31 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2014 5:16 PM by A.T. Romano Branched to a new discussion.

Jerky Video

Pompey

I get jerky out-of-sync video always in Premier Elements 12, but never in Windows Media Player.

• 1. Re: Jerky Video
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

More information needed for someone to help... please click below and provide the requested information

-Premiere Elements FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180

Jerky or slow playback http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1071217

• 2. Re: Jerky Video
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Pompey

Specifically....

a. What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on?

b. What are the properties of what you are importing into its project...video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, pixel aspect ratio, brand/model/settings for camera that recorded the video?

c. What project preset are you or the program setting to match the properties of those videos that you are importing into the project?

d. When you import your video and drag it to the Expert workspace Timeline for the first time, is there an orange line at the top of the Timeline (area above the video)? If so, are you rendering and looking at the rendered Timeline content (to do that, press the Enter key of the computer main keyboard or click on the Render button above the Timeline? The orange line should turn green when the rendering is completed.

Answers to all of the above questions specific to your situation should help us to help you resolve the issue.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Jerky Video
              Pompey Level 1

Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 11:42:30 -0800

To: keithparkersmith@hotmail.com

Subject: Jerky Video

Hi ATR,The product is Adobe Premier Elements 12.OS: Windows 7 (latest updates) Intel Pentium 4400 2.2 GHZ, 800 MHz FSBIntel GMA 4500M   up to 1695 MB DVMT  (There is no mention of dual core. I don't know anything about processors.)4 GB RAM Format: AVCHD 1920 x 1080;   data rate 23786 kbps;   total bitrate:  24042 kbps  29 fps from a Canon AVCHD MXP (Apparently that term is used only by Canon; you can choose MXP or FXP; FXP is said to be 1440 x 1080.)Type of File: AVCHD Video (.MTS)interlaced or progressive?     Not sure, but eight years ago I bought a 1080i TV that weighed 155 pounds. This is a new camera, so my guess is "progressive". Project Preset: I just bought this app a few hours ago, so all I've done so far was to open files from Files & Folders, and try to play them. Maybe it's the default setting. I can't even get AVI from the computer's webcam to work.    Orange Line: I went into Expert mode, dragged a video into the Timeline, and it instantly turned green. There was no orange line.

I'm puzzled, since the performance in Windows Media Player is perfect. Thanks a lot for your fast response.         

Re: Jerky Video

created by A.T. Romano in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

Pompey

Specifically....

a. What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on?

b. What are the properties of what you are importing into its project...video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, pixel aspect ratio, brand/model/settings for camera that recorded the video?

c. What project preset are you or the program setting to match the properties of those videos that you are importing into the project?

d. When you import your video and drag it to the Expert workspace Timeline for the first time, is there an orange line at the top of the Timeline (area above the video)? If so, are you rendering and looking at the rendered Timeline content (to do that, press the Enter key of the computer main keyboard or click on the Render button above the Timeline? The orange line should turn green when the rendering is completed.

Answers to all of the above questions specific to your situation should help us to help you resolve the issue.

Thanks.

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6003441#6003441

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6003441#6003441

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6003441#6003441. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416458?tstart=0.

• 4. Re: Jerky Video
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Read Play -VS- Edit http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1066154

>can't even get AVI from the computer's webcam to work

The question would be what is INSIDE the webcam file?

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside to read -read both links in reply #1 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for screen shot instructions

For PC http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en or http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may also help

-has links to the FAQ/TIPS pages

• 5. Re: Jerky Video
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Pompey

Thanks for the helpful information. Still some confirmation on the details needed, let us see what we can do.

Premiere Elements 12 Windows 7 (assumed a 64 bit computer). If you know otherwise from checking computer please let us know.

After you import your video from the Canon into the Premiere Elements project, please tell us what "Properties" gives for frame size, frame rate, and pixel aspect ratio after you right click the video thumbnail in Project Assets and select Properties.

Right now I am thinking that you have an AVCHD.mts files (1920 x 1080 16:9). I am still not sure if that is interlaced or progressive video, but the information requested will rule out the possibility that you are using 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 at 29.97 interlaced frames per second.

All this will make a difference for us when we go to set the project preset that I will suggest for use. Also, please supply any information you can about brand/model/settings on the camera. That may help in defining the properties of the video being used here.

Let us see if we can clear away the Canon issue before working on the webcam .avi video. There we will go through the same type of drill where we need to know the properties of that video...video compression, audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, pixel aspect ratio. There are a lot of .avi type videos, each with a different video compression which can be introduce compatibility factors.

Please review. Do the best you can. And, we will work through this.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Jerky Video
                    Pompey Level 1

Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 14:40:44 -0800

Hi ATR,      Yes, the videos are all AVCHD.mts files (1920 x 1080 16:9), except for a few low resolution ones that I made with the Acer Crystal Eye webcam that are 640 x 480 .avi, 15 fps. Both types have the same jerky out-of-sync motion.      The previous specs on the computer were from a sticker next to the keyboard. Here's what I got when I  right-clicked Computer and went to Properties. The processor is a Pentium (R) Dual-Core T4400 @2.20GHz 2.2Ghz, and 64-bit OS.           The camera is the Canon Vixia HF300, and the videos are stored on a Lexar Platinum ll 16 GB SDHC Class 10 200x card. The playback on the camera is always perfect. Next I insert the card into the computer, and select from the popup "Import pictures and videos using Windows Live Photo Gallery". There's never a problem viewing them in Windows Media Player.      This info is from an online forum, not Canon: MXP is 1920 x 1080, and FXP is 1440 x 1080. I always use AVCHD MXP. Canan rates this format as the highest quality.        When I check video Properties, I get 1920 x 1080, 29 fps, data rate 24003 kbps, and total bitrate 24259 kbps. Thanks for your fast response,Pompey

Pompey

Thanks for the helpful information. Still some confirmation on the details needed, let us see what we can do.

Premiere Elements 12 Windows 7 (assumed a 64 bit computer). If you know otherwise from checking computer please let us know.

After you import your video from the Canon into the Premiere Elements project, please tell us what "Properties" gives for frame size, frame rate, and pixel aspect ratio after you right click the video thumbnail in Project Assets and select Properties.

Right now I am thinking that you have an AVCHD.mts files (1920 x 1080 16:9). I am still not sure if that is interlaced or progressive video, but the information requested will rule out the possibility that you are using 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 at 29.97 interlaced frames per second.

All this will make a difference for us when we go to set the project preset that I will suggest for use. Also, please supply any information you can about brand/model/settings on the camera. That may help in defining the properties of the video being used here.

Let us see if we can clear away the Canon issue before working on the webcam .avi video. There we will go through the same type of drill where we need to know the properties of that video...video compression, audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, pixel aspect ratio. There are a lot of .avi type videos, each with a different video compression which can be introduce compatibility factors.

Thanks.

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6003778#6003778

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6003778#6003778

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6003778#6003778. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416458?tstart=0.

• 7. Re: Jerky Video
                      Pompey Level 1

To: jive-718638876-1cjn2-2-3kojm@mail.forums.adobe.com

Subject: RE: Jerky Video

Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 20:27:47 -0400

Hi ATR, Here's an update to my previous email. This is info from my Canon Vixia menus, in the camera itself, that does not appear when you right-click Properties on a video thumbnail. Options for AVCHD movies: 60i (Standard) 60 fields per second, interlaced. Standard frame rate of NTSC analog signals; PF30 shooting at 30 frames per second, progressive; PF24 24 fps for cinematic effect. The default setting is 60i, and this is what I've used for all of my videos. So I'm very surprised to learn that my videos are 60 frames per second interlaced. Also, I went to Adobe Premier Elements 12 / File / New / Project and found that I had been using the setting NTSC-AVCHD-Full HD 1080i 30. Now it seems that when the files were imported from the SD card to Windows Media Player, that there was an automatic conversion from 60 fps to 29 fps. I wonder if they were converted from interlace to progressive or not. I don't see any good matches under Adobe Premier Elements 12 / File / New / Project / Change Settings.      --  Pompey

Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 14:40:44 -0800

Hi ATR,      Yes, the videos are all AVCHD.mts files (1920 x 1080 16:9), except for a few low resolution ones that I made with the Acer Crystal Eye webcam that are 640 x 480 .avi, 15 fps. Both types have the same jerky out-of-sync motion.      The previous specs on the computer were from a sticker next to the keyboard. Here's what I got when I  right-clicked Computer and went to Properties. The processor is a Pentium (R) Dual-Core T4400 @2.20GHz 2.2Ghz, and 64-bit OS.           The camera is the Canon Vixia HF300, and the videos are stored on a Lexar Platinum ll 16 GB SDHC Class 10 200x card. The playback on the camera is always perfect. Next I insert the card into the computer, and select from the popup "Import pictures and videos using Windows Live Photo Gallery". There's never a problem viewing them in Windows Media Player.      This info is from an online forum, not Canon: MXP is 1920 x 1080, and FXP is 1440 x 1080. I always use AVCHD MXP. Canan rates this format as the highest quality.        When I check video Properties, I get 1920 x 1080, 29 fps, data rate 24003 kbps, and total bitrate 24259 kbps. Thanks for your fast response,Pompey

Pompey

Thanks.

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6003778#6003778

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6003778#6003778

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6003778#6003778. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 8. Re: Jerky Video
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Pompey

Let us start with ust the Canon video. From what you wrote, that is going to be either

1920 x 1080 60i which is 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97/30 interlaced frames per second

or

1920 x 1080 24p which is 1920 x 1080 @ 24 progressive frames per second

or

1920 x 1080 30p which is 1920 x 1080 @ 30 progressive frames per second

Import one of the Canon video clips into Premiere Elements 12, let the program select the project preset based on the first drag of that video to the Expert workspace to the Timeline. Then gather the following information and report the findings in your thread

a. When you drag the video to the Timeline for the first time is there an orange line over the Timeline content (this is orange line is not the orange line that runs horizontally across the video clip's middle...this is the orange line at the top of Timeline above the area where the clip is placed.

b. Go to Project Assets and right click the thumbnail for the file there to get the pop up which includes Properties. What does it show in Properties for frame size and frame rate?

c. Go to Project Assets and right click the thumbnail for the file there to get the pop up which includes Interpret Footage. What do you see in Interpret Footage for the frame rate being recognized?

d. Go to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and see what it shows for Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size.

Looking forward to your findings which we will use to try for the best possible project settings which would hopefully get rid of your project jerky video issue.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...Also, in preparation for the webcam video troubleshooting, see if you can find out what the video compression is being used by the webcam in conjunction with the .avi file extension and file size of 640 x 480.

• 9. Re: Jerky Video
                          Pompey Level 1

Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 12:20:10 -0800

Hi ATR,  I called up the files from Windows Media Player, as before.

AVCHD:a. orange line over the Timeline content: Yes.b. Image Size: 1920 x 1080; Frame Rate: 29.97c. Use Frame Rate from File: 29.9700d.  Edit/Project Settings/General and see what it shows for Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size; Editing Mode: HD 1080i; Timebase: 29.97 frames/second; Frame Size: 1920 horizontal & 1080 vertical. AVI:a. orange line over the Timeline content: Yes.b. Image Size: 640 x 480; Frame Rate: 15.00c. Use Frame Rate from File: 29.9700d.  Edit/Project Settings/General and see what it shows for Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size; Editing Mode: HD 1080i; Timebase: 29.97 frames/second; Frame Size: 1920 horizontal & 1080 vertical.In the .avi, there are discrepancies in the frame size the frame rate.

Thanks for your fast response, -- Pompey

Pompey

Let us start with ust the Canon video. From what you wrote, that is going to be either

1920 x 1080 60i which is 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97/30 interlaced frames per second

or

1920 x 1080 24p which is 1920 x 1080 @ 24 progressive frames per second

or

1920 x 1080 30p which is 1920 x 1080 @ 30 progressive frames per second

Import one of the Canon video clips into Premiere Elements 12, let the program select the project preset based on the first drag of that video to the Expert workspace to the Timeline. Then gather the following information and report the findings in your thread

a. When you drag the video to the Timeline for the first time is there an orange line over the Timeline content (this is orange line is not the orange line that runs horizontally across the video clip's middle...this is the orange line at the top of Timeline above the area where the clip is placed.

b. Go to Project Assets and right click the thumbnail for the file there to get the pop up which includes Properties. What does it show in Properties for frame size and frame rate?

c. Go to Project Assets and right click the thumbnail for the file there to get the pop up which includes Interpret Footage. What do you see in Interpret Footage for the frame rate being recognized?

d. Go to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and see what it shows for Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size.

Looking forward to your findings which we will use to try for the best possible project settings which would hopefully get rid of your project jerky video issue.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...Also, in preparation for the webcam video troubleshooting, see if you can find out what the video compression is being used by the webcam in conjunction with the .avi file extension and file size of 640 x 480.

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6005598#6005598

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6005598#6005598

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6005598#6005598. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 10. Re: Jerky Video
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Pompey

Let us try this first. Involves only the Canon footage.

Open a new Premiere Elements 12 project. When the Expert workspace opens, go to File Menu/New/Project and set the project preset for

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

Before you exit the final dialog in that area, be sure to have a check mark next to "Force Seletected Project Setting on This Project".

When you are back in the Expert workspace, use Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag your video to the Timeline.

a. Is there an orange line at the top of the Timeline over the area of the video on Video 1?

b. If that specific orange line is present, then hit the Enter key of the computer main keyboard or the Render button above the Timeline. The orange line should then turn green when the rendering process is completed. Is the play back of that "rendered" Timeline, now playing any smoother in the Edit Mode monitor.

Stop here and let us know the results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Jerky Video
                              Pompey Level 1

Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 18:45:46 -0800

Hi ATR,      Success! Thank you very much! You are truly adept. For a while I thought that I would have to buy a new computer. Now I'm ready for the .avi clips from the Acer Crystal Eye webcam. I tried to get the compression rate that you requested, but I don't know how to find the specs.-- Pompey

Pompey

Let us try this first. Involves only the Canon footage.

Open a new Premiere Elements 12 project. When the Expert workspace opens, go to File Menu/New/Project and set the project preset for

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

Before you exit the final dialog in that area, be sure to have a check mark next to "Force Seletected Project Setting on This Project".

When you are back in the Expert workspace, use Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag your video to the Timeline.

a. Is there an orange line at the top of the Timeline over the area of the video on Video 1?

b. If that specific orange line is present, then hit the Enter key of the computer main keyboard or the Render button above the Timeline. The orange line should then turn green when the rendering process is completed. Is the play back of that "rendered" Timeline, now playing any smoother in the Edit Mode monitor.

Thanks.

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6006287#6006287

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6006287#6006287

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6006287#6006287. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 12. Re: Jerky Video
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Pompey

We are going to explore the results when only the webcam video is used in a Premiere Elements 12 set to project settings specific for it.

If that is successfully, the plan to to set up a Premiere Elements 12 with both video formats in a project with one project preset that will allow for each present to its best advantage.

Premiere Elements and your 640 x 480 webcam video

1. Open a new project and set the project preset manually (File Menu/New/Project - remember the "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project")

NTSC

FLIP

Flip Mino and Ultra 29_97p

Then in the Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace, import your webcam video using Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag this video to the Timeline. Then as I wrote before

Great job with the Canon footage.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: Jerky Video
                                  Pompey Level 1

Hi ATR,       I tried Flip Mino and Ultra 29_97p, and also the following:Flip Mino and Ultra 30pFlip Mino HD and Ultra HD 29_97pFlip Mino HD and Ultra HD 30pMobile Devices / ipod, QVGA, Sub-QCIFDSLR 1080p 24DSLR 1080p 30I carefully remembered  "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project" in each instance.

-- Pompey 

Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 13:26:50 -0800

Pompey

We are going to explore the results when only the webcam video is used in a Premiere Elements 12 set to project settings specific for it.

If that is successfully, the plan to to set up a Premiere Elements 12 with both video formats in a project with one project preset that will allow for each present to its best advantage.

Premiere Elements and your 640 x 480 webcam video

1. Open a new project and set the project preset manually (File Menu/New/Project - remember the "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project")

NTSC

FLIP

Then in the Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace, import your webcam video using Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag this video to the Timeline. Then as I wrote before

Great job with the Canon footage.

Thanks.

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6008866#6008866

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6008866#6008866

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6008866#6008866. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 14. Re: Jerky Video
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Pompey

With the webcam video, are you saying that you tried these suggestions before and they did not work? Or, you just tried them and they did not work?

Please clarify.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: Jerky Video
                                      Pompey Level 1

Hi ATR,      I tried them all about an hour ago, based on your recommendation to try Flip Mino and Ultra 29_97p. I thought I'd try a few more, but none of them worked. Thanks for your fast response, --- Pompey

Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 15:57:25 -0800

Pompey

With the webcam video, are you saying that you tried these suggestions before and they did not work? Or, you just tried them and they did not work?

Please clarify.

Thanks.

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6009424#6009424

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6009424#6009424

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6009424#6009424. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 16. Re: Jerky Video
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Pompey

Thanks for the follow ups.

So, are you confirming that the Canon video by itself is OK, but the webcam video by itself is not OK.

If that is the case, then let us try to get more information about the webcam video. I am especially interested in the video compression and audio compression.

Is it possible for you to download and install the free utility named gspot and run your video through it to get a readout for

Video ....  codec  name  status

Audio ....  codec  name  status

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html

Depending on the findings, we can decide whether to try to convert the video format into another or if there is some way to deal with what is.

Thank you.

ATR

• 17. Re: Jerky Video
                                          Pompey Level 1

Hi ATR,Here's the GSpot readout:

ContainerFile Length CorrectOpenDML Video 128 MB Audio 2.55 MB AVI Overhead: 241 KB

AudioCodec: PCM AudioInfo: 44100Hz 1411 kb/s tot

Len: 0:14.664Frms: 220kbps: 73741Qf: 16.000Pic/s: 15.003Frames/s: 15.003pic [wx:  640 x 480sar: 1.333 par: 1.000 dar: 1.333

I clicked some buttons at the bottom of the GSpot window, and the app crashed.

-- Pompey

Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 18:27:48 -0800

Pompey

Thanks for the follow ups.

So, are you confirming that the Canon video by itself is OK, but the webcam video by itself is not OK.

If that is the case, then let us try to get more information about the webcam video. I am especially interested in the video compression and audio compression.

Is it possible for you to download and install the free utility named gspot and run your video through it to get a readout for

Video ....  codec  name  status

Audio ....  codec  name  status

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html

Depending on the findings, we can decide whether to try to convert the video format into another or if there is some way to deal with what is.

Thank you.

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6009686#6009686

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6009686#6009686

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6009686#6009686. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 18. Re: Jerky Video
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Pompey

Thanks for the download, install, and looking for the video and audio codec for your webcam video.

But, we are but a detail away and that detail did not seem to make it into your last post.

The gspot dialog looks as follows.

gspot.JPG

Please look to the top right of that dialog where its sasy Video. The next row say Codec and Name. And, the row below that gives Status. What I am after are what it say for

Codec

Name

Status

for your webcam video.

Could you give that another look if the program will stay open for a few seconds?

Thanks.

ATR

• 19. Re: Jerky Video
                                              Pompey Level 1

Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 20:23:24 -0800

Hi ATR,No problem, I did a screen shot before it crashed, so I don't have to launch the app again.  Codec:   YUY2Name:   YUV packed 4:2:2Status:   No Codec Required

-- Pompey

Pompey

Thanks for the download, install, and looking for the video and audio codec for your webcam video.

But, we are but a detail away and that detail did not seem to make it into your last post.

The gspot dialog looks as follows.

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-6009967-534671/450-453/gspot.J PG

Please look to the top right of that dialog where its sasy Video. The next row say Codec and Name. And, the row below that gives Status. What I am after are what it say for

Codec

Name

Status

for your webcam video.

Could you give that another look if the program will stay open for a few seconds?

Thanks.

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6009967#6009967

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6009967#6009967

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6009967#6009967. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 20. Re: Jerky Video
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Pompey

Thanks for the information on what the webcam is using for video compression with that .avi file extension. According to your gspot readout, it is YUY2 and no codec required.

After you have been importing this video into the suggested Premiere Elements project settings, could you add anything more to the description of the playback other than jerky.

What does the playback look like if my suggested project for this video (See post numbered 12) is exported as a file such as AVCHD.mp4 (640 x 480 @ 29.97/30 progressive frames per second) via

NTSC

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = Vimeo SD

More on this in the morning.

ATR

• 21. Re: Jerky Video
                                                  Pompey Level 1

Hi ATR,I haven't tried your suggestion yet, because I can't find these settings under New Project / Change Settings. Whenever I play the webcam clips, the playback is slow and jerky. It's like a movie that plays at 1 fps, then speeds up to 10 fps, then slows down, and never makes it all the way to 30 fps. When it freezes, it's only for about one or two seconds. Meanwhile the audio continues normally, which puts it way out of sync. --Pompey

Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 21:48:06 -0800

From: forums_noreply@adobe.com

Pompey

Thanks for the information on what the webcam is using for video compression with that .avi file extension. According to your gspot readout, it is YUY2 and no codec required.

After you have been importing this video into the suggested Premiere Elements project settings, could you add anything more to the description of the playback other than jerky.

What does the playback look like if my suggested project for this video (See post numbered 12) is exported as a file such as AVCHD.mp4 (640 x 480 @ 29.97/30 progressive frames per second) via

NTSC

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = Vimeo SD

More on this in the morning.

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6010101#6010101

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6010101#6010101

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6010101#6010101. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 22. Re: Jerky Video
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Pompey

I thought that you have tried to import the webcam video and then check out its playback in Edit. From what you wrote, you have not done that yet because you could not find the project preset that I suggested. Is that correct?

If so, here is a screenshot of the new project dialog in which you should be doing the manual project preset set for

webcampreset.JPG

Please let me know if I read you latest message correctly.

From what you wrote that webcam video has a frame rate of 15 frames per second, presumedly 15 progressive frames per second.

For now, let us know if the suggested project preset improves the situation, leaves it the same, or makes it worse. Then we will target the frame rate next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 23. Re: Jerky Video
                                                      Pompey Level 1

Hi ATR,Yes, I couldn't find it, but now I have it, & I changed the setting to Flip Mino and Ultra 29_97p. I remembered to tick "Force selected Project Setting on this project" and I remembered to Render. Now I've taken a closer look at the webcam clip. The description that I gave in the last post pertained to the Canon footage, which I thought was the same as the webcam problem. The webcam footage seems different. The video starts a few seconds ahead of the audio, and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the video. The cursor with the red line that is supposed to move through the the Timeline is frozen, yet the video and audio continue, all the way to the end of the clip.Thanks for your fast response, --- Pompey

Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 15:39:04 -0800

Pompey

I thought that you have tried to import the webcam video and then check out its playback in Edit. From what you wrote, you have not done that yet because you could not find the project preset that I suggested. Is that correct?

If so, here is a screenshot of the new project dialog in which you should be doing the manual project preset set for

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-6013272-535064/450-474/webcamp reset.JPG

Please let me know if I read you latest message correctly.

From what you wrote that webcam video has a frame rate of 15 frames per second, presumedly 15 progressive frames per second.

For now, let us know if the suggested project preset improves the situation, leaves it the same, or makes it worse. Then we will target the frame rate next.

Thanks.

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6013272#6013272

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6013272#6013272

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6013272#6013272. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 24. Re: Jerky Video
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Pompey

Before going further, could you give me a recap on your videos...

Canon

1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second

webcam

640 x 480 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second

If other than that please let me know now since next step is going to be one new project with video from Canon and webcam included.

Important...how are you envisioning the export

a. As a 640 x 480 project with 1920 x 1080 scaled to fit the 640 x 480 project

or

b. 1920 x 1080 with 640 x 480 scaled up to fit 1920 x 1080 (scaling up is likely to lead to pixelation)

or

c. 1920 x 1080 with 640 x 480 left as is and two or three of them presented as cameos in a frame.

or

d. Other

More later.

ATR

• 25. Re: Jerky Video
                                                          Pompey Level 1

Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 16:54:17 -0800

Hi ATR,I plan to split it into three projects:1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second exported to YouTube1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second exported to Blu-Ray640 x 480 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second exported to Blu-rayThe Canon footage and the webcam footage will not be on the same disc.Thanks for your fast response,-- Pompey

Pompey

Before going further, could you give me a recap on your videos...

Canon

1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second

webcam

640 x 480 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second

If other than that please let me know now since next step is going to be one new project with video from Canon and webcam included.

Important...how are you envisioning the export

a. As a 640 x 480 project with 1920 x 1080 scaled to fit the 640 x 480 project

or

b. 1920 x 1080 with 640 x 480 scaled up to fit 1920 x 1080 (scaling up is likely to lead to pixelation)

or

c. 1920 x 1080 with 640 x 480 left as is and two or three of them presented as cameos in a frame.

or

d. Other

More later.

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6013546#6013546

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6013546#6013546

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6013546#6013546. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 26. Re: Jerky Video
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Pompey

We should have winners (not so sure about the 640 x 480) based on your prior mini test runs.

Part 1

1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second exported to YouTube

Project Preset =

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @29.97

Export

Publish+Share

Social Websites

YouTube

with Presets = High Definition Video for YouTube 1920 x 1080

(If any problems with this YouTube upload, we will take the Timeline to an AVCHD.mp4 file saved to the computer hard drive and then upload that file to YouTube at the YouTube web site. Details to come on that if necessary.)

Part 2

1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second exported to Blu-Ray

Same project preset as above.

Export

Publish+Share

Disc

Blu-ray

with Presets = H.264 1920 x 1080i NTSC Dolby

Part 3

640 x 480 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second exported to Blu-ray

Project Preset =

NTSC

FLIP

This not a good candidate for Blu-ray

a. Your source is 4:3 and your Blu-ray is going to be 16:9

b. Going from 640 x 480 to 1920 x 1080 is inviting pixelation and distortion by the upscaling.

I need to think about this Part 3 export. Could you settle for this one as a NTSC DVD-VIDEO standard on DVD disc?

Please review and let us know the results for Part 1 and Part 2.

Thank you.

ATR

• 27. Re: Jerky Video
                                                              Pompey Level 1

Hi ATR,I picked Blu-ray for the webcam footage because I figured that the webcam footage at 640 x 480 was .307 megapixels. It is said that DVD is .291 megapixels, and that Blu-ray is 2.074 megapixels. To avoid pixelation and upscaling, I will use DVD.Now for another glitch. When return to a saved project in Premier Elements 12, I don't know how to tick "Force selected Project Setting on this Project". New clips that are added can't be rendered.Thanks a lot for all your work.-- Pompey

Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 21:06:48 -0800

Pompey

We should have winners (not so sure about the 640 x 480) based on your prior mini test runs.

Part 1

Project Preset =

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @29.97

Export

Publish+Share

Social Websites

YouTube

(If any problems with this YouTube upload, we will take the Timeline to an AVCHD.mp4 file saved to the computer hard drive and then upload that file to YouTube at the YouTube web site. Details to come on that if necessary.)

Part 2

Export

Publish+Share

Disc

Blu-ray

Part 3

Project Preset =

NTSC

FLIP

b. Going from 640 x 480 to 1920 x 1080 is inviting pixelation and distortion by the upscaling.

I need to think about this Part 3 export. Could you settle for this one as a NTSC DVD-VIDEO standard on DVD disc?

Thank you.

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6013987#6013987

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6013987#6013987

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6013987#6013987. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 28. Re: Jerky Video
                                                                Pompey Level 1

Hi ATR,Here is another glitch, but just a minor problem. After rendering, the red cursor line freezes when I hit Play. Video and audio work flawlessly while the cursor is motionless. Otherwise, the cursor works well. I can drag it to the left or right, and the frames as it is being dragged are displayed in the big viewer as they should be. I can position it wherever I want, hit Play, and it plays at that spot, but the cursor remains where I left it. The "back" and "forward"  buttons control it the way that I expect. Before rendering, none of this happens. I can get by with this problem, it's just feedback.-- Pompey

From: keithparkersmith@hotmail.com

To: jive-885041203-1cjn2-2-3kwf7@mail.forums.adobe.com

Subject: RE: Jerky Video

Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 11:02:06 -0400

Hi ATR,I picked Blu-ray for the webcam footage because I figured that the webcam footage at 640 x 480 was .307 megapixels. It is said that DVD is .291 megapixels, and that Blu-ray is 2.074 megapixels. To avoid pixelation and upscaling, I will use DVD.Now for another glitch. When return to a saved project in Premier Elements 12, I don't know how to tick "Force selected Project Setting on this Project". New clips that are added can't be rendered.Thanks a lot for all your work.-- Pompey

Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 21:06:48 -0800

Pompey

Part 1

Project Preset =

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @29.97

Export

Publish+Share

Social Websites

YouTube

Part 2

Export

Publish+Share

Disc

Blu-ray

Part 3

Project Preset =

NTSC

FLIP

Thank you.

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6013987#6013987

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6013987#6013987

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6013987#6013987. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 29. Re: Jerky Video
                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Pompey

You wrote

After rendering, the red cursor line freezes when I hit Play. Video and audio work flawlessly while the cursor is motionless.

At the end of the rendering process - orange line turns to green line - you can set preferences to initiate the playback immediately after rendering is completed. Please see:

Edit Menu

Preferences

General

and the option there for "Play workarea after rendering".

Also note in that same place, for HD projects ONLY, you can select

Timeline Render Quality either to

Draft quality, High speed

or

High quality, Slow speed

I am not 100% sure what is happening when you wrote

When return to a saved project in Premier Elements 12, I don't know how to tick "Force selected Project Setting on this Project". New clips that are added can't be rendered.Thanks a lot for all your work.

But, the "Force Selected Project Setting on this Project" is only when you are starting a new project. It is too late to use it for a project that has been saved/closed/reopened.

The "Force Selected Project Setting on this Project" is part of the setting up the project preset for a new project.

If your project settings are not right then best start a new project.

Also, make sure that the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar span the whole content of what you want rendered. Do you need more information on that or are you OK with the how to for that?

Also, on the other matter....

If you have your 640 x 480 set for the FLIP setting that I mentioned, that part should be OK. However, when you get to Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc, just select DVD Dolby DVD and not DVD Widescreen Dolby.

Please review the above and then let me know if I have targeted your questions. If not, please let me know where I have not, and I will rethink and rewrite.

Thanks.

ATR

• 30. Re: Jerky Video
                                                                    Pompey Level 1

Hi ATR,Yes, you are right on track. I shall be able to manage with the good info that you've given. I want to thank you for all the work that you've done, and your skilfull attention to detail.-- Pompey

Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 14:14:02 -0800

Pompey

You wrote

After rendering, the red cursor line freezes when I hit Play. Video and audio work flawlessly while the cursor is motionless.

At the end of the rendering process - orange line turns to green line - you can set preferences to initiate the playback immediately after rendering is completed. Please see:

Edit Menu

Preferences

General

and the option there for "Play workarea after rendering".

Also note in that same place, for HD projects ONLY, you can select

Timeline Render Quality either to

Draft quality, High speed

or

High quality, Slow speed

I am not 100% sure what is happening when you wrote

When return to a saved project in Premier Elements 12, I don't know how to tick "Force selected Project Setting on this Project". New clips that are added can't be rendered.Thanks a lot for all your work.

But, the "Force Selected Project Setting on this Project" is only when you are starting a new project. It is too late to use it for a project that has been saved/closed/reopened.

The "Force Selected Project Setting on this Project" is part of the setting up the project preset for a new project.

If your project settings are not right then best start a new project.

Also, make sure that the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar span the whole content of what you want rendered. Do you need more information on that or are you OK with the how to for that?

Also, on the other matter....

If you have your 640 x 480 set for the FLIP setting that I mentioned, that part should be OK. However, when you get to Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc, just select DVD Dolby DVD and not DVD Widescreen Dolby.

Please review the above and then let me know if I have targeted your questions. If not, please let me know where I have not, and I will rethink and rewrite.

Thanks.

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6016920#6016920

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6016920#6016920

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6016920#6016920. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 31. Re: Jerky Video
                                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Pompey

Thanks for the updates.

The mini test runs beforehand should be a good foundation of the final project.

Best wishes. Please let us know the outcome when you get the time.

ATR