11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2014 6:30 AM by metoria

ICC Colour profiles help!?

metoria

Hi all,

I just started a new job and on Friday I sent my first work off to the printers.

It came up with error messages saying about colour error with ICC profiles being incorrect.

(I use a pre set export setting)

When I contacted the printers he said it wasn't a problem this time, but to take those profiles out my end next week/sort them out.

I have done a little reserach and looked on this forum  to see if I can answer my question but i am left confused and I was hoping someone on here could help.

So my questions are:

1. What exactly is a ICC profile
      2. How do i change or get rid of this so i do not have a error printing next time

Thank you in advance if you are able to help (i'm using CS6 atm)

Toria

• 1. Re: ICC Colour profiles help!?
          Danny Whitehead. Level 4

It came up with error messages saying about colour error with ICC profiles being incorrect.

What is the 'it'? At what point are you seeing this error?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICC_profile

If it's the printer telling you that you're using the wrong ICC profile for their printing conditions, they will have to tell you which one is correct, or provide you with their own. This would then be loaded onto your system and set as the CMYK Working Space in the Colour Settings of all your Adobe applications.

• 2. Re: ICC Colour profiles help!?
            metoria Level 1

Thank you for the reply,

This was the message i recieved!

FILES FAILED DUE TO INCORRECT COLOURSPACE AUTOMATIC CONVERSION SHOULD OCCUR: 2014-01-10 16:37:20 E Input file: Color space ICCBased was used but press device colorants only are expected on page 1 for file: EWE_150114_032REV.pdf., 2014-01-10 16:37:20 E Input file: Color space Indexed ICCBased was used but press device colorants only are expected on page 1 for file: EWE_150114_032REV.pdf., 2014-01-10 16:37:20 E Digital Master: Colorspace ICCBased was used but press device colorants only are expected on page 1 for file: EWE_150114_032REV.p1.pdf., 2014-01-10 16:37:20 E Digital Master: Colorspace Indexed ICCBased was used but press device colorants only are expected on page 1 for file: EWE_150114_032REV.p1.pdf.

Sorry I'm not much more help, i am quite lost with this alas!

Thank you again

Toria

• 3. Re: ICC Colour profiles help!?
              Danny Whitehead. Level 4

Where did you receive this message? An email from the printer? From some file submission software on your computer?

It looks like it's the printer's software generating this error, and I think it's up to them to tell yo exactly how to avoid it.

Which preset export setting are you using? If you post a screenshot of the 'Output' section of your 'Export Adobe PDF' dialogue box, I might be able to suggest settings that works. I'm thinking that maybe their RIP doesn't like  ICC profiles, and they just want untagged CMYK.

• 4. Re: ICC Colour profiles help!?
                Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ask your printers to provide a .joboptions file for you to use.

• 5. Re: ICC Colour profiles help!?
                  metoria Level 1

It was from the printers when i uploaded it onto thier system

My collauges pages didn't come up with this message it was just my own?

Untitled-1.jpg

Thank you again for your help!

I have been using one that was already preset when I went to export!

• 6. Re: ICC Colour profiles help!?
                    Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I usually have "Convert to Destination (Preserve Numbers)"

And don't include your profiles.

• 7. Re: ICC Colour profiles help!?
                      metoria Level 1

Thats great thanks so much.

Is there a way to tell if it has worked without uploading to the printers again as I would like to best it before hand?

Thanks

Toria

• 8. Re: ICC Colour profiles help!?
                        Danny Whitehead. Level 4

I second both of Eugene's posts. Ideally, they'd provide you with a .joboptions file and an appropriate CMYK profile. Failing that, "Convert to Destination (Preserve Numbers)" is a safer bet than including profiles. But, if you're in the UK or Europe, 'US Web Coated' is unlikely to be the most appropriate CMYK working space. 'Euroscale Coated' or FOGRA39 (I can't remember which one comes with Adobe software) are probably better.

• 9. Re: ICC Colour profiles help!?
                          Danny Whitehead. Level 4

Is there a way to tell if it has worked without uploading to the printers again as I would like to best it before hand?

Being as it's a quirk/feature of their system, I'd guess not.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: ICC Colour profiles help!?
                            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You really need to get more information from the printer, but I have a sneaking suspicion the problem here is that the export settings you used embed a color profile inthe PDF, and they don't want one.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: ICC Colour profiles help!?
                              metoria Level 1

Thank you all!

I did ring the printers in the end and he has helped me set it up in the correct was for them to print now!

So hopefully this Friday I wont run into the same issue!