9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2014 8:43 AM by the_wine_snob

Open Project in PE9 takes a long time

dyl83

Does anyone know why PE9 project files can take 10-15 minutes to load?

I have a 4 minute video I'm half way through editing.  Every time i open my project it quickly shows 100% on the open project progress bar, but this can take 10-15 minutes to disappear and let me get to my files.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Open Project in PE9 takes a long time
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It could be any number of factors.

What is your operating system? What processor do you have and how much RAM?

If you are on a Windows computer, have you manually gone to Windows Update and ensured you have enabled Microsoft Updates -- and have you downloaded all of the updates, including the non-critical updates that don't install automatically?

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it? How many video clips are in your project?

What are your project settings, as listed under the Edit menu? If your project settings are matched correctly to your video, you will NOT see red lines along the top of your timeline above your clips in Timeline mode. Is this the case in your project?

• 2. Re: Open Project in PE9 takes a long time
            the_wine_snob Level 9

dly83,

Welcome to the forum.

1. Can you tell us more about your computer, and especially the I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's, their speed, their controller type, and how you have them allocated?
            2. What is your Project Setting?
            3. What are the specs. of your media files?

The main reason for asking about the I/O is that when media files, or Scratch Disks are on an external, or networked drive, Projects can be very slow to load.

What you are experiencing is much too slow - though the first time that a Project is Opened, after booting up, is not super fast. I find that PrE gets quicker, after that initial launch, and Project Opening, for the day.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Open Project in PE9 takes a long time
              the_wine_snob Level 9

It appears that Steve G. has some of the same questions, that I do, but types faster.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Open Project in PE9 takes a long time
                dyl83 Level 1

Apologies - it was a rather vague post!

Win 7

Networked (it's a high school project) - files are on a server

4GB Ram

A fair few clips in the project (this was one of my thoughts about length of time, although other students have much less time to wait for the same number of clips)

Clips are all MP4; shot on a Sony Handycam in SD (720x576)

Scratch Disks are on a Networked Drive.

I did think it was the network issue that's causing the problem, but as I say, other students are able to open their files quite quickly for the same type of project.

• 6. Re: Open Project in PE9 takes a long time
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

>Networked (it's a high school project) - files are on a server

I think this is definitely your problem. I know that doesn't explain why some people are able to open their projects faster, but it explains why yours open so slowly.

That and that fact that you're editing MP4s, which, depending on the codec at work, can challenge the program more than other formats. Particularly in version 9, which was not optimized for H.264 video.

Try starting a new project. Just as an experiment, save your project file and any media files to your computer's hard drive. When you close it and then re-open it, it should open pretty quickly.

• 7. Re: Open Project in PE9 takes a long time
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

In agreement with Steve, regarding the networked drive.

A difference in load time, when the Project, and its media files are on a networked drive, user to user, will be highly dependent on the amount of media in the Project, plus the network traffic at that moment. If one has a lot of media, and the networked drive is being accessed by others, it WILL be slow.

I found that even with a Dual-Gigabit NAS, my load times were very long, and the editing to/from that NAS was painful for me. After a few attempts, I decided that my NAS would ONLY be used to archive media, and not used in my editing layout. Perhaps a screaming opticlal network would be better, but I do not have one to test. In my case, everything was Copied to an internal HDD, and the speed increase for every aspect increased dramatically. In you case, with an academic setting, you do not likely have that leisure, so patience will be part of the gameplan.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                    • 8. Re: Open Project in PE9 takes a long time
                      dyl83 Level 1

Thanks so much for the quick feedback - I am staggered by both the speed and helpfulness of people's responses.

The set-up of the network doesn't allow for internal HDD access, unfortunately - or at least, so I'm told by the powers that be who manage it.  PE9 doesn't seem to allow using removable media to store clips or project files, so that's not an option I can consider as an alternative.

We will have to press on as we were, for the time being.  Many thanks, again, for the responses.

• 9. Re: Open Project in PE9 takes a long time
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

PE9 doesn't seem to allow using removable media to store clips or project files, so that's not an option I can consider as an alternative.

In the case of a networked (academic environment in your case), it is not a limitation of PrE 9, but of the setup of the computers.

Networks, of various configurations, can be a real challenge, in, and of themselves.

I migrate Projects in PrE 4, with externals, just as I do with PrE 11 (do not have PrE 9), with no issues. The trick is to set the external to the same Drive Letter, in the OS of each computer, so that it is seen as, say X:\ in each machine's OS. Works like a charm. However, you likely do not have full Administrator permissions/privileges on the computer, so no ability to set up Drive Letters, etc..

Good luck, and happy (albeit slow) editing.

Hunt