11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2014 7:34 PM by A.T. Romano

Workflow HV30 30p to Blu Ray

idrive67elky

I am having the hardest time trying to figure out how to import / edit / burn (not even sure if that is the right terms) my family's home videos.  I am a beginner with all of this, but competent if someone can just point me the right way...

I have a big backlog of HDV home videos all shot in 30p mode on my Canon Vixia HV30. 

I want to do 3 things, in order of priority:

1) Transfer the raw footage from the HDV in the camera to a hard drive(or other media) in max quality for storage and easy retrieval in the future if and when the tape based camera dies.

2) Burn the footage to a Blu Ray disc for playing in a BR player connected to my TV. (no conversion needed?)

3) Edit the footage in the highest possible quality and burn to BR.

4) convert and then burn the footage to a DVD disc for playing in a DVD player connected to my TV. (lower priority)

I have an HV30, all 30p footage, a powerful new pc, a blu ray writer with discs, Premiere Elements 12.

None of the default project setting seem to match the progressive 30p format that I filmed in.  Is PE12 capable of doing what I want it to?

Thanks for the help!

• 1. Re: Workflow HV30 30p to Blu Ray
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Which version of Premiere Elements are you using?

Also, by HDV, you do mean tape-based HDV, right?

If version 12, attach your camcorder to your computer with a FireWire cable and use Premiere Elements' Add Media/From HDV Camcorder to capture your footage.

In versions 11 or 12, when you add this footage to your timeline, the program will automatically set up your project based on your video specs. In earlier versions of the program, you will need to to this manually.

Create your menu system using the Movie Menus tool in the Tools set. Then use Publish & Share/To Disc to output your BluRay.

This workflow will give you the highest possible quality BluRay. I don't believe Premiere Elements is capable of producting a 30p BluRay disc.

• 2. Re: Workflow HV30 30p to Blu Ray
            A.T. Romano Level 7

idrive67elky

1. You will need a firewire connection for your HDV data capture firewire into Premiere Elements 12 capture window.

(The project preset will be NTSC HDV HDV 1080p30).

http://help.adobe.com/fr_FR/premiereelements/using/WS5CDA0F91-60F1-4b79-ABF6-E9E75F498DB2. html#WS2AF26FB5-4C63-4c46-9DB3-7249558F6528

2. If "1" does not work for you, then you do a HDV data capture firewire into HDVSplit and then import the .m2t split clips into a Premiere Elements project with its Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets. In "1" you are putting MPEG2.mpg on the Timeline. In "2", you are putting MPEG2.m2t on the Timeline.

http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm

3. Publish+Share/Disc/Blu-ray with preset = H.264 1920 x 1080i NTSC Dolby.

or

4. Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

5. For export to folder saved to computer hard drive compare

Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with preset = MPEG2 - 1920 x 1080i30 (MPEG2.m2t)

with

Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with preset = M2T - H.264 1920 x 1080i30 (H.264.m2t)

I am purposely not selecting the 1440 x 1080 choices since a 16:9 flag comes with them to stretch the 1440 x 1080 to 1920 x 1080 for display after encoding.

Please review and see if any of the above works for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Workflow HV30 30p to Blu Ray
              A.T. Romano Level 7

idrive67elky

I did not see SG's post until after I had posted mine.

Premiere Elements 12 Burn to Blu-ray (NTSC) is only going to give you interlaced video at 29.97 interlaced frames per second.

Interestingly, if you do the AVCHD burn to DVD disc, you can have AVCHD on the DVD disc in format

H.264 1920 x 1080p NTSC Dolby (@ 23.976 progressive frames per second).

ATR

• 4. Re: Workflow HV30 30p to Blu Ray
                idrive67elky Level 1

Thanks for the great start! 

I do have a firewire connection and had previously used HDVSplit when my older version of PrE(8 or 9) no longer imported from the HDV for some reason.  Now with 12, I can still use HDVSplit if it is the only way to maintain the progressive film rather than having PrE12 auto convert to interlaced.  I understand that from my HV30, the 30p  is actually ????x1080p 29.97frames per sec in a 60i wrapper, which i assume is 60 frames per second interlaced. The ???? is 1920 or 1440? I do not want the picture to be stretched, but I have read something about the sensor shoots in 2:3 or something...this is where I get lost in the technical details.

When I burn to Blu-ray, will it be converted to interlaced? Does that mean I will lose quality/resolution?

• 5. Re: Workflow HV30 30p to Blu Ray
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you use the workflow we've described, your results should look great -- every bit as good as your original video.

Why not do a test run and see?

• 6. Re: Workflow HV30 30p to Blu Ray
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

idrive67elky

When you see 60i, that is 60 fields per seconds, not frames per second. The 60i fields per second would be 30/29.97 frames per second.

http://www.neuron2.net/LVG/interlacing.html

Both 1440 x 1080 with its 16:9 flag and 1920 x 1080 give displays of 1920 x 1080. When you use the one with the 16:9 flag, you depend on the player to recognize that flag and stretch the 4:3 1440 x 1080 to 16:9 1920 x 1080. The 1920 x 1080 does not have such a dependency and thus bypasses that concern.

All should go very well as described as SG wrote. As he suggested, do the mini test run before the grand project and verify in your specific computer environment with your specific footage.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 7. Re: Workflow HV30 30p to Blu Ray
                      idrive67elky Level 1

Ok, so I have not actually tried this yet...

Now my issue is that my Blu-ray drive is not recognized in premiere elements.  Is there a full compatibility list somewhere? http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/supported-devices-premiere-elements.html seems like it is not a complete list.

I am using an Asus BW-12B1STa which is actually a re-branded LG BH14NS40. Only the LG version is officially compatible with my Optical Quantum Blu-ray discs, so I plan to "upgrade" the firmware so it is recognized as the LG.

Does anyone know if this LG (or ASUS) drive will be or should be recognizable by adobe premiere elements?

• 8. Re: Workflow HV30 30p to Blu Ray
                        idrive67elky Level 1

Update:

I have chatted several times with Adobe.  The Asus drive is not definitively compatible.  The LG drive is compatible per adobe.  Using he LG drive with Optical Quantam BD-R media I get the dreaded "media not present" error.  I then bought some Verbatim BD-R media...Same error.  Contacted Adobe chat yet again, got the response "Vaibhav: Well this has been reported as a bug and engineering is working on this".  After waiting on hold for 30 minutes today, of course no chance of customer service making this right with any type of refund or discount on the Pro CC/Encore options within Adobe.  Uggh. What an awful company.

Anyways, I see A.T. has a post on how to use a phantom drive, I may give that a try: http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/11/pe12-disc-imagephantom-burner-pe.html

Has ANYONE been able to publish a Blu-ray directly from PrE12? How in the world did you beat the "media not present" error?

• 9. Re: Workflow HV30 30p to Blu Ray
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

idrive67elky

You seem to have all the ingredients for a successful Premiere Elements 12 burn to Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc.

I have no problems with the Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7 64 bit computer burn to Blu-ray (direct)

a. LG Blu-ray internal burner BH12

b. Verbatim BD-R (6X, 25 GB), Verbatim BD-RE (2X, 25 GB), or Verbatim BD-RE DL (2X, 50 GB)

There are various maneuvers that have worked for some

a. Burn dialog Rescan

b. Put disc in burner tray before you open Premiere Elements

c. Do an uninstall/reinstall with ccleaner run through in between the uninstall and reinstall.

We look forward to your results with the Phantom burner in conjunction with Premiere Elements 12 burn to Blu-ray.

Please remind me what computer operating system your Premiere Elements 12 is running on.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Workflow HV30 30p to Blu Ray
                            idrive67elky Level 1

Win7 Pro 64 bit.

I had already tried a and b.  c will come at some point, I am just beyond frustrated with this program.  Thanks for you suggestions though!

• 11. Re: Workflow HV30 30p to Blu Ray
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

idrive67elky

Thanks for the update. Sorry the news was not better.

"c" has worked for some. So, there is a ray of hope in that.

I still have not beaten the "media not present" message when I try to use the Phantom Burner in conjunction with Premiere Elements 11 and 12 Blu-ray in Windows 8.1 64 bit. I have the trial Phantom Burner and have not determined if that glitch would be absent in the purchased product in Windows 8.1 64 bit. All the rest of the details are in my blog post cited previously on Disc Image and Phantom Burner and Premiere Elements.

We will be watching for further news of your progress.

Thanks for looking at the troubleshooting suggestions.

ATR