• 3. Re: InDesign to PDF

Ummmm,

You can just easily as input a range for exporting a few pages as you can for printing them, and if you want reversed order, odds or evens you can specify that in Acrobat when you print the PDF.

I certainly don't care if yo prefer distillled PDF, but you give up certain things to get it.

• 4. Re: InDesign to PDF
                John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I agree that there is rarely a compelling reason to print to PDF, (or even an actual printer!) from InDesign. But if you insist, there is a setting in the Adobe PDF print driver where you can choose "prompt for PDF file name." Set it to that as the default, and you'll always maintain control over the output file's name and location.

• 5. Re: InDesign to PDF

John,

I may have misunderstood, but I think the question was where is the postcript that gets distilled stored, not the final PDF.

• 6. Re: InDesign to PDF
                    John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You could be right, I don't know. The original post says "print to PDF" so that's what I addressed. Now it's covered either way.

• 7. Re: InDesign to PDF
                      rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

But, when I need to print in reverse order or only a select few pages (or perhaps only the odd pages) Export does not have the functions.

This exports the odd pages of my 8 page doc backwards:

Screen Shot 2014-01-10 at 5.09.54 PM.png

• 8. Re: InDesign to PDF
                        MikeRM Level 1

Rob,

That should work. Might be interesting with 100+ page books, but it will work.

• 9. Re: InDesign to PDF
                          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If it's something you do a lot of the range field is scriptable. This Applescript sets the range to the document's odd pages

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS6"

set p to ""

repeat with i from 1 to count of pages of active document

--change 1 to 0 for even pages

if i mod 2 is 1 then

set p to p & i & ", " as string

end if

end repeat

set p to characters 1 thru ((count of p) - 2) of p

set page range of PDF export preferences to (p as string)

end tell

• 10. Re: InDesign to PDF
                            Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

Let me see if I can combine these answers into a single reply.

First, the question "When you Print to PDF, where does the unnamed file go?" is in error. There is no Print to PDF. There are two types of Export to PDF. One for interactive PDF and another for Print PDF.

If you choose those options, no unnamed file is created.

It sounds like you're remembering a workflow from some other application where a temporary PostScript file was generated and then converted into a PDF using Distiller. But all of that happened in the background.

Nowadays, few people use Distiller. However, as you point out, there is no option to print only odd or even pages using the Export to PDF dialog boxes.

So if you want to print only the odd pages of a book, you would need to enter each one manually, use Rob's script, or use the Print to PostScript dialog box. That gives you the option to choose odd or even pages.

Then, once you have the PS file, you use Distiller to convert it into a PDF.

However, there is no unnamed PS file. You name it and give it a destination as you would any other file.

• 11. Re: InDesign to PDF

Sandee,

Those of us with PCs still enjoy the installation of the PDF virtual printer -- the one-click ID-to-ps-to-distilled-PDF solution that disappeared for Mac users a couple of years ago, so for us there is still a "print tp PDF" option.

• 12. Re: InDesign to PDF
                                sorrentomesa Level 1

Also just a note to use caution when using Distiller since this will flatten native transparency possibly creating artifacts visible with high end output.

Exporting to PDF will always preserve native transparency thereby ensuring the best final product assuming your content is destined for print.

• 13. Re: InDesign to PDF

sorrentomesa wrote:

Exporting to PDF will always preserve native transparency thereby ensuring the best final product assuming your content is destined for print.

Not quite. Distilling will always flatten transparency, rgardless of comapaibility settings, but Exporting only preserves it in versions of PDF that support it: Acrobat 5 or higher, so exporting to Acrobat 4 compatibility will also flatten.