4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2014 4:57 PM by ShaneRoney

Elements 11 change position & scale at the same time

ShaneRoney Level 1

I have Premiere Elements 11. Can I change position and scale of the same clip over time using keyframes? I have figured out how to zoom in and out and how to pan using keyframes, but when I try to do both, the the first effect applied gets reset.

• 1. Re: Elements 11 change position & scale at the same time
          A.T. Romano Level 7

ShaneRoney

Are you in Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded and the Position and Scale properties there? Or are you trying to do keyframing at the Timeline clip's rubberband level?

Assuming the Motion Panel expanded route....

After you hit Toggle Animation with your Timeline Indicator at the start of your segment with Position and Scale at the start values, move the Timeline Indicator right to the next spot, set the Position fields to where you want them, move the Scale to where you want it, and then move the Timeline Indicator right to the next spot as you move across the clip in this routine.

At a fixed Timeline Indicator position do both sets before moving the Timeline Indicator to the next spot.

Assure yourself that you can keyframe Position property by itself and Scale property by itself. Then start again and do both at the same time as suggested above.

If there are still glitches in the process, please describe further, and we will work out the details where we are differing.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Elements 11 change position & scale at the same time
            ShaneRoney Level 1

Thanks! The critical part I was missing was the "Toggle Animation" selection. It looked grey out and I didn't realize I could select it. I was applying presets and then changing the numbers to fit, so when I applied a motion preset, it reset the scaling component. I was thinking perhaps Elements only allowed one effect at a time.

• 3. Re: Elements 11 change position & scale at the same time
              A.T. Romano Level 7

ShaneRoney

Thanks for the update.

An interesting point...when you try to use the Presets under fx Effects for a pan and zoom effect, you find that you can do a pan effect on a give photo or a zoom effect on a given photo but not both.

In contrast, when you do the keyframing of a property like Position or Scale in Motion Panel expanded, you can do both (or more) at a given time as you move across the clip. You can even get a look at keyframes being placed (See Stopwatch looking icon at the very top right, to the left of those two tiny arrows there. The icon is name Show/hide keyframes).

The Toggle Animation button (Also Stopwatch looking) is in the row below the Show/hide keyframe icon. In the screenshot, it is masked by the pop up "Show/hide keyframe".

P&Z-1.jpg

ATR

• 4. Re: Elements 11 change position & scale at the same time
                ShaneRoney Level 1

Thanks - this is all valuable information. I didn't realize you could use keyframes to change effect parameters as well. Interesting.

I shoot mainly drumset performance videos, so up until now I had plenty of movement in my raw videos and didn't need to learn any of this. I'm glad I got into it.

Thanks for the help.

Shane