8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2014 11:14 AM by mhollis55

How do I convert a utube video to .flv to put in Flash

magenta141

I have to embed a utube video from the 1960's into a website for my client.  How do I do this.?  I c'ant  seem to access Adobe Media Encoder to convert to .fla.

If I can convert t .fla I can make into a swf file using Flash cs5.

• 1. Re: How do I convert a utube video to .flv to put in Flash
          Mike M Level 6

WHY convert it?
          You can "link" to the YouTube video using embed code on the YouTube page. Then you don't have to use the client's bandwidth.

OR use a downloader like Ant Video Downloader to save the FLV from YouTube and then embed that.  I'd go with the first choice, because it won't cause traffic problems with the host, which it can if it gets enough plays on the site server.

• 2. Re: How do I convert a utube video to .flv to put in Flash
            es73 Level 2

You will also run into problems if you are only presenting an swf for people to view. This will work fine for the majority of desktop computers that will run Flash in their browsers, but the third to half of the prople using tablets or phones to view content will liekly not be able to view the Flash content.

Embedded youTube videos will work across devices, and there wont be a copyright issue.

The alternative is to download the video and convert it to the differet files called for in a an HTML5 video and use that in your site. But i would only fo this if you are the owner of the video in question (or you have specific permission).

• 3. Re: How do I convert a utube video to .flv to put in Flash
              Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Use YouTube's embed code and paste it directly into code view.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/171780?hl=en

Nancy O.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How do I convert a utube video to .flv to put in Flash
                magenta141 Level 1

Thanks for answer.  I have tried embeding the code into page but for  some

reaon it would not work.

Can't figure what I am doing wrong.

Regards

Jo Scott

• 5. Re: How do I convert a utube video to .flv to put in Flash

What's the URL to your page?

Some browsers won't play YouTube videos locally for security reasons.  Always upload your page to a server to test.

Nancy O.

• 6. Re: How do I convert a utube video to .flv to put in Flash
                    mhollis55 Level 4

Actually, some companies will not allow any content from YouTube to be played in their browsers, because they figure that, if you are watching YouTube videos, you're not working.

In this case, the only decent solution is to host the video on your server. While Flash is a viable method, it will never play on mobile devices. Additionally, many modern browsers don't have the Flash plugin. So the right solution is to use HTML5 and host it yourself.

Now, Nancy likes FlowPlayer: http://flowplayer.org/

You need to purchase it in order to make it work for your website, but it will absolutely work with 100% of the browsers out there.

The other (and free) way to deal with this is to transcode your video into:

.M4V

.OGG

.WebM

And to call whichever will work with the client browser. Additionally, you have to include the MIME types that your server may not understand (usually OGG Theora).

Here is how to do HTML5 video in your web page:

<video width="640" height="480" controls preload="metadata" poster="path-to/your-poster.jpg">

<source src="path-to/your-movie.mp4" type='video/mp4; codecs="avc1.42E01E, H.264"'>

<source src="path-to/your-movie.theora.ogv" type='video/ogg; codecs="theora, vorbis"'>

<source src="path-to/your-movie.webm" type='video/webm; codecs="vp8, vorbis"'>

</video>

Now, please understand, this presupposes that the video is standard 640x480 video and not high-def or 16:9 widescreen. You would make the dimensions match what the video size really is. You can make the poster out of anything, a frame from the movie or something else entirely.

Here is a link to a page that does what I am describing here:

http://ghostsofnewengland.org/

Go down to the bottom of the page and you'll see the video. Look at the sourcecode in your browser and see how it works.

Now, with respect to MIME types. If you have a Linux/Apache server, you may need to edit your .htaccess file thusly:

Download .htaccess, which should be in your root folder for your website (if not, create one) and add these lines:

AddType audio/ogg .oga

AddType video/ogg .ogv

AddType application/ogg .ogg

AddHandler application-ogg .ogg .ogv .oga

If you are on a Windows Server, you may have to use your control panel to do this. Also, many Linux/Apache servers have a control panel option for adding MIME types.

-Mark

• 7. Re: How do I convert a utube video to .flv to put in Flash
                      Now, Nancy likes FlowPlayer: http://flowplayer.org

Actually, I use PicklePlayer because you only need one file type (either MP4 or M4V for web).  Pickle also supports playlists, poster frames and customizable player skins.

QuickTime Pro can export videos to M4V for web -- which offers the best user experience (no waiting).

Nancy O.