11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2014 2:00 PM by A.T. Romano

Message "Media Offline"

Vitalshot

I saved a project. I opened it today to resume working on it. Only some of my clips are visible on the timeline. The others are grayed out. I have a message that says "Media Offline". What does this mean?

• 1. Re: Message "Media Offline"
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Vitalshot

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

Where are your project's source media stored?

The Media Offline means you have a disconnect between the media that you imported into the project after you saved/closed the project.

This can happen if you move or delete media or name the folder that the media are in after you save close the project. It can also happen if the source media is stored on an external hard drive and that external hard drive for some reason changes drive letter.

Are you getting "Where is the file.....?" message? If so and you know for sure where the files are, then use these message to reconnect the media to the project. Alternatively you can use the program's Replace Footage to do this job.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-replace-footage.html

Please review and determine what of the above is applicable to your situation.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Message "Media Offline"
            Buddycat Level 1

How long did you let the editing window stay open?   I've found that sometimes I have to wait a minute or two before the videos start filling in.  

• 3. Re: Message "Media Offline"
              Vitalshot Level 1

Thank you A.T.

I have version 11 and Windows 7.

I have my media on my computer, and external hard drives

I did get the message "wheres the file"? I searched for them and reconnected them. I was then able to view all the clips on the timeline except 2. I added them back into the timeline. Do I have to do this every time I want to resume working on this project? I have thousands of clips. Why wont it save my work completely?

• 4. Re: Message "Media Offline"
                Vitalshot Level 1

A very long time. Over an hour. Very small clips.

• 5. Re: Message "Media Offline"
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are using external HDD's, this Tips & Tricks article should be able to help you, so that you do not have to relink:  http://forums.adobe.com/message/5880839#5880839

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Message "Media Offline"
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Here are a couple of articles that might give you some useful background on the issues of unlinked media:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4598705#4598705

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3561281#3561281

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Message "Media Offline"
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Vitalshot

Thanks for the update.

When you reconnected the media via the "Where is the file.....?" messages, were the missing media from the internal hard drive (Local Disc C) or from the external hard drive or both?

After you opened the project, corrected the missing media situation, saved closed the project, did the same missing media situation occur when you opened this project again?

Answers to the above will direct our next troubleshooting step(s).

Also, make sure to observe the drive letter of the external hard drive before and after you open this Premiere Elements project.

Let us see what all of the above tells us.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...is the external drive formatted NTFS or FAT32?

By the way, this missing media syndrome is not a "wait for the program to work" situation. It is a media reconnect to project issue where the project media need to be reconnected to the project and the cause of the problem identify and corrected.

• 8. Re: Message "Media Offline"
                        Vitalshot Level 1

Media came from my external hard drive labeled as G

After I reconnected media and saved it again, I also copied it , it still happened again.

Missing media files are NTSF and MP4. But so are the rest of my clips. Will importing this external drive to my internal drive correct this problem?

• 9. Re: Message "Media Offline"
                          Vitalshot Level 1

I could have supplied clips to the timeline from both my internal drive C and external drive G. Don't remember exactly where they all are.

• 10. Re: Message "Media Offline"
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Is that external HDD *always* seen by the OS as G:\. Unless you manually assign it a Drive Letter, Windows will dynamically assign it the next Drive Letter, whatever that is, and the links will be broken, as they are absolute Paths.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Message "Media Offline"
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Vitalshot

Let us be sure that the issue is not just confined to one particular project and let us see if we can implicate the external drive (its drive letter or other property of it) in this problem..

Open a new project and import a few of the same media (from those that are going missing from the original project). This is going to be the same media that is being saved on that external hard drive. Save close this project. When you reopen it. Do you get the missing media messages?

If so, close the program. Go to the external hard drive and move the "few files" mentioned to Videos on Local Disk C.

Open this latest project which we saved closed. You are sure to get missing media messages. Reconnect the media that will be in Videos to the project. Save close the project. Restart the computer.

Reopen the project. Do you still get the missing media messages?

After that we can decide what needs to be done.

Thanks.

ATR