15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2014 9:14 PM by Bill Hurrell

How do I improve the quality of DVD's produced from AVCHD edited video?

Bill Hurrell

In am using Premier Elements 11 and I shoot all my video in AVCHD.  The problem is that when I need to produce a DVD of the editing video for someone who does not have a blu ray or HD DVD player the quality of the DVD is very poor compared to the quality of a blu ray disk or a DVD burned in AVCHD format.  Thanks

Bill

• 1. Re: How do I improve the quality of DVD's produced from AVCHD edited video?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill Hurrell

Poor in what way? Is it the resolution factor, 720 x 480 versus 1920 x 1080?

In these projects are you setting the correct project preset to match the properties of your source media AVCHD?

What are the properties of the AVCHD...audio compresson/channels, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension? What brand/model/settings for the camera?

What kind of player has been involved in the viewing comparison of DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, AVCHD on DVD disc, and Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc?

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I improve the quality of DVD's produced from AVCHD edited video?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Bill,

DVD-Video is SD, where a BD, or AVCHD disc, is HD. Lot of difference between those.

This Image will give you a visual idea of the differences in resolution:

Digital_video_resolutions_(VCD_to_4K)_svg (1).png

With DVD-Video, the best that one can hope for is the user to have an up-rezzing DVD player. Many current BD players are also up-rezzing, but that is not in the mix here.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How do I improve the quality of DVD's produced from AVCHD edited video?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill Hurrell

True, the difference in resolution on the one on one comparison between SD and HD.

But, for many, DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc can be played back on the TV DVD player in good quality and enjoyed.

And, as Hunt has suggested, some TV technology and optimized settings can enhance the DVD-VIDEO viewing experience.

My reply goes to helping you improve your DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc end product if there are flaws in the projects settings and the like and helping you achieve the best possible which should be good, but will be DVD quality not Blu-ray or AVCHD quality.

So that takes us back to the question in my initial reply "Poor in what way?" to decide if there really is anything that needs fixing and/or can be fixed for what you have.

Looking forward to learning of your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: How do I improve the quality of DVD's produced from AVCHD edited video?
                Bill Hurrell Level 1

ATR:

My camera is a Canon Vixia HFM52.  I record using the highest quality AVCHD setting called MXP which is 24 Mbps. The resolution is 1920 x 1080 at 29.97 fps.  If I burn this to a DVD the output format is NTSC widescreen_dolby DVD.  I believe this resolution is 720 x 480.  The result is somewhat grainy and streaks appear in clips where I moved the camera during the shoot.   When I burn to an AVCHD format the result is much better, more like I would expect from this camera.  I am playing these disks on a blu ray player.  I also have an old DVD player and the result for the DVD disk is  the same.  The AVCHD disk will not play.   My question - is there a way to get a higher resolution output that I could burn to a standard DVD and have it play on a standard DVD player.  Hope this provides better information.

Bill

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 18:36:26 -0800

To: bullhurl@hotmail.com

Subject: How do I improve the quality of DVD's produced from AVCHD edited video?

Re: How do I improve the quality of DVD's produced from AVCHD edited video?

created by A.T. Romano in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

Bill Hurrell

Poor in what way? Is it the resolution factor, 720 x 480 versus 1920 x 1080?

In these projects are you setting the correct project preset to match the properties of your source media AVCHD?

What are the properties of the AVCHD...audio compresson/channels, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension? What brand/model/settings for the camera?

What kind of player has been involved in the viewing comparison of DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, AVCHD on DVD disc, and Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc?

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6002437#6002437

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6002437#6002437

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6002437#6002437. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416458?tstart=0.

• 5. Re: How do I improve the quality of DVD's produced from AVCHD edited video?
                  Bill Hurrell Level 1

Hunt:

Thanks, the graphic is very helpful.  I have been producing video in DVD format for years, and I am just learning about HD.

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 19:46:37 -0800

Subject: How do I improve the quality of DVD's produced from AVCHD edited video?

created by Bill Hunt in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

Bill,

DVD-Video is SD, where a BD, or AVCHD disc, is HD. Lot of difference between those.

This Image will give you a visual idea of the differences in resolution:

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-6002550-533624/450-253/Digital _video_resolutions_%28VCD_to_4K%29_svg+%281%29.png

With DVD-Video, the best that one can hope for is the user to have an up-rezzing DVD player. Many current BD players are also up-rezzing, but that is not in the mix here.

Good luck,

Hunt

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6002550#6002550

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6002550#6002550

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6002550#6002550. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416458?tstart=0.

• 6. Re: How do I improve the quality of DVD's produced from AVCHD edited video?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill Hurrell

Thanks for the additional information about your Premiere Elements 11 workflow.

Are you shooting 1920 x 1089 @ 29.97 interlaced or progressive frames per second? If you are shooting 1080p and using the Premiere Elements 1080i project preset, I see one possibility for improving the situation. Let us consider, if you have not been there and done the following yet...

For new project.....Open Premiere Elements 11 to the Expert workspace.

Go to the File Menu/New/Project and set the project preset for

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

before exiting the final dialog there, be sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project".

Back in the Premiere Elements Expert workspace, import your 1080p footage via Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the video to the Timeline. There should be no color line over the Timeline content. Please note "over". I am not referring to the orange line that runs horizontally across the middle of the video clip.

Finally, Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

As for playback on AVCHD on DVD disc. The party line on that is cannot be played with a standard DVD player...needs a Blu-ray player (if AVCHD on DVD is supported by the Blu-ray player). Recently I offered that information to someone who claimed otherwise. But, her DVD player was not what I would consider standard DVD player. It was a Panasonic DVD player that did not have Blu-ray in its name but had specs for AVCHD on DVD among other things.

Please review. Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: How do I improve the quality of DVD's produced from AVCHD edited video?
                      Bill Hurrell Level 1

ATR

I will try this out and let you know how it works.  Thanks.

Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 11:19:38 -0800

Bill Hurrell

Thanks for the additional information about your Premiere Elements 11 workflow.

Are you shooting 1920 x 1089 @ 29.97 interlaced or progressive frames per second? If you are shooting 1080p and using the Premiere Elements 1080i project preset, I see one possibility for improving the situation. Let us consider, if you have not been there and done the following yet...

For new project.....Open Premiere Elements 11 to the Expert workspace.

Go to the File Menu/New/Project and set the project preset for

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

before exiting the final dialog there, be sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project".

Back in the Premiere Elements Expert workspace, import your 1080p footage via Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the video to the Timeline. There should be no color line over the Timeline content. Please note "over". I am not referring to the orange line that runs horizontally across the middle of the video clip.

Finally, Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

As for playback on AVCHD on DVD disc. The party line on that is cannot be played with a standard DVD player...needs a Blu-ray player (if AVCHD on DVD is supported by the Blu-ray player). Recently I offered that information to someone who claimed otherwise. But, her DVD player was not what I would consider standard DVD player. It was a Panasonic DVD player that did not have Blu-ray in its name but had specs for AVCHD on DVD among other things.

Please review. Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6003439#6003439

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6003439#6003439

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6003439#6003439. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 8. Re: How do I improve the quality of DVD's produced from AVCHD edited video?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill Hurrell

Thanks for the reply and for trying out the suggestions.

We will be watching for your results.

ATR

• 9. Re: How do I improve the quality of DVD's produced from AVCHD edited video?
                          Bill Hurrell Level 1

ATR:

Ok - I tried it out.  For some reason there is a colored line above the timeline.  Do you know what this means?  I burnt it to a DVD-RW anyway.  I did not notice any improvement in quality.

Bill

Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 21:40:58 -0800

Bill Hurrell

Thanks for the reply and for trying out the suggestions.

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6006385#6006385

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6006385#6006385

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6006385#6006385. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 10. Re: How do I improve the quality of DVD's produced from AVCHD edited video?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill

Thanks for the follow up.

I just wanted to double check to make sure that we are referring to the same orange line. The one that is used as part of the colored line indicator system is the one at the top of the Timeline. Another orange line in the that area is the Opacity Rubberband which is a vertical orange line that runs through the clip. Please see screenshoot.

OrangeLine.JPG

If we are both considering the orange line render indicator, then the orange line over you Timeline content when it is first dragged to the Timeline indicates that we do not have the right project preset according to the program.

The suggested project preset was based on 1080p @ 29.97 progressive frames per second, not 1080i. Could you confirm the following properties of your Timeline video so that we can better understand the factors involved here?

Video compression

Audio compression

Frame size

Frame rate

Interlaced or Progressive

A factor as small as the video frame rate being 30 frames per second instead of 29.97 could cause the program to give that orange line in this case. Or you could be shooting 1080i instead of 1080p. The stress on this type of question is to obtain information that would give us the best possible project settings as a base for judging factors involved in the quality of the export.

Please review and then we can decide how to proceed.

Thanks for the follow ups. Much appreciated.

ATR

• 11. Re: How do I improve the quality of DVD's produced from AVCHD edited video?
                              Bill Hurrell Level 1

ATR

How do I confirm these properties?  When I right click on a video clip in the timeline it gives me some information, but not everything you are looking for?  BTW I appreciate the help.  I am learning new things about video editing and production.

Bill

Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 08:11:37 -0800

Bill

Thanks for the follow up.

I just wanted to double check to make sure that we are referring to the same orange line. The one that is used as part of the colored line indicator system is the one at the top of the Timeline. Another orange line in the that area is the Opacity Rubberband which is a vertical orange line that runs through the clip. Please see screenshoot.

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-6023349-536815/450-290/OrangeL ine.JPG

If we are both considering the orange line render indicator, then the orange line over you Timeline content when it is first dragged to the Timeline indicates that we do not have the right project preset according to the program.

The suggested project preset was based on 1080p @ 29.97 progressive frames per second, not 1080i. Could you confirm the following properties of your Timeline video so that we can better understand the factors involved here?

Video compression

Audio compression

Frame size

Frame rate

Interlaced or Progressive

A factor as small as the video frame rate being 30 frames per second instead of 29.97 could cause the program to give that orange line in this case. Or you could be shooting 1080i instead of 1080p. The stress on this type of question is to obtain information that would give us the best possible project settings as a base for judging factors involved in the quality of the export.

Please review and then we can decide how to proceed.

Thanks for the follow ups. Much appreciated.

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6023349#6023349

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6023349#6023349

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6023349#6023349. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 12. Re: How do I improve the quality of DVD's produced from AVCHD edited video?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill

Some times the information can be gotten just from knowing the brand/model/settings for the camera that produced the video.

A very comprehensive video and audio readout can be gotten by the free MediaInfo. There is a version of that for Windows and Mac. But be careful for the choices that you make during download and install to avoid unwanted software included.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

The "Tree View" under its View Menu gives the best representation. This is the best program for determining Scan Type: interlace versus progressive and, if interlaced, Scan Order: Top Field First versus Bottom Field First.

There is also another free utility named gspot which is good for checking out video and audio codec and whether they are present in your computer environment. The Video and Audio fields for Name, Codec, and Status can be very helpful in certain situations.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 13. Re: How do I improve the quality of DVD's produced from AVCHD edited video?
                                  Bill Hurrell Level 1

ATR

I downloaded MediaInfo and had it review one of the video files. A great program!  Here is the result.  Also my owners manual for the video camera says that the AVCHD default setting is 60 fields per second, interlaced or 60i.

GeneralID                                       : 0 (0x0)Complete name                            : C:\Users\sfhurrell\Pictures\Adobe\Jonna & Pat's Wedding\00032.MTSFormat                                   : BDAVFormat/Info                              : Blu-ray VideoFile size                                : 1.91 GiBDuration                                 : 11mn 20sOverall bit rate mode                    : VariableOverall bit rate                         : 24.0 MbpsMaximum Overall bit rate                 : 24.0 Mbps

VideoID                                       : 4113 (0x1011)Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)Format                                   : AVCFormat/Info                              : Advanced Video CodecFormat profile                           : High@L4.0Format settings, CABAC                   : YesFormat settings, ReFrames                : 2 framesFormat settings, GOP                     : M=3, N=15Codec ID                                 : 27Duration                                 : 11mn 20sBit rate mode                            : VariableBit rate                                 : 22.7 MbpsWidth                                    : 1 920 pixelsHeight                                   : 1 080 pixelsDisplay aspect ratio                     : 16:9Frame rate                               : 29.970 fpsColor space                              : YUVChroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0Bit depth                                : 8 bitsScan type                                : InterlacedScan order                               : Top Field FirstBits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.365Stream size                              : 1.81 GiB (95%)

AudioID                                       : 4352 (0x1100)Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)Format                                   : AC-3Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3Mode extension                           : CM (complete main)Format settings, Endianness              : BigCodec ID                                 : 129Duration                                 : 11mn 20sBit rate mode                            : ConstantBit rate                                 : 256 KbpsChannel(s)                               : 2 channelsChannel positions                        : Front: L RSampling rate                            : 48.0 KHzBit depth                                : 16 bitsCompression mode                         : LossyDelay relative to video                  : -66msStream size                              : 20.8 MiB (1%)

Bill

Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 20:22:53 -0800

Bill

Some times the information can be gotten just from knowing the brand/model/settings for the camera that produced the video.

A very comprehensive video and audio readout can be gotten by the free MediaInfo. There is a version of that for Windows and Mac. But be careful for the choices that you make during download and install to avoid unwanted software included.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

The "Tree View" under its View Menu gives the best representation. This is the best program for determining Scan Type: interlace versus progressive and, if interlaced, Scan Order: Top Field First versus Bottom Field First.

There is also another free utility named gspot which is good for checking out video and audio codec and whether they are present in your computer environment. The Video and Audio fields for Name, Codec, and Status can be very helpful in certain situations.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6025751#6025751

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6025751#6025751

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6025751#6025751. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 14. Re: How do I improve the quality of DVD's produced from AVCHD edited video?
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill

Thanks. The MediaInfo properties readout for your source files was very helpful. Based on that report, the project preset that I suggested earlier for your project is not consistent with what you actually have.

From the MediaInfo data

1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second, with Scan Order: Top Field First.

The principle to focus on here to look for a better end product is this. Your source is interlaced video with Scan Order Top Field First. The DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc that you will produced is characterized by 29.97 interlaced frames per second but with a Scan Order: Bottom Field First. So, we are going for a better end result by making the import and export Scan Order: Bottom Field First by assuring thta the import is used with Scan Order: Bottom Field First.

We can do that two ways:

1. Set the project with the project preset = NTSC/AVCHD/Full HD1080i30 and, after importing the file into the project and to the Timeline, right click the Timeline file, select Field Options and then Reverse Field Dominance.

OR

2. Set the project with the special project preset that reverses the field dominance for you automatically. In this case, do not apply Field Options Reverse Field Dominance when you get the video on the Timeline. For this route, set the project preset = NTSC/Hard Disk Flash Memory

Camcorders/Full HD 1080i30.

Determine if either of the above affects the end product quality.

In addition, while you are do "1", you could explore the use of "Always Deinterlace" and/or "Flicker Removal" (also listed under Field Options and accessed by right clicking the Timeline video).

Thanks for checking out these suggestions.

ATR

Add On...In each case, you probably want to set the project preset manually via File Menu/New/Project. Before exiting the final dialog, make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". Then back in the Premiere Elements Expert workspace, import your video via Add Media/Files and Folder/Project Assets from where the video is dragged to the Timeline.

• 15. Re: How do I improve the quality of DVD's produced from AVCHD edited video?
                                      Bill Hurrell Level 1

ATR:

I tried out both options over the weekend.  I really did not see any difference in the results.  I also tried the Always Deinterlace feature with option 1.  Again I didn't notice any real difference.  I have not had time to try "flicker removal".   I notice that with option 1 when I right clicked on the timeline to select Reverse Field Dominance that orange line appeared above the timeline.  Option 2 did not have the orange line.  

Bill

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 17:00:35 -0800

Bill

Thanks. The MediaInfo properties readout for your source files was very helpful. Based on that report, the project preset that I suggested earlier for your project is not consistent with what you actually have.

From the MediaInfo data

1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second, with Scan Order: Top Field First.

The principle to focus on here to look for a better end product is this. Your source is interlaced video with Scan Order Top Field First. The DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc that you will produced is characterized by 29.97 interlaced frames per second but with a Scan Order: Bottom Field First. So, we are going for a better end result by making the import and export Scan Order: Bottom Field First by assuring thta the import is used with Scan Order: Bottom Field First.

We can do that two ways:

1. Set the project with the project preset = NTSC/AVCHD/Full HD1080i30 and, after importing the file into the project and to the Timeline, right click the Timeline file, select Field Options and then Reverse Field Dominance.

OR

2. Set the project with the special project preset that reverses the field dominance for you automatically. In this case, do not apply Field Options Reverse Field Dominance when you get the video on the Timeline. For this route, set the project preset = NTSC/Hard Disk Flash Memory

Camcorders/Full HD 1080i30.

Determine if either of the above affects the end product quality.

In addition, while you are do "1", you could explore the use of "Always Deinterlace" and/or "Flicker Removal" (also listed under Field Options and accessed by right clicking the Timeline video).

Thanks for checking out these suggestions.

ATR

Add On...In each case, you probably want to set the project preset manually via File Menu/New/Project. Before exiting the final dialog, make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". Then back in the Premiere Elements Expert workspace, import your video via Add Media/Files and Folder/Project Assets from where the video is dragged to the Timeline.

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6042546#6042546

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6042546#6042546

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6042546#6042546. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.