7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2014 10:00 AM by A.T. Romano

adobe premier cannot find movie clips

Photoquest8458

i have been working on a movie in adobe premier elements.

all of a sudden it wants me to "find" each original movie file, even though the files have not been moved.

how can i get adobe to find the files, where it originally knew they were?

• 1. Re: adobe premier cannot find movie clips
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What version of PrE are you using?

What OS version?

Are you in Expert View Mode, or other?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: adobe premier cannot find movie clips
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Photoquest8458

Can you actually see the originals at their computer hard drive location?

Are you getting "Where is the file.....?" messages.

If so, you use those messages to reconnect the project to where you know the missing files are. Obviously from that type of message, the project does not know where they are and needs for you to make the reconnect.

If you are not moving, deleting, renaming folder for the source media after you save close the project, then look into the possibility of a drive letter change for your external hard drive, if any of the missing are stored on that external hard drive.

Please consider and supply further details so that we might help you sort out this issue.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: adobe premier cannot find movie clips
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Photoquest8458

As per Hunt's post, I forgot to include my usual lead off in posts such as yours, that is,

"What version of Premiere Elements are you working with and on what computer operating system is it running?"

That information is good to have as background although the missing media syndrome is common to Premiere Elements (any version) when the project's media become disconnect from the project.

ATR

Add On...For furture reference and when indicated, the Project Archiver (Archive or Copy option) of the program is a good one to keep in one's workflow lifesavers.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc19b622510385d4355c-7d cb.html

• 4. Re: adobe premier cannot find movie clips
                Photoquest8458 Level 1

premier elements 11.

drive letter of external drive holding files has not changed.

when i clicked on the files in PE, i was trying to figure out where it was looking for the files, but  could not find it

• 5. Re: adobe premier cannot find movie clips
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Photoquest8458

You have to know where the files are and be able to see them (independant of Premiere Elements).

When you get the "Where is the file....?" message, the dialog will open with the Look In: at a certain place on the hard drive. But, that is not meant to indicate that is the spot where the files are or should be. It is a deflaut opening of sorts. You have to navigate in the Look In: to the location where you know for a fact that the file exist. Then go through the select/reconnect process for that particular file. Then on to the next and the next "Where is the file....?" message. If you get lucky, there have been times when doing one, triggers the rest to fall into place.

Have you understood that, been there, and done that?

Please let me know if I have interpreted your present situation correctly.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: adobe premier cannot find movie clips
                    Photoquest8458 Level 1

i will try that.

is there a way to see where PE is looking for them in the first place

• 7. Re: adobe premier cannot find movie clips
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Photoquest8458

You asked

is there a way to see where PE is looking for them in the first place

It is going to be looking for the missing file in the path that existed to it when the file was imported into the project.

a. When you open the project, if the file was not missing, you could go to Project Assets, right click the file's thumbnail, and select Properties where it should show the path to the file.

b. But, when the file is missing, you are hit with the "Where Is File....?" message and cannot open Project Assets. And even if you could by clicking Skip It to open the project and open Project Assets, right clicking the file's thumbnail followed by selecting Properties is not going to help since now the Properties readout does not include the path description.

c. But, if you go to the Elements Organizer 11 and the file's thumbnail is there, then you can use "Information" to see the path expected. Typically when you import a video into Premiere Elements 11 workspace a copy is also automatically placed in the Elements Organizer 11.

If you remember where the file was when it was first imported into the project, then great...browse to there and make the reconnect if the files are still there.

If the files still exist wherever they are, you can browse to there and make the reconnect to that new location.

Please review, check out, and then let us know the outcome.

If more clarification is needed, do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR