15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2014 11:23 AM by A.T. Romano

Copy an existing DVD and burn it

AZ Aurora Level 1

I have been on a learning curve and had finished several projects, I just recently learned how to archive a project so that I can revert to it after it has been burnt and able to burn another disc at a later date. However I have a completed project that has been burnt to a disc, and I do not have the project saved so that I can revert to the archives and burn another disc.

My question is there a way that I can "copy" the existing disc so that I can burn it again to another blank DVD? Or do I have to recreate that project again? Thanks

PS I had done the project with Adobe 8 and still have that program on my computer, however I have a new Adobe Photoshop and Premier Elements 12 ready for download.

• 1. Re: Copy an existing DVD and burn it
          A.T. Romano Level 7

AuroraAz

Sounds like great progress there. There is a dramatic difference in the workspaces of version 8.0/8.0.1 and 12. The principles remain the same, but those features will move around or disappear.

If you have a finalized DVD-VIDEO on DVD and you want a copy, best to use the copy feature of the burn software that came with your DVD burner. It does an excellent job. Do you have such a program? If not, let me know and I will make another suggestion.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Copy an existing DVD and burn it
            AZ Aurora Level 1

Unfortunately I do not have a copy feature with my DVD burner. I have tried looking for something of that nature and was unable to accomplish the task. I will wait for your other suggestion Thanks

• 3. Re: Copy an existing DVD and burn it
              A.T. Romano Level 7

AuroraAz

I am not sure the following Nero free product will suit your purposes. According to the write up, it should.

http://www.nero.com/enu/downloads/previous-versions/download-nero-burnlite-free.php

Also, I believe there is a way to do this with the free ImgBurn program. (Watch out for the bloatware if you download and install this.)

http://download.cnet.com/ImgBurn/3000-2646_4-10847481.html

This one is a two step process

a. you put your already made DVD in the burner tray and use the ImgBurn button for "Create Image file from Disc". This image file is saved to the computer hard drive.

b. then you replace the already made DVD with a blank DVD in the burner tray and use your image file and the ImgBurn category "Write Image File to Disc" to get your copy of the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

Please check those out and let me know if you need any supplemental information on them.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Copy an existing DVD and burn it
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I second ATR's suggestion to use ImgBurn.

It's an indispensible tool for every videomaker. And it's free!

• 5. Re: Copy an existing DVD and burn it
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1322583 for notes on installing Imgburn WITHOUT any toolbar add-ons

• 6. Re: Copy an existing DVD and burn it
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

AuroraAz

Just starting my day.

I wanted to mention. If you try the IMG Burn workflow and need help with IMG Burn and the copy DVD procedure, do not hesitate to say so. I will give you a step by step with screenshots if needed.

More later.

ATR

• 7. Re: Copy an existing DVD and burn it
                      AZ Aurora Level 1

Okay I had asked you about "bloatware" but I "Googled" it and have hopefully installed IMG burn without the "bloatware".

That said yes if you would be so kind as to give me a "step by step" to using the software that would be greatly appreciated. I did open it and not at all sure where to begin and what speed ect. to make a high quality copy so that I can burn it to a new blank DVD.

Thanks

• 8. Re: Copy an existing DVD and burn it
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

AuroraAz

Just to let you know I am starting to prepare the step by step of the procedure for doing an exact copy of a DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

Coming soon in the next few hours.

ATR

• 9. Re: Copy an existing DVD and burn it
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

AuroraAz

Phase 1

Put your DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc that you want to copy into the DVD burner tray.

Open ImgBurn to see what is represented in Screenshot 1

Screenshot 1

IM1.JPG

Click once on the "Create Image file from disc" choice. In the interface that appears, click on File Menu and then "Browse for a destination file" and do just that.

Screenshot 2

FileMenu.jpg

When the Save As dialog appears, save the image file to be created to the computer desktop as an .iso file. Click once on the " Read" (disc on page that blue arrow is pointing to) at the bottom of the Screenshot 2. The process that follows is automatic and will conclude with the message "Operation Successfully Completed". An image of the DVD-VIDEO in .iso file format is now saved to the computer desktop.

Phase 2

Insert a blank DVD disc in the DVD burner tray. Open ImgBurn to view the interface that was seen in the first phase (See Screenshot 1). Click on the choice  of "Write Image File To Disc".

Then File Menu/"Browse to source file" which is the .iso file that was created and saved to the desktop in Phase 1. Select the .iso file in the Open Dialog and click Open at the bottom of that dialog to get the file in to the program.

Click once on the "Write" (disc with the red marking) at the bottom of the interface to start the process that will result in the copy of the original DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

The process with proceed with an automatic opening and closing of the burner tray near the end of the processes, followed by the appearance of a "Operation Successfully Completed" message. The disc will be ejected at this point automatically, manually if necessary.

Note at the very beginning there were options for

Settings

Write Speed

Copies

I proofread the above a few times. But, if you see anything that looks "out of sorts", please let me know.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Copy an existing DVD and burn it
                            AZ Aurora Level 1

Thank you for all of the above. Question before I burn, should "verify" be checked", and what write speed gives the best copy for viewing?  Thanks

• 11. Re: Copy an existing DVD and burn it
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

AuroraAz

I would leave the Speed at whatever it defaults to. If problems we will deal with them. I do not think that there will be problems.

Leave "verify" checked.

ATR

• 12. Re: Copy an existing DVD and burn it
                                AZ Aurora Level 1

Thank you once again, I was able to copy the DVD and burn a new one. All was not lost so that is great!

The only thing is that it did not copy my script that I had added when I produced the original, and when it ended it did not "go back" to the beginning, I had to let it play the remaining blank part of the DVD and than it reverted back to the beginning. These are minor in comparison to having to redo the whole project.

Thanks for everything.

• 13. Re: Copy an existing DVD and burn it
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

AuroraAz

Thanks for the good news of successful copying of your DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

I suspect the part about

when it ended it did not "go back" to the beginning, I had to let it play the remaining blank part of the DVD and than it reverted back to the beginning.

was related to something that was on those tracks after the end of your presentation.

a. Expand the Timeline with the -+ slider above the Timeline.

b. Press the End key of the computer main keyboard and determine where the "end" is according to the program.

c. Remove what is ever at that "end".

d. After removal of debris or whatever you detect, then hit End key again to make sure it ends at the intended last item of your presentation.

Please let us know if that worked for you.

On the other matter, the "script", without more details, I am not sure what happened there.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: Copy an existing DVD and burn it
                                    AZ Aurora Level 1

Okay once again I need to say "thank you", on closer inspection I had not watched the ending before burning and since I no longer have the original project I cannot correct that error. However, I rewatched the original dvd burned and that also did not revert back to the beginning. I had neglected to catch that before I finalized the project. My mistake. I have watched other completed projects and had paid closer attention to that detail. There is so much to watch for and pay attention to in "amatuer land"!

As usual thanks for your assistance. I look forward to installing version 12 and using that program.

• 15. Re: Copy an existing DVD and burn it
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

AuroraAz

Thanks for the update.

Best wishes with your Premiere Elements 12 Windows.

Again, never hesitate to ask if you have questions or need clarification on anything written.

ATR