11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2014 2:17 PM by 45Pinto

Uninstall/reinstall question

45Pinto

Can I uninstall Elements 12 and reinstall on the same machine without deactivating? If not, I do not see "deactivate" on the help menu like other Adobe products. (Elements will rarely even load on my i7 machine and I want to reinstall it on the C drive to see if that helps.)

• 1. Re: Uninstall/reinstall question
          A.T. Romano Level 7

45Pinto

There is a Deactivation in Premiere Elements 12 but it is not what you saw in versions earlier than 12 where you did the deactivation via opened project/Help Menu/Deactivate.

In Premiere Elements 12, Deactivate is called Sign Out. So, the route is opened project/Help Menu/Sign Out.

Premiere Elements (any version) is best installed on the Local Disc C. What version and edition of Windows do you have your Premiere Elements 12 running on? Where is Premiere Elements 12 installed now? From what you wrote, it sounds like we are dealing with the same computer and you are comparing drive locations for the program install.

If you get caught up in the uninstalls/reinstalls, consider the sequence of

1. Deactivate (Sign Out via Help Menu/Sign Out)

2. Uninstall (Control Panel Route)

3. ccleaner run through to get rid of leftovers from incomplete uninstalls/reinstall

4. Reinstall with anti-virus and firewalls disabled

Please let us know the outcome. Any questions before you start doing any of the above, please stop and ask for clarification or supplemental information.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Uninstall/reinstall question
            45Pinto Level 1

Thank you for your quick response. I suspected "Sign Out".

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium. I had Elements 9 and It would not run so I upgraded to 12 and have the same experience. The program will load frequently from the initial boot but not after.

I have most of my programs, including Adobe Design Premium on a drive other than C, so that's where I put Elements. I'll see if it will function on C.

Also, if you'd be so kind, I have another quick question. (I came from the initial Premier Pro from long ago. It of course doesn't handle any of the new formats so I went to Elements. I haven't worked in video, and certainly not HD formats for a long while, so I'm trying to get myself reoriented.)  The only project setting available to me from the "New Project" splash screen is 1920 x 1080. All the other buttons are grayed out and I can't change anything when the program is open. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you so much for your help.

• 3. Re: Uninstall/reinstall question
              A.T. Romano Level 7

45Pinto

Premiere Elements 11 and 12 take over setting the project preset based on the properties of the first video drag to the Expert workspace Timeline. Sometimes it does it OK, sometimes not. In this scheme, you never do get to see the new project dialog as in prior versions. But it is there.

To set the project preset manually, open a new project, go to File Menu/New/Project. Set your project preset to match the properties of your source media. Before you exit the final dialog in that area, be sure to put a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". Then back in the Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace, import your media via Add Media/Files and Folders (if appropriate)/Project Assets from where you drag the file(s) to the Timeline.

Definitely do the Premiere Elements 12 default installation (Local Disc C/Program Files/Adobe/....) and assure Scratch Disks set up so that they are directed to a location with enough free hard drive space to accept them...they can be directed to an external hard drive (formatted NTFS rather than FAT32 - Windows). In the opened Premiere Elements project, see Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks.)

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Uninstall/reinstall question
                45Pinto Level 1

Got it.

Thank you so much for your help!

• 5. Re: Uninstall/reinstall question
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

45Pinto

Thanks for the update.

Glad the suggestions worked for you.

Please do not hesitate to ask if any further questions on this or if you need clarification on anything written.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Uninstall/reinstall question
                    45Pinto Level 1

Thank you! The C drive installation seems to have solved my problems. (Fingers crossed!)

I do have another quick question.

Before I posted my question I searched the forum and saw that you had suggested turning off "Background Rendering" and "Auto Analyze" I don't see those items is the locations you indicated. Are they no longer relevant in Elements 12?

Thank you again!

• 7. Re: Uninstall/reinstall question
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

45Pinto

The automatic Background Rendering was discontinued after Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1.

The AutoAnalzyer options still survive in the Elements Organizer 12, but with another new. Instead of Elements Organizer 8, Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoAnalzyer Options, we see Elements Organizer 12, Edit Menu/Preferences/MediaAnalysis.

I prefer to use AutoAnalzyer on an on demand or when needed basis. On of the side effects of leaving it enabled is you end up finding your video files split into clips and stacked. Typically I turn off all the options under MediaAnalysis. Determine what works for you. I have observed that there are a few  program tasks that use AutoAnalyzer as part of their processes even with the Elements Organizer 12 AutoAnalyzer options disabled there.

Great news of your success today. Great job.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 8. Re: Uninstall/reinstall question
                        45Pinto Level 1

Yes, well... I guess I spoke too soon. The program was teasing me.

It loaded and functioned two or three times and now it's back to it's old tricks, which is not functioning.

I try to load the program - new project - the progress bar will run for a loooong time, then disappear. I press the new project button again and the program crashes. Just like the previous install. Interesting that Organizer loads and seems to function fine.

I may just give up on this. This is ridiculous. I've been trying to make it work since May. It appears that it is just not going to work on this machine and I'm not going to update to Windows 8 and reinstall all the programs.

Do you have an opinion on Vegas or something else that may be a little more tolerant on this OS?

Thank you for your fine help!

• 9. Re: Uninstall/reinstall question
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

45PInto

Sorry the news was not good.

On rare occasions I will look at Windows Live Movie Maker, but that is as far away from Premiere Elements as I ever get. (I am not affiliated with Adobe in any way.)

If you decide to go to another video editor, please go the free tryout route before purchase.

Recap for a moment, did you right click the Premiere Elements desktop icon and select Run As Adminstrator? Have you checked out where you have the Scratch Disks pointed and how much space is at those locations. Best point the Scratch Disks all to the same place. For the purposes of the troubleshooting, best the Local Disc C. Anything else in the original custom install that needs adjusts?

What happened on your computer from the time your reported that program installation to the Local Disc C solved the problems to the point now where the problem is back?

Let us think about this some more. But if you decide enough is enough then please tryout before purchase for any new video editor.

More later.

ATR

• 10. Re: Uninstall/reinstall question
                            45Pinto Level 1

Thank you again for your help A. T.

It's like the system just runs out of resources. Quite a puzzle. I have 174 Gigs of overhead/free space on C drive and 95 Gigs of free space on a separate scratch disk. Nothing changed since installation. It just runs out of gas. It will come up again on reboot...maybe.

I'm currently trying it on my i7 laptop to see how it will function there.

Thanks.

• 11. Re: Uninstall/reinstall question
                              45Pinto Level 1

Well, it's basically the same problem on the laptop which has Windows 7 OS. It might be a little better, but it's boot and reboot to get anything done.

With two completely different systems having the same basic problems, I'm surprised all Windows users aren't experiencing something similar.