6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2014 1:59 PM by A.T. Romano

Help with Adobe Premiere Elements window appearing!

blaqk Level 1

I've owned Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0 for about 5 or 6 years now. I still have the original disc and serial number. I installed it on my laptop (Sony Vaio bought in 2009. Runs on Vista), and when I open the program up and click on "files and folders" and double click on a video, I keep getting a pop-up saying "Adobe Premiere Elements is not working." And then the program closes. It frustrates me. I can't afford a new update. Anyway this can be fixed? It never did this to me on my old laptop which I do not have anymore. Thank you for your time.

• 1. Re: Help with Adobe Premiere Elements window appearing!
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

1. What are the specs. of that Sony Vaio?
          2. What is the video display adapter - your video card/chip?
          3. What is the number and date of the installed video driver?
          4. Is that the latest from the nVidia, or AMD/ATI Web site?

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Help with Adobe Premiere Elements window appearing!
            blaqk Level 1

oh wow, I don't know. Specifically, I own a VGN CS110E

I just realized that this window will not appear if the video is REALLY short, like 15 seconds. But if I try to import a video that is about a minute long, it comes up and then closes the program.

The videos I like to edit are from my Flip camera. I'm not a computer genius, obviously. But I am a Mass Communication student eager to learn

• 3. Re: Help with Adobe Premiere Elements window appearing!
              A.T. Romano Level 7

blaqk

Before you focus on the Premiere Elements 4 itself, let us look at the computer environment and the properties of the video that you are importing into the project.

1. Given you have Premiere Elements 4. Is it installed on Windows Vista 32 or 64 bit?

2. What are the properties of this video that you are importing into the new project and what have you set as the project preset to match the properties of that source media?...I am looking for video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, pixel aspect ratio, duration. If you were to import a few jpg photos into a new project would that shut down the project/program as well?

3. Do you have the latest verision of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 4? Do you have the program set for Run As Administrator and set to run from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

4. Is your video card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the video card?

5. Is your computer optimized with a program such as ccleaner (regular cleaner and registry cleaner)?

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

6. Please describe your computer resources?

Let us start here and then we can decide what next based on your details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Help with Adobe Premiere Elements window appearing!
                A.T. Romano Level 7

blaqk

I did not see Hunt's post until after I posted mine.

My questions were based on the assumption that you were an experienced Premiere Elements user since you spoke about Premiere Elements 4 and 4 to 5 years of ownership.

The questions asked are important to get at the core of your issue...needed are those details of computer and program and what your source media.

Please review the questions and we will go through each phase at whatever pace you want to.

Premiere Elements 4 is a good program so we are eager to see your moving forward with your project using it.

We look forward to the opportunity to help.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Help with Adobe Premiere Elements window appearing!
                  blaqk Level 1

64 bit

I upload quicktime videos because that's what my flip camera usually saves them as on my laptop. And yes, it is the latest version of quicktime. Uploading jpg photos hasn't crashed the program yet, however, these photos have been resized.

I do not know about the video card driver. In all honesty, that's the first time I've heard that term.

And no, I do not have ccleaner on my computer ( i just did a search and checked)

• 6. Re: Help with Adobe Premiere Elements window appearing!
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

blaqk

Let us focus on the videos to rule them in or out of the issue, expecially since resized photos are not seeming to cause any problems.

You say that they come from your Flip camera and you end up with a file with a .mov file extension. Do you know the properties of these videos, such as, video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, pixel aspect ratio, duration.

If you do not have that information, perhaps we can get that information by knowing the brand/model/settings for the Flip camera that you are using to record these videos. If we rule out the video format as contributing to the problem, I think that we need to look after the video card that the computer is using. You can find that information by going to the Device Manager/Display Adapters of your computer. It may be that your video card driver version needs to be updated. If you can get the name of your video card, we can help you to find out if you need such an update.

Video card can also be called Graphics Card, Display Card.

We might next turn to computer resources if the above points to compromised resources if your source files are too resource demanding for your project.

Please review the above as well as the content of prior posts (3 & 4) and then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR