21 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2014 7:03 AM by HDdzn

Workspace panel moves on Mavericks

timfink62 Level 1

I have a dual display setup at work, where the larger display holds the document window, and the smaller display holds most of the floating tool and function panels. I upgraded to OS X Mavericks, and now all the panels have moved onto the primary display. This is happening in all Adobe applications, whether CS6 or CC.

Even moving all the panels back to their previous positions and saving them under a new Workspace did no good. As soon as I leave one application, I go back to it to find the panels all on the primary display once again.

Will I have to trash all the prefs, or is this a new bug?

• 1. Re: Workspace panel moves on Mavericks
          timfink62 Level 1

I found out the solution on another post in Photoshop.com's user forums:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/multi_monitor_panel_behavior_in_os_x _mavericks

It seems everyone needs to go into the System Prefs on Mavericks, click Mission Control, and turn off "Displays have separate Spaces."

That's all.

• 2. Re: Workspace panel moves on Mavericks
            johnd59898678 Level 1

Did you ever find a solution? I have been chasing this one around for two months since upgrading to Mavericks and it is driving me nuts!

• 3. Re: Workspace panel moves on Mavericks
              timfink62 Level 1

Yes, I did. As I previously stated, go to the Apple menu > System Preferences > Mission Control and unclick the option "Displays have separate Spaces."

That solved that for me.

Take care.

• 4. Re: Workspace panel moves on Mavericks
                johnd59898678 Level 1

Thnaks for the reply... not so lucky here. I have been trying that for weeks, but still have the exact problem you originally described.

• 5. Re: Workspace panel moves on Mavericks
                  timfink62 Level 1

Perhaps there are some prefs settings to delete and start fresh. That might include the Adobe apps' prefs, Mission Control prefs (if you can find any), Spaces prefs...

What other Mission Control settings do you have? 

• 6. Re: Workspace panel moves on Mavericks
                    timfink62 Level 1

See if this discussion helps your situation at all:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5784348#5784348

Take care,

• 7. Re: Workspace panel moves on Mavericks
                      johnd59898678 Level 1

EVERYTHING is Mission Control is "unchecked" (all five checkboxes in top section). I have tried turing them back on, closing/reopening and then back off, but no effect.

• 8. Re: Workspace panel moves on Mavericks
                        johnd59898678 Level 1

Interesting discussion. I tired several things based on that, but still no solution yet.

If I RESET any of my saved Workspaces in Photoshop CC, Illustrator CC, InDesign CC, etc. they move all the palettes to my 2nd and/or 3rd monitor as I have them set up. Everything appears to be fine when switching between apps, etc., but if my Displays go to Sleep, when they wake up, all the Palettes move either to my main monitor or about 95% off screen on my secondary monitors.

My energy Preferences are set to Computer = Never Sleep and Displays = Sleep after 15 minutes.

I am guessing if I set Displays to NEVER sleep, that might solve the problem, but then they are running 24/7?

I should also mention, that even if I QUIT an application and reopen it, all my workspaces are retained. The only time I lose my workspace structures is when my Displays go to sleep and wake up. This also affects a non-Adobe Application (DragThing) that won't stay on my 2nd monitor after sleep - it always jumps back to the main monitor on wakeup.

• 9. Re: Workspace panel moves on Mavericks
                          timfink62 Level 1

OK. Certainly you don't want to have your displays on 24/7. Have you restarted since this happened, or logged out and back in?

It seems to me to be something having to do with energy saver or your sleep settings, though. Because, if your panels all retain their positions except during sleep, Mavericks is doing someting wierd there.

My problem was with switching between apps. I have no issues with sleep, etc.

Are you running any 3rd party screen savers?  Do you know how to trash preference files (.plist)?

• 10. Re: Workspace panel moves on Mavericks
                            johnd59898678 Level 1

Yes retarted and logged in and out many times.

No 3rd party Screen Savers and activating the OS Screensaver does not trigger the problem - only "sleep" as far as I can tell.

Not sure which .plist to trash?

• 11. Re: Workspace panel moves on Mavericks
                              timfink62 Level 1

I'd start with the Finder .plist and anything that seems to regulate windows or sleep settings.

• 12. Re: Workspace panel moves on Mavericks
                                johnd59898678 Level 1

I trashed the Finder.plist. and restarted. All Adobe Apps held settings after restart; however, when I chose Apple>Sleep from the main menu all the Workspace settings scrambled again.

Since it holds settings even through a RESTART, I am "guessing" that "Sleep" is not actually causing the problem, but maybe the "Wake Up" routine?

• 13. Re: Workspace panel moves on Mavericks
                                  timfink62 Level 1

From what I gather in going from screen saver to waking up, I get these two .plist files the most recently modified:

com.apple.spaces.plist

com.apple.HIToolbox.plist

You could try to look at your Preferences folder with sort at last modified, and see what you see.

I am still trying to see what processes seem to be most active right before/after waking from a screen saver activating.

I will look at Sleep a little later, when I can afford the time.

Take care.

• 14. Re: Workspace panel moves on Mavericks
                                    johnd59898678 Level 1

Well... after not being able to get the Mac to honor the Energy Saver settings for the past 2 days (i.e. Displays would not ever go into Sleep mode by themselves), today I was welcomed to the Reinstall MAC OS screen upon restart!

I went ahead and reinstalled the Mac OS from just before I trashed the Finder .plist and now the Mac is honoring the Energy Saver settings again and putting the Displays to sleep after 15 minutes. On the down side, all the Adobe Apps and DragThing are jumping screens again after sleep.

Must be something else going on. I have my 3 NEC Displays connected to 2 ATI Radeon HD 5770 cards. Main (center) display is connected by itself to the ATI card in PCI Slot 1 and the other two (right & left displays) are connected to the ATI card in PCI Slot 2.

I am running a NEW MacPro Mid 2012 6-Core that I purchased in November (to replace my Early 2008 MacPro). I was running the same 3 NEC monitors on both Macs (but different Video Cards). On my old Mac I was used to the "Desktop Icons" on the right and left monitors swapping screens upon restart every other time, but I never had a problem with anything else (Adobe Palettes, Drag Thing, etc) ever switching positions. When I first got my NEW MacPro I installed Snow Leopard and everything worked just like it did on my previous 2008 model. In January I "upgraded" to Mavericks and just about everything has been a problem since then (most of which is due to Mavericks working as it is designed to). Apparently I am just going to have to live with this problem when using Adobe Apps in Mavericks with 3 monitors and just get used to the workflow slowdown - this is a real pain, but going back to Snow Leopard now would also create lots of problems.

• 15. Re: Workspace panel moves on Mavericks
                                      BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Was this an upgrade install of Mavericks or did you do a clean install? An

upgrade is total crapshoot and if that's the way you went then you should

back up your data, deactivate the software and do a clean install.

• 16. Re: Workspace panel moves on Mavericks
                                        timfink62 Level 1

Well. First of all, congratulations on landing a new Mac Pro! Considering the newness of that machine and probably the very newness of your multiple display setup and expansion graphics cards, I think that might be the source of your issue. I have never encountered a setup of more than dual monitors. (You must be video editing?)

Do your panels all go back into place when you select your workspaces? If so, I would say this is a great inconvenience, but not altogether intollerable. Maybe you could set up an AppleScript that would automatically do that for you after you wake up from sleep or screen saver.

• 17. Re: Workspace panel moves on Mavericks
                                          johnd59898678 Level 1

I thought I did a Clean Install (new computer, new boot drive, deactivated Adobe and other apps, installed Mavericks then used Time Machine backup to restiore personal data and reactivate.

Of course, yesterday I was forced to erase the boot drive and reinstall Mavericks again from I guess the Recovery Partition? It took an hour and a half to download and install.

• 18. Re: Workspace panel moves on Mavericks
                                            johnd59898678 Level 1

I did not buy the "new 2013 MacPro", I scrambled to purchase maybe the last 2012 Mac Pro model for sale new. The 12- cores pretty much sold out in a few days and the 6-cores a few days later. Once Apple announced the new MacPro design, the last of the 2012 models were selling like they were on fire to people like me who did not want to get caught up in the new platform. I wanted to put off being a Beta-Tester for that when I knew the old configuration was reliable and should last me a few more years - in fact, my 2008 MacPro was still running great with no problems at all.

• 19. Re: Workspace panel moves on Mavericks
                                              timfink62 Level 1

Oh. Sorry for my misunderstanding. Still, my previous question still applies.

• 20. Re: Workspace panel moves on Mavericks
                                                johnd59898678 Level 1

Yes, everything rearranges perfectly if I choose Reset "XYZ" Workspace manually in each CC application

• 21. Re: Workspace panel moves on Mavericks
                                                  HDdzn

I have this same issue on the new MacPro using dual monitors.